Thanks

Bob Ross: Artiste or menace?

Sure, he looks innocent with his FRIENDLY SMILE and his WHITE MAN AFRO... but is he really an artist? My art teacher says that any man who has one technique for everything and who doesn't experiment can hardly desevre the title. Anyone want to offer up their ideas?
    http://4hcomic.com
    A webcomic of Apocalyptic proportions.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    dude Bob Ross is just a really relaxing guy to watch ...
    Power is nothing without intelligence.

Sketchbook!

Thanks
    perhaps he did all his experimenting off camera before taking his proccess on camera.

Thanks
    as much as i don't want to admit this, i think that yes he is an artist. as is thomas kinkade.

i mean really isn't techinque important in painting and creating art? once you find a tech that works for you why would you want to experiement? i don't recall zorn or sargent changing their techniques (or am i mistaken?). if it's not broke, then don't fix it.

i think you also have to keep in mind that he had 30 minutes to start and complete a painting so he had developed "shortcuts" that enabled him to do this and that would translate easy over to people wanting to learn to paint. i am curious to see if he did anything other than landscapes and also what his long duration paintings look like (maybe stuff he did outside his show that took hours or days).

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    In terms of technique, Bob Ross simply knew what to do in order to get what he wanted. I'm sure he didn't stumble on to all those shortcuts by accident. Wether painting the same woodsy outdoor scenes over and over again made him a one-trick pony, that's different matter. A lot my fellow students here USM think he was unoriginal. Personally, I think he should've been able to do whatever he wanted as long as he was satysfied with the results. He may not have been all that versitile but who cares as long as he did what made him happy?

RIP

Thanks
    Bob Ross rocked his whole job was to teach old ladies how to paint over a television even if they had no real talent and to be honest his intructions are pretty easy to fallow and he is very knowledgable about what he is trying to teach ...this whole thing goes back to the old discussion ... " what is an artist " ...my ex girlfriend said I was not an artist just a slave to a buisness just because I did commercial art ..anywho what a B !!!

Thanks
    bob ross is great, your teacher's a hater...

an artist can inspire. and he was sublime

Thanks
    I have alot of respect for Bob Ross, you're teacher i just jealous of the fro.
    Last edited by troymcoy; July 20th, 2004 at 03:09 AM.

Thanks
    Hahaha...the title of this thread gave me some really bizarre ideas...Bob Ross as a "menace"...hahaha...I dunno..I mean really...does that man look like a menace to you?? :hh: Poor Bob...he just wants to paint happy trees!
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    i loved watching his show man, like some one said, it was very relaxing.
    ive seen some of his originals hanging in a restarant, they were much more impressionistic that his TV works...and he used ALOT of paint on that canvas.was pretty cool

so ya, bob ross=teh fro goodness!
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks

Cool

There are no mistakes. Only happy accidents.

Thanks
    he has one soothing voice, and whenever his brush hits the canvas repeatedly, it makes an even more relaxing sound.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    i watched bob alot growing up. he was always very entertaining to me. yes he's a real artist, and im sure in soem way he was one of my inspirations to pursue the arts as a career...he just made it look so easy! anyway, dont listen to the haters, unless of course they have been sucessful enough to have thier own painting show and line of paints and brushes...i mean art is all subjective, but your teacher just sounds to me like another failed artist dumping his/her bitter opinions on his/her stufents....but it seems most art teachers fit that mold unfortunately...but BOB ROSS RULED!!!!-c36

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind
    That was the one thing he said that completely drove me up the wall.

Thanks
    The thing he said that I always hated was this "happy little <insert object here>" Cabins, trees, bushes, gah! I watched off and on just hoping he'd thrown an animal in one of those landscapes just *once* ... don't think he ever did.

If you want to go defining "artist," I guess I'd put him in the category. It's a pretty useless past time anyway, since any nutcase and their elephant could be considered an artist if they picked up a paintbrush.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blind
    I mentioned that during a lecture and a couple minutes later a student said, "Sir, can you help me with my tons of happy accidents".

Thanks
    I don't think he ever painted animals, but I remember him once asking the audience to IMAGINE a cute little bunny that might live in the scene he was painting.
    I have a friend who dressed up as Bob Ross for Halloween one year--very funny.

emily

Thanks
    Bob Ross was a guy who truly enjoyed making art, and you could see his love for it every show. He may not have been commenting on the world in a new or innovative way, but how many viewers did he get to yell at the TV because they thought he was messing up his painting, then five minutes later you realize he was just putting in a river or something. Hell thats practically performance art. Regardless, Bob owned.

Plus he filmed his show at good ol' Ball State University, my current school--for better or worse.
    "Full price for gum? That dog won't hunt Monsignor!"

Thanks
    In San Diego we should pour one on the curb for Bob! I didn't watch much BR, but he taught millions of people technique after technique, and gave a whole new generation of artists encouragement and skills. Beat that, fuckers! :chug: As far as the "what's art?" conundrum, I'll bring up the viewpoint that craft is something you can teach, and art is something that you can't. :batman:

Thanks
    Bob Ross was awesome. He's one of the reasons I wasn't to learn to oil paint. Just because he made aliving doing simple landscapes doesn't mean tht is all he ever did.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Upstart
    Bob Ross was a guy who truly enjoyed making art, and you could see his love for it every show. He may not have been commenting on the world in a new or innovative way, but how many viewers did he get to yell at the TV because they thought he was messing up his painting, then five minutes later you realize he was just putting in a river or something. Hell thats practically performance art. Regardless, Bob owned.

Plus he filmed his show at good ol' Ball State University, my current school--for better or worse.

word.

Art is about expessing yourself, and having passion for doing it. That is jsut the way BR expressed himself.

Thanks
    He painted wildlife and portraits too...

Thanks
    It's not only the technique...it's more than that...teach a guy this technique, he will never be successfull..it's about observing and knowledge about the nature...

Bob Ross knew absolutely anything about the structure of trees, the shape of rocks, how snow looks on mountains (sounds trivial but who knows this really?) etc...so he combined the technique with his knowledge to optimize his process in creating this kind of artwork...

I watched a show of him a few days ago...they showed Bob and his son playing with a little squirrel (this nice little creatures you know )...i was scared by his son, he looked like a member of the Manson-Gang who was going to jump on this squirrel and doing nasty things...

:afro1: :afro2:

Thanks
    my brother and I were able to paint pretty damn nice looking "happy trees" on the face of a majestic mountian pass when we were 5 and 6 years old..

all thanks to Bob..

if that aint some bad ass shit,, ill eat a sack full of smashed up assholes.

-Lono

Thanks
    Wow, I'm glad to see so much support for the topic. Unfortunately, I've never seen Bob Ross myself. I'll have to dig up an old tape somewhere... Anyone know where I could find one? Then I think I'll be able to formulate an opinion.
    http://4hcomic.com
    A webcomic of Apocalyptic proportions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dementist
    Wow, I'm glad to see so much support for the topic. Unfortunately, I've never seen Bob Ross myself. I'll have to dig up an old tape somewhere... Anyone know where I could find one? Then I think I'll be able to formulate an opinion.
    Try
    here.

Boo!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lono
    if that aint some bad ass shit,, ill eat a sack full of smashed up assholes.

-Lono
    roflmao..thank god I wasn't drinking anything when I read that...I literally laughed out loud.
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann