Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,054 Times in 586 Posts
    Jacob Collins.

In general I think you'll find a lot of this kind of thing in modern atelier work, since they're going for complete faithfulness to the model. Outside of that, no idea.

Penises - How Big Should They be?
    Last edited by Sidharth Chaturvedi; March 31st, 2013 at 08:33 PM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I started to make this list of artists (making note to stay away from "primitive art" sculpture as you requested).
    I know you said you would prefer to also stay with western artists, but I think if you are interested in a world
    wide view of the subject you should at least check out these Japanese masters. They are not ancient, and
    are not fertility symbol related. They are considered fine artists (remember Japanese prints and scrolls had
    a huge influence on late 19th and early 20th century art); and yes the penis are enormous!

Nishikawa Sukenobu - Japanese Ukiyo-e Printmaker, 1671-1751
    Shofu Kyosai 1831-89
    Jichosai (18th century)

The Ukiyo-e school and Hokusai school are probably the most famous for erotic works.
    Pieces date between 12th to 18th century generally.

Heading back to Europe

Felicien Rops (1833-98) French Ink and engravings
    George Grosz 1920's Germany
    Hans Belmer Germany
    Aubrey Beardsley British

There are also occasional works from the Surrealists and related schools but because they lean
    more toward the abstract I'm not sure you will want to count them. One that comes to mind is
    Man Ray's Phallus for Priapus sculpture....
    ...after writing this I realized I should also recommend (if you can locate it somewhere).

Erotic Art
    A survey of Fact and Fancy in the Fine Arts
    Grove Press Inc New York 1968

I picked up at a second used bookstore back in the 90s, not sure how rare it is.
    Sketchbook

"Just as the invention of a new musical instrument changes the whole sensibility of an era, the phenomenon of light can, due to current scientific process, among other things, become the tool for the new artist"

-Marcel Duchamp

Thanks
    Just do what you want.

It may sound weird, but its like discussing the sizes of a mountain in a painting, thats 100% to the artist.

Thanks
    If I remember something from my art history, it was because it would've been offensive to the model to emphasize the penis. Or that's what I've been told. But there's something about big *ock, there should be more of it

Thanks
    Well....for western sensitivites, the average penis size is something around 15 to 16 cm. that is about the distance between your thumb and index finger stretched out in opossite directions. That is also just about as much as the distance between your ulna and the tip of the middle finger..making the entire hand. So I guess if you're going for an erect penis, you can base it off of your characters' hand sizes. When flacid, size can change a lot but its not very big. Also, uncircumcised penises tend to be smaller when flacid. Because penises happen to be, thank the lord, not just erect the WHOLE time for no good reason, they'll mostly be half flacid.....so...a little more than half a hand's length?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,578 Times in 4,532 Posts
    Okay I started this thread before I started a series of naked men. Just wondered if you thought I'd got the size just right without overpowering the whole image.

Name:  IMG_0956s.jpg
Views: 589
Size:  84.8 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    I think the lack of contrast in the area takes care of that problem.

Also, maybe men look so glum in paintings because their penises are so tiny... ?
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    This thread is great. Needs more penises though. Keep em cuming, Black Spot

Thanks
    I was thinking about this topic a while back(that sounded weird I know)while I were looking for references of naked men. I noticed that if the picture showed a man with an average sized penis, some kid would always make a comment on how small it was. I also noticed that the men on several photographs seemed to have pumped up their equipment slightly before the picture was taken.(probably to escape the scorn of afore mentioned kids.) Not enough to create an erection only just enough to make it thicker and longer. Before you ask, yes you can tell because it doesn't droop the same way any more.

My conclusion is...nothing really, only that you should probably paint what you think looks resonable. The penis in your painting looks perfectly fine.

I would also like to point out after intensive studies of my husband, that even the size of a flacid penis can vary immensely on the same person depending on inner and outer conditions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost My Marbles View Post
    This thread is great. Needs more penises though. Keep em cuming, Black Spot
    I see... uhm.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Birkeley View Post
    While the thing about representing intellect over physicality makes sense, and I'm sure that is true also, I have always read that small penises were simply considered more attractive in the classical era (Greece/Rome/Michaelangelo and Da Vinci era/etc). Large or even average-sized ones would therefore not be depicted in works created to depict beauty because they were not the ideal. And fine artists tend to follow on from the classic tradition unless they are making a statement about something.
    This is my theory as well. And I would like to add that in ancient Greece romantic relationship between grown men and teen boys (usu. 12-17 years old) used to be common, and idealized by philosophers. The elder man was to educate, protect, love and be a role model, while the boy was characterized by his beauty and youth.

This is pure speculation, but I can imagine when teenage boys are seen as examples of male beauty, that in art even penises of grown men would be depicted more like those of teenage boys. And yes, neoclassical artists from the renaissance would then likely have taken over this custom of drawing small penises.

Thanks
    Most men are growers, not showers - they get significantly larger when aroused. Current lover is 2.5" flaccid, erect, 5" around, 7" long. If this sounds difficult - it is

The Greeks were masters of realism and they depicted penises that way because that is what many men's penises look like flaccid. It has nothing to do with final erection size.

If you find yourself overly distracted by a penis in art, you are a victim of media poisoning.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    study from life

Thanks

Icon My first post on CA.org

I ended up writing too much, had to chop it up and deleted a lot. Forgive me for any errors or mistakes.
    (feel free to edit/reply/correct me/etc)

From what I know and remember. The male nude in ancient Greece was a symbol of ideal masculine traits, and a device for Greek mythology.
    As mentioned earlier by a few people, it was also a way of distinguishing themselves from their enemies.

"The Small Penis Convention"- is NOT a literal reflection of males, manhood or manliness.
    "TSPC" was a way of indicating the absence of sexual arousal or activity in circumstances where it would be inappropriate.
    Such as fighting in war, being around women, present in public, wrestling- I think you get the picture.

Ancient Greeks were for the most part, Homo-social, or put simply- idolized masculinity.
    I'm not going to derail this thread, but I will state that I doubt all modern notions or assumptions regarding homosexuality & pederasty in ancient Greece.
    Due to the fact that people tend to be ignorant, especially to the time & regional differences, and have agendas to push on all sides.

With that aside, male nudity was a norm in ancient Greece under the right settings. Female nudity on the other hand wasn't.
    The male form, nude or not, isn't intended to be homo-erotic, erotic or sexual. (especially in ancient Greek & Classical arts)
    Unless explicitly portrayed as such... Touching of the genitals, intercourse, suggestive nature, exaggeration, etc -would deem it as being an erotic work.

"TSPC" was also a way of reducing erotic or sexual tensions that nakedness provides, by de-emphasizing the size of the penis.
    Naturally it was preserved by tradition, art critics and patrons throughout history. (I imagine that the church was in favor of it, if nudity was ever a need be)

Something that may be overlooked- is take into consideration, the size & drop of the testicles, and the height & proportions of the male.

P.S I'm not an expert on art history, but I hope this helps someone.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MapleTerror For This Useful Post:

Izi

Thanks
    Yes that's it...

And here's an article that explores further into the Greek's gender biases in art

http://www.melissahuang.com/2011/12/...reek-statuary/

I was recently reading about feminism in art, specially some group that misquoted Pythagoras and annoyed me to say the least. In it this group's work they cite female nudes as non-feminist, but this insight into Greek culture would suggest that the female nude, specifically the depiction of the cleft of the vulva was too sexually aggressive for the tastes of the patriarchal greeks. As I have said all along, the naked female body is an aggressive assault on patriarchy. Both myself and my partner are avid feminists, and adore nudes of either sex simply because it is nature's expression, not because we want to order someone's clothes off to oppress them.

Also I was examining same said penis again this morning, and noted once again how active the organ is, it shrinks and grows very quickly with temperature and seems most comfortable tightened up against the body to be seated above the testicles, just like in a Greek statue. This is no small penis by any standard however.

I've used partial erections and full erections to varying degrees in my own art to signify various messages or symbolism so I think that "how big" is a matter of the artist's tastes. It's 2014 and you can do as you like, whether or not anyone says there are rules - there are none.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Funny how this thread title reminds me of an anecdote from atelier art school.
    We had this male model in life drawing class who would always get semi-erechtions. When choosing our easel spots for drawing, I and other (female) students usually made sure we had a good view.
    As you know, life drawing sessions in atelier school tend to focus on one pose for hours and hours. So while the model's pose would stay the same for a long time, his penis would always change. It confused me, because it wasn't really erect, but was not flaccid anymore either, and I kept re-drawing it all the time to reproduce what I saw.
    However, in the end, me and the other (female) students decided to err on the bigger side. Actually we drew him a leeetle too well endowed. And this was the only, and the only one, instance where the usually over-picky teachers did not tell us to fix it. For whatever reason. I think they were a bit embarrassed.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maidith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    hahahahahahah
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    done a bit ago but feel it works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Also, Not the penis size but the eggs behind that make a bigger impact.

Thanks
    We had nude male models in art class. I couldn't figure out why everyone was giggling at my drawing until I realized I was the only one who had drawn in the penis. Did a damn fine job of it, exquisite detail, if I do say so myself.

Can't imagine how everyone else missed it -- the guy was half hard. The rest of the class had smudged charcoal over the area, which looked strange because then it was practically a female pubic area.

I say make it any size you want.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to KatyKonceptKat For This Useful Post:

Izi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2