Local college student artists

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Local college student artists

I'm not 100% sure if this is the right forum for this, so if its not i apologize and hopefully it can be moved to the correct spot.

Anyway, I'm a writer with a terrible addiction. I love seeing my characters and scenes drawn. So when someone suggested that i post flyers for local students to do the drawing, it seemed like a nice idea. They get a picture to add to their portfolio and i get my character drawn.

The thing that makes this hard is, i have no idea how much to offer on the flyer. I don't even know a general ball park number. Every one i have talked to (local artists at a small gallery we have here) said students would be a good idea since they would do it for cheap. But what is cheap?

As an example of what I'm hoping to get. I want digital grayscale illustrations of characters or scenes (fantasy and sci-fi) with a realistic style. The best quality for the cheapest price. So i can have lots done lol.

Example of what i have gotten in the past. Does any one have any idea on a price to offer for artwork of this quality (i don't know if i would get this quality but hopefully around here)

Local college student artists Local college student artists

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Generally speaking? More than you're expecting.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Falchion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    While it's true that students often are cheaper, don't get the idea that they'll slave over a picture for many hours for a mere 50 bucks or something.
    Idk if you really want cheap browse Deviantart for a while. There are -so- many amateur artists out there "price fighting", and some of the artwork is fairly high quality as well. I'd say that their low prices are often out of ignorance because they don't understand the worth of art and the specializing they do, however, they might just enjoy doing it as well.
    I'm also part of certain other art communities and sometimes I see people there with galleries full of commissioned work (so non-artists who upload everything -they- commissioned), sometimes hundreds of pieces. They never seemed particularly rich to me.

I personally don't agree with going cheap on art, but hey, if people are offering, you should go for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah just hunt up on the internet for people doing commissions. Like Amphsix said places like Deviantart have lots of people doing commissions. Also Tumblr and other blog sites work. From what I've seen most artists will name their own prices.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips. Part of the reason i feel that student artwork would be cheaper is because they are getting experience out of it. But i did manage to find someone so i think it will work out. He can experiment and use what i order to improve himself and i get what i need. Even if the quality isn't triple A professional grade, but i don't mind that. Plus it can go in his portfolio for later down the road.

And on top of all that, I'm such an addict that he will have that much extra money every time i get paid. Wish i had the talent to offer someone a deal like that. I thought about trying to set up something like that with my writing but i honestly don't think I'm good enough to charge people.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I think your reasoning is flawed. You should pay less money if the work is lower quality, not because they're students and they're "getting experience" or because they can "put it into their portfolio". If they wanted a portfolio piece they could just do their own work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to skMOP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheap, honestly, is probably at least 3 figures for the quality of those illustrations (I'd say $200 on the low end). It sounds like a lot but that's only because of students who don't know what to charge (and deviantart in general).

Also the portfolio excuse is bullshit, sorry. But, lucky for you, there really are hordes of amateur and student artists around willing to work for cheap so you should have no problem. Just know that realistically, the industry pays far more generously than you would think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see where you are coming from. But i also see it from my wallet, i cant afford 200 dollar artwork. Students are the best choice for me as what i get is good enough and like i said it helps them in the long run. They work to improve their artwork so they can get those high dollar jobs. And i get art that is still of framing quality should i choose to do so. Without it costing me three figures. I don't see how its not win win for both parties involved.

Anyway thanks again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please don't act like you're some kind of saviour for giving an artist the opportunity to draw. Even student artists get approached by people ALL THE TIME with this exact kind of reasoning. Artists are perfectly capable of drawing on their own time, they don't need someone to pay them dirt cheap to do it. It's not their problem that you don't want to pay a reasonable wage.

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keeptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems that no matter what i say, I'm just going to end up being looked at like a villain so i just wont respond anymore.

Again thanks for the tips, i had no intentions of insulting anyone. I have gotten what i needed an i will move on.

Good luck on every ones projects.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a student... and I'll do a 'cheap' commission for you. haha

pm me if you're interested

Members who have read this thread: 1