Dragon's doom, illustration, in need of help!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dragon's doom, illustration, in need of help!

Hello guys,

I am in process of creating illustration. This is a project for my Uni class. Won't go into too much detail. The problem is, I kind of struggle on where to go now. I am planing on adding various things to cover up the snow surface such as trees, dirt, rocks etc. I am not so sure about the left wing (left hand side of the picture). Im not sure if it looks good against the other wing and if they work well together.
    Any sort of help is very welcome. As I mentioned, it's one of those pieces when you're stuck and dont know where to go further. Also if you have any interesting reference pictures that could be handy please provide me with these.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This looked good in the thumbnail. Up close, it just looks unfinished.

Serious question: are you interested in the trees, dirt and rocks you're going to add. Are they part of an overall composition you have in mind? Or are you adding them because you kind of think you ought to?

Because I think I'd put all my energy into really, really finishing the parts you find interesting. Not necessarily the whole figure. The head. Maybe some cool tear holes in the wings. Orrrrrr...how about a low, raking light source that casts a long interesting shadow?

Figure out what you love about your idea, and put your whole heart into that. Let the rest go.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the suggestions. Sorry that I didn't mention that this isn't a finished piece and the lack of details is there for purpose.
    I think you're right about the trees and other things. Thanks a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would actually find it more interesting to let the landscape (in this particular area) with no trees or rocks and stuff because you know, the dragon is red and he's seriously wounded (or dead) so I think it brings to you the idea of blood, and the constrast between white and red would be preety cool.

It's very important to work in the volume of the dragon and the color pallete, so make some studies of how dragon skin is rendered in this kind of light/environment.

Maybe I'm too bloody, but I think that the charachter there could have a bit of red too from the dragon's blood? It's just a suggestion that maybe would balance the image.

As for reference pictures there are a thousands of them in the internet, just google it, it's easy. I would also recommend National Geographic documentaries of polar bears and snow animals so that you can get into the environment vibe yeah, I guess you can catch it on youtube. Good luck, take care!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Darsy. These suggestions are really nice. Also I like the idea of National Geographic documentaries.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks again for all the suggestions. These really helped me push this artwork to the finish. It wouldn't happen without you crazy artists!
    Thank you!!!

Name:  so_calm_by_pizdurrart-d5zn4xs.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  217.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,328 Times in 1,086 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Details and overall work came out good, but I don't think the composition is at it's best.
    The wings are cropped from the image, they're making me look outside the frame, and also
    the ooh so up cloce look of the dragon, with nothing but a 'S' curve to guide me is
    not enough. Other than that, I feel trapped when looking between your dragon's wings.
    The square it is forming with the tail towards the back, and ligaments(?) towards the front
    leads to nowhere.

So in terms of composition, and even lighting, I would consider this peace to need some more work.

But in terms of details, this is a good peace.

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.