Sketchbook: Redidge's Bridge to Greatness

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Redidge's Bridge to Greatness

Hi CA, my name's Becca, I'm 16, this is my sketchbook (not sorry for the dumb title), I hope to keep it updated regularly. I've been drawing since I was young(er?) but since I was about 14 I've had this vague 'knowing' it's what I'd like to make a career out of I guess.
    I think I'd like to be an animator or something of the like, making characters and telling stories is what I enjoy doing most with art. I have no idea how I'm going to get there, I'll just wing my way through education then see how things go.
    Thank you for visiting, help me out with some advice or a crit!

Attached Images Attached Images                                                    
    Last edited by redidge; April 9th, 2013 at 03:21 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more stuff I wanted to attach to my previous post but didn't in case I screwed up the other images. Also this sketchbook isn't going to be NSFW so I'm not sure why I did that

These are just sketches from around college and home. Also some digital stuff, I'm very very bad with colours and lighting so I hope to improve in those areas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small update, some of babby's first animations, nothing amazing

Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh hey!! thanks for stopping by and thanks for the awesome advice!! you got lovely works here I like your lose lines and your portraits up there! and those animations makes me wanna try making one too xD hmmm~ and advice to see colour? that's a really hard question, I'll try my best to explain what goes in my head, I actually learned about of seeing colour in my physics class back then when my teacher said that there is colour bouncing everywhere at different wavelengths, but anyways when I see colour I'm constantly thinking of values and lighting,Redidge's Bridge to Greatness

so something like this. then afterwards I start to think about temperature and it's background, like on the far right side of the sphere the lighting is not just a bright gray, it has cool blue/gray I'm guess the blue comes background (or a natural light where the sky is blue) letting some of the colour bounces on to it, however on the right side of the circle, you have reflected lights in the shadow that has a warm feel to it due to the light source it's receving
    Name:  temper.png
Views: 356
Size:  108.2 KB

, I'm not really sure if this helps T__T I find that looking at the temperature and it's surrounding helps me when I see sorts of colours
    http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.ca/201...in-shadow.html
    James gurney, is like my hero and I'm sure he does a better job explaining it
    his blog also has useful post

SKETCHBOOK
    critiques + feedbacks
    please?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to PoringMaster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Picking up the pace

Awesome, thanks so much! What you say about looking at it in terms of warm and cool helps a lot, and temperature, I never looked at it that way before, something's definitely clicked into place I think. I am going to have to apply this knowledge to some studies soon, cheers for this post!!

dumb TV stills & gestures from today and last night, I am going to push myself do some more things with colour and photoshop soon though! Great stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuff. i would advice you to keep doing traditional studies. Also take more time on a study than you usually do. Your studies look very careless and quick. Take for example an hour for a single figure study. Don't rush into dificult angles and figures in motion. To do that you have to be able to draw a precise human figure from front view and maybe a side view. Open an anatomy book and look at the muscle groups that you're drawing so that you're not just copying the image but analysing and studying it. Gestures are something that you should do after you're able to do a normal figure drawing.
    If you're in art college you'll most likely start learning geometric figures- cubes, rectangles, spheres, pyramides etc... They will help you gain basic knowledge of how obejcts behave in 3d space. The human figure is something way more complex than a cube so that's why in every art school you start with these basic stuff.
    And once again take more time on a study. I am sure that these quick scribbles do not reflect your complete drawing skills. Push yourself to the limit.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ivan4oto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great quick traditional sketches, very nice

11. The Following User Says Thank You to xiw For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

More studies

ivan- Thanks for this, I never finish/take time with anything because after a while I get irritated but I will try to push myself to complete things, cheers
    oto- Hey, thank you

I've been focusing on colour lately because I usually avoid it, it's proving to be really challenging. So, some egg studies and then a self portrait I did afterwards. Any advice on how to progress with this would be ace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far. just keep those studies up and your forms will start coming out better and better. You are off to a great start mate!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to chevy28360 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got such a nice fluidity to your lines!
    The thing you need most now are some form and mass studies. Take a reference and carefully study it's volumes from the inside out, start seeing things in three dimentions.
    Don't worry too much about digital painting for now, it will come extremely easy once you get your fundamentals straight.
    Curious to see how you evolve.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sleep.less For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great start! You have a nice fluid movement to your pieces, but I agree that it would be good to do some longer pieces to0, and really develop them. Also, maybe do some more basic still life pieces to practice some of that. With color, it might help to so some greyscale pieces first to really get a sense of the values. Then the transition to color should be easier...at least that is what I have gleaned from others. I am just a beginner.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to amaranthxx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    chevy28360- thanks for the advice!
    Sleep.less- Thank you! I definitely need to revise my fundamentals, I'm working on forms
    amaranthxx- what you say about values is makes a lot of sense, cheers!

Somewhat of a delayed update, but I've been taking into account the advice I've been given! here's some of what I have to show for it, Ive been trying to filter out some of my more rushed sketches, to make the sketchbook a bit tidier. Colour and I are on a break until I've familiarized myself with value a little more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those figures you just posted are really great! Although I think it would be cool to see more polished/finished work from you, great job so far.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Mewball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks mewball!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

crap

I've slowed right down the past few days, but gonna keep trying to update this even if it's just with stupid doodles like this (ok I just liked the old guy)

Last edited by redidge; April 15th, 2013 at 04:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bigger update at the weekend perhaps, for now a couple of sketches I did whilst in creeper mode today. I liked these ones. good way to pass time, though I struggle with ears in particular D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    teeny sketch update, more soon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something about those pen sketches,very confident, very nice.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Sundry Addams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree w/ others ... teally really cool character in your lines. And I can definitely see the inspiration from animators in some of the later pencil gestures you posted. You're going to have a beautiful style if you keep evolving it. Keep it up!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sundry Addams - sometimes I worry my lines are incoherent because they're normally rushed as people move about, or I'm scared they're gonna walk past and see me creeping on them, so thanks very much for that
    diamandis - I would really like to end up as an animator, I'm glad I can capture that with my lines (still need A LOT of improvement..) thanks very much! I WILL get that beautiful style

I don't have nearly as much time to spend on practicing as I did during easter, which is crappy but I'm still drawing a bit. A figure study from yesterday (I much prefer leaving things simple but we have to do all this crazy experimental stuff with mixed mediums on top of our sketches weh) and some stuff from imagination, bottom is a work in progress

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 890 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You have talent! Keep up the great work and I wish I could draw that well at 16 your going to be amazing if you are not already.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to mike butkus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks mike butkus!

Been keeping busy while the site was down! I've been trying to branch out, so I've added some links to my signature to where else you can find me updating (sort of?). For now though, my sketchbook here is the best place to be involved with an art community I think.

Last edited by redidge; May 20th, 2013 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again, really nice character to your stuff, and it'll be cool to see you develop.

Quote Originally Posted by redidge View Post
    I got "burnt out" a few times since my last update. I go through periods of being intensely inspired and determined to get someplace then I lose it again which feels bad, but the spark comes back sooner or later. Maybe I just have problems (probably), but I think many people who have dreams experience this
    Here's some assorted motivational rah-rah-rah, not all of which might apply to you, but see if anything helps anyway:

- I've noticed I'm definitely up and down too, motivation-wise. I think lots of us are. It helps immensely (er, helps me at least) to know you're not alone, and you're not abnormal. The stereotype of creative people is that they're moody and flighty. There's something to that. Learn to roll with the ups/downs. Plus, if you make a living w/ this down the road, your motivation becomes holding on to that income, and that motivation pretty much never goes away. Or so I've heard from the working pros.
    - Being frustrated isn't necessarily a sign that you don't like doing this. There's genuinely hating something, and there's being down on your skills and frustrated that you can't execute, and wishing you were better. That second situation is why most people are here, and it's a weird dual motivator/demotivator. But it ultimately helps push you forward.
    - Bad drawing days. You'll have 'em. They suck. Some days you'll be amazing, others it'll be like the last couple weeks/months of practice never happened, and you'll be terrified that there's something wrong with your brain. There isn't (most likely). Again, happens to everyone.
    - This whole pursuit is supposed to be hard, in so many ways (in addition to the above, there's envy, lack of time, and um ... I'm having trouble coming up with more atm, but they're there). It's a long series of psychological stress tests. But others have gotten through, and so can you.

Just random stuff I've realized myself over the past couple months, or heard others say. Anyway, keep going!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are points definitely worth coming back to when feeling low - it's comforting to remember everybody has ups and downs, struggles etc. Also of course that you don't have to be at all alone as an artist in these times haha. Thank you very much for sharing!

Just a colour study I did last night, about 4-5 hours. Not quite finished though, I should really make time to do more of these, it was fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Small sketches from today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're improving very fast! And you're getting some great line quality. Keep up the good work

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Vezarez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! :-D

Haven't posted in a while! Bit of an untidy looking post

Last edited by redidge; July 4th, 2013 at 12:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time no update! Well since the down time I've been doing quite a bit, I'm quite good at self-direction, but I've missed the sense of community and the feedback keeping this sketchbook has allowed me

Here's some stuff, nothing further back from this month, went back to trying to get better at rendering forms and values after the fail of a colour study

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.