Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
Character of the Week #322
Leader of the Pack
Deadline - Sunday, March 31 10PM GMT
In the animal kingdom, there are packs/herds that travel together for optimal survival. Survival of the fittest is the natural instinct and no one will go back to save a single member. Each pack has a powerful and wise leader, but there is one group of animals that follows a pack leader, not of their species. A humanoid, that is wise, clever, and posses the strength of the animals, he is the fearless pack leader. Design the pack leader of a group of animals. The animal you choose is not limited to ground mammals. You can do birds or reptiles. Insects do not count.
A detail you must include on your character is a part of the animal, that the character represents, to be worn as a symbol of being soul bound to the pack.(ex: a skull, feathers, teeth, claws, etc. must be present on the character)
- Can be Male or Female.
- Must be Humanoid.
- Incorporate an animal part to be worn as a symbol.
- Do not combine half animal, half humanoid. You may, however, use physical features of the animal on the character (so if you want to give them frog hands, go for it. Tails, no problem. Hooves are borderline, as long as they are biped, it will be acceptable.)
- The character can be no larger than an average human, but can go much smaller. (ex: they could be the size of a fairy)
FOCUS CHALLENGE (NOT REQUIRED TO ENTER THE POLL): ANATOMY & PERSPECTIVE
- Choose either the legs or arms and exaggerate them to fit the animal which is portrayed
- Create your character from a high angle point of view. Your horizon line will be higher.
- Finals must be posted in the finals thread before the deadline
- Final post must include the CHoW number and the artists username at the bottom of the image
- At least 3/4 of the character must be visible
- Sketches or rushed artwork will not be accepted into the poll
- At least two wips posted with your final in the finals thread
- Background is optional
- Have fun!
- No photograph paint overs...ever... never ever ever never...for ChoW. Must be 100% original work.
- FOLLOW the brief, and DOUBLE check to make sure everything has the proper footer (name, chow#). Don't forget that 10pm GMT is the deadline! You all have been here long enough for me to truly enforce the rules.
Thanks guys, and good luck this week!
Last edited by Quinn Simoes; April 18th, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
here's my entry!
This was a fun topic.
Haven't been able to attach any files for the last two days some I'm posting now while the server still lets me
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the
mysterious. It is the source of all true art and all
science. He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who
can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe,
is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
For those of you that have submitted, there is still time to double check and make sure your stuff includes everything required in the brief!
Ah, it feels good to finally complete one on time!
Some really great entries this time around. IDP's and Varguy's look like brother and sister. Awesome, guys
This was a great topic, thanks!
Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will.
In a bad mood? Take it out on my sketchbook! All constructive critique welcome!
Website Tumblr Deviant Facebook
Thanks for another great round!
As far as I know sabertooths were pack hunters. So I choose this prehistoric approach.
@Magellan: I cant say because I don't know either. Just assume that you have at least until 10pm GMT. I don't know how long I will be away today, I will issue a 30 minute warning before entry acceptance closes.
Switched up the angle, wasn't liking the over-the-shoulder. Great round guys!
I present to you the polar bear man.
I wasn't as busy as I thought I would be so I am here on time, but I will still leave another hour, 11pm GMT, to get things submitted.
So far....Sillirien, Bunnypanda, Davie (possibly), Kafka Dreams, Dayle, appylon, Joey-b, ardentsideburns, and Niam. None of you, of which I can see, included the animal part (which animal the character represents) that the character is supposed to wear. Being part of the body doesn't count. This doesn't mean you wont make it into the poll, but as I have said before, everybody gets ONE pass. I look closely at all these images to make sure that the brief has been followed. It's not fair to those who have completely followed the brief, for me to let those who have not, into the poll. I DO keep track of names of those who use their free pass. You will get a free pass back if you properly follow the brief and submission rules 10 times in a row. I don't like cutting people for forgetting something, that is what the free pass is for. If the image is fixed BEFORE I announce it to be closed, your free pass will not be used.
"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley
"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee