Emasculated Hipster S**t

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Emasculated Hipster S**t

Last edited by dotcov; March 29th, 2013 at 05:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Doooh no you don't suck, it happen sometime a few post are left without reply for days. Not everyone can answer everything, they are people stronger in anatomy, others in perspective and composition... ^^

So first question : what do you intend in this picture ?
    You have a good start for the face, but some proportions are off. She also have her right eyes a little bend. Do you have a reference for her face ? I would be interested to see it :-)
    The T-shirt on her isn"t defined enough, it's hard to tell at first glance it's fabric, that looks more like a skin with lots of scars... About the lighting, you chose one that flatten details and volume, side lighting are better than front lighting.
    About the fire arround her, you can definitly go for a brighter color, I just want to make sure : is it physical fire or a kind of aura ? If it's fire, the light should reflect on her, at least as a backlight....
    The shoulders aren't placed naturally, is she doing some kind of gesture that we cannot see ?

Anyway, there is a nice apocalypse feeling growing in your piece, you have a good start, I'm sure with some rework you can achieve something great !

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is very hard to offer critique when we don't know what your plan is with the painting. So when you say nothing about it we can't offer any effective feed back other than the flat out obvious. All we can tell you is that there are things wrong with the face, like proportions,positioning, lighting, etc.

Tell us a little more about it, who is this girl and why is she there? Also, the title of this thread is pretty negative, I would change it to something more suitable.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am trying to make some "pop art" shit that hipsters would love. Not really going for super-realism but if i achieved that that would be good. I am more concern with actual painting technique, style, elements of design. I really don't get when people say stuff is hard to critique because anyone that knows art can tell if the elements and principles of design have been executed properly. All art has elements at least, even the shitty "subjective" shit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcov View Post
    I am trying to make some "pop art" shit that hipsters would love.
    Why don't you show it to a bunch of hipsters and ask them if they love it then?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LaCan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcov View Post
    I am trying to make some "pop art" shit that hipsters would love.
    Okay, now we know the purpose.

I am more concern with actual painting technique, style, elements of design.
    Painting technique: Well it has a very painterly look to it, but for anatomy accuracy, you are off on several areas. The girl needs work all over.
    Elements of design: You use complimentary colors but that fire/electricity stuff going on is extremely distracting. There are no repeating factors, no coherent shapes, no pattern, nothing is drawing the eye to any particular part of this. So I see an expressive painting, but no thought of design in it.

I really don't get when people say stuff is hard to critique because anyone that knows art can tell if the elements and principles of design have been executed properly.
    I'm no pop/hipster artist, but that's what reference is for, so when I look up pop art on Google, I get a lot of recognizable figures and they are dramatically altered with crazy colors, like Andy Warhol. "Hipster" designs are more about simplicity and vector imagery. You went for a more...abstract/expressive approach.

All art has elements at least, even the shitty "subjective" shit.
    Yes, but all art has different degrees of elements.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so you are saying this painting is bad?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol, no no. But what you are asking us to critique on doesnt exactly exist. This is an expressive painting, left for us to take it as it is. You said you wanted a critique on design, but there really isn't a whole lot. It's an image of a bust. It's like your previous image that you posted, the Hail Mary one. And J.R. said the same thing I just did.

You wanted us to comment on the style, well the style is painterly, there is nothing wrong with that, but what is your future goal? Do you wish to pursue realism? Are you exploring design? These are things you need to ask your self.

I have a friend that does, pretty much all expression paintings. I love his work. He does apply design to them.

Notice the use of dots as a pattern AND they make a suggested stripe pattern as well. There is also a nice horizontal bar/thick line in the back which separates everything nicely. Those are elements of design to guide the viewer's eyes.

Emasculated Hipster S**t
    Emasculated Hipster S**t
    Emasculated Hipster S**t

As you can see, hes not exactly pursuing realism. Hes just being expressive, and his technique/style is his own.

Last edited by Havok Reed; March 29th, 2013 at 07:48 PM.
    !!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post
    lol, no no. But what you are asking us to critique on doesnt exactly exist. This is an expressive painting, left for us to take it as it is. You said you wanted a critique on design, but there really isn't a whole lot. It's an image of a bust. It's like your previous image that you posted, the Hail Mary one. And J.R. said the same thing I just did.

You wanted us to comment on the style, well the style is painterly, there is nothing wrong with that, but what is your future goal? Do you wish to pursue realism? Are you exploring design? These are things you need to ask your self.

I have a friend that does, pretty much all expression paintings. I love his work. He does apply design to them.

Notice the use of dots as a pattern AND they make a suggested stripe pattern as well. There is also a nice horizontal bar/thick line in the back which separates everything nicely. Those are elements of design to guide the viewer's eyes.

Emasculated Hipster S**t
    Emasculated Hipster S**t
    Emasculated Hipster S**t

As you can see, hes not exactly pursuing realism. Hes just being expressive, and his technique/style is his own.
    All art can be critiqued. You are not being lazy are you. Also, i am not very fawn of those paintings of your friend's. His paint application and brush strokes are subpar. I would think you could comment on my symmetry, line quality, movement, unity, color...etc. Have you been to art school or university may i ask?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lol wow... okay. These images were to show you an example of what I was getting at, and his medium was not traditional oil or acrylic for all of them. Some are water color, some are spray paint, some are mixed.

No, I am not being lazy. You came in here asking for critique on things that don't exist in your painting. You want an opinion on "symmetry, line quality, movement, unity, color"? Symmetry... You have a face in the middle of the image.... that makes it pretty symmetrical. The face is very uneven all over. Line quality, what lines? Movement, this is quite static, that yellow stuff in the BG doesn't add movement to this. Unity, not really there. Color, too monochromatic.

Yes, I went to art school, but that doesn't mean anything in the art world. There are artists that never been to art school who are gods in the art community. School doesn't qualify you for anything art, it's how much you apply yourself and express your passion for it.

I think you first need to learn some serious lessons in humility. You seem to think that your are very good compared to everyone else, and that only specific people are qualified to comment on your work. Why are you posting in this forum when you "know" everything? That kind of attitude will get you nowhere very fast.

Good luck, you're going to need it...

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Alas, this is where we feel the loss of Elwell most keenly.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you think Elwell would say? I really wish he didn't bail...Can only hope that he will come back eventually.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I'm pretty sure I recognize this style. This is someone Elwell used to ban on sight.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh ok, so I'm pretty much wasting my breath on an over inflated ego with deaf ears then.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Over inflated ego or outright troll, one of the two. He's got about a billion threads on the deviantart forums that all essentially boil down to "realism sucks, let me talk about how awesome my art style is"

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to keeptime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just wanted to know if he's been to art school. When someone says a painting can't be critiqued i wonder ALL paintings can be critiqued. Then I look at his art and...

Thanks
    Thanked 5,564 Times in 3,748 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Chauncey is banned again

23. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chauncey! That was it. I never can remember from one incarnation to the next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't know that this forum had these types of personalities beyond the old timers that have been here for a while.

Sketchbooks:
    Virtual Sprite - New
    Cali to SC, The Joshua Hollis Story - Old

W.I.P. Threads:
    By Crom! - Done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea...this guy is a troll and thinks his work is the best in the world. Not the kind of person deserving of any advice.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.