Art: Learning to learn to draw

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Learning to learn to draw

From browsing this site for just a few days I feel that I have gotten a sense of what critique I would get by posting my works: work on your fundamentals. I also know how much work you'll have to put in, and how you must get drawing to get good. However, because fundamentals follow fairly strickt rules I belive just drawing won't cut it. So, if any of you could recommend some exercises to get me started it would be great.
    For the second part of my post I would like to ask about artbooks. Is it worth buying one and following it. I feel like I know, in theory that is, the basics in rendering, perspective and composition and I wonder how much more theory there is to it. Or is it all about application? Will drawing hundereds of boxes in perspective and whatnot really help with the more complicated stuff. Or is it better to get out of my comfortzone?

As you might pick up, I'm kind of lost so any tips would be greatly appriciated :)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/showthread.php?t=94571 Here have a lot of books. And take a look at every sticky you can find.

About drawing hundreds of cubes, drawing them on automatic will not help, you need to be always thinking about you are doing, pay attention (Is this line right? Is this colour with the right temperature? Don't go just tapping everything on everywhere)

Yoitisi Island have great perspective exercises http://www.conceptart.org/forumdisplay.php?f=146

And is all I can help

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kashmir For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great recommendations and drawing with tought behind every stroke seems like solid advice aswell. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read tons of books on perspective and saw tens of hours of tutorials... to be honest it didn't help my drawing at all. So the learning to learn to draw part is very important I think you need some basic understanding, the theory of drawing isn't so much in reading, but in seeing applications of the same principles over and over and over again. Drawing is basically reproducing geometry - whatever object you're looking at has a shape, that's its geometry, painting is the duplication of the effects of light upon that geometry. For perspective - a day or 2 for the principles should be enough, afterwards its just constant application and then looking up something in a book when you don't know how to do it - for instance ellipses. The hard part is just practising all of this enough so that you drive it in your head and you don't have to think about it, you can then focus on composition, color or whatever else.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to volen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am in a kind of similar situation, the past weeks I've almost only been reading tutorials and not drawing at all because of not knowing what to draw or whatever excuse I can come up with at the moment... Now I'm forcing my self to train line quality just to do something. Hearing that that's not the majority of drawing is nice, gives me something to look forward to ^^ A last question: Is it worth to start a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just pick one thing to start with. I think geometry comes first and is one of the more difficult things to learn well, intrinsically, to develop that sense of how something would look when it's turning away from you or how foreshortened it would appear, I always mess up when trying to estimate rounded forms. So pick a picture and try to replicate it. Find out where your vanishing points would be and just replicate the structure, try to find all the faces and angles you can't see. First try something with a more angular shape, like a simple house, then you can try something curved, like an arch. Then you can try constructing some of your shapes. Then move on to something more complex. Maybe try a car. When you get bored with just doing constructions, then practice some value. While doing that you can still train your sense of geometry by thinking how the light falls on the shape and why it looks the way it does.
    And sure, start a sketchbook. It costs you nothing and you get to see your improvement. It's important to keep your work together so you can find patterns about how you do things and what you need to work on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. Thanks once again :>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's an ideal idea to following art books for learning some art. I also like to tell you that in any kind of art your focus and interest can impact to became good artist. Beginners must start drawing with draw some steel lives things because it's a basic things which helps to improve to make good drawings.

wall scrolls posters

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.