Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Complex lighting issues. @_@

Name:  kikyou.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  301.9 KB
    Okay guys, so I am at my limits of actual knowledge here, and the rest of this will be experimentation on the lighting. Sooo, I thought I'd ask for advice on how to approach this at this point. I have established a base sort of lighting, and intend to do highlights and darks based on soul orbs that are around her. Ideally one or two would be in the hands of the soul-carriers. The soul carriers and souls are supposed to glow slightly. I have not accounted for this yet.

The background is not nearly finished, so no worries on that front. But for some reason the colors don't look right. Should it be more monotone?

So how to approach 3-5 diffuse light sources at various places around her? (Ideally one or two at least in the hands of the creatures, taking them to her.

And I know everyone is going to say "Use more references." Which normally I do, but I couldn't find enough of the right ones for this picture. =__= I apologize. I have used many references for this, but direct copying various pieces was impossible this time.

Anything else you deem relevant, also. Thanks so much for your time, guys.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shoot the reference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mm, going to do that soon, but I am going to aim for the $700 camera setup. Will be a few months.

Aside from that, what do you do about not having a miko outfit, and magical snake soul eaters? o_O

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why do you need $700 camera for this? Use what you have now. You can shoot perfectly usable reference with a crappy phone camera.

You're supposed to be the creative one. Think of something resembling the things in your picture that you have easy access to. For example:

outfit = blanket
    magical snakes = rubber hose

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agree with Lacan : shoot references will help you the most . You can setup the light the way you want, at the place you need. No need to have a lot of material, a phone, a bedside lamp, voilą ! Plus I'm sure family and friends will always be happy to help you, it's a fun moment :p

Either way, I founded some of these pictures looking for the movie "geisha memoirs" but I have no idea if that's what you are looking for as light ambient. Again better go for your own !
    http://www.japanprobe.com/wp-content...ha-wannabe.jpg
    http://images2.fanpop.com/images/pho...-1465-1063.jpg
    http://images.ados.fr/1/medias/photo...32/img-img.jpg
    http://bitsnbytesoflife.files.wordpr...a_stamp081.jpg

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, I like what you did here. Especially the girl and the unfinished background.
    From my very short experience, I see one big mistake to correct before thinking about adding more lighting sources. Problem I see is that you have a clearly tinted blue background that should reflect on the girl coloring. So IMO her skin and her white kimono should be blueish. So basically, for your color palette I'd use a monochromatic palette for the character and background with a complementary color touch for the color light of the souls.
    I've made a painting recently with more or less the same problematics so I believe it could interest you. Here is the link: http://yinetyang.deviantart.com/art/...F12536525&qo=5

7. The Following User Says Thank You to StefRob For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by StefRob View Post
    First of all, I like what you did here. Especially the girl and the unfinished background.
    From my very short experience, I see one big mistake to correct before thinking about adding more lighting sources. Problem I see is that you have a clearly tinted blue background that should reflect on the girl coloring. So IMO her skin and her white kimono should be blueish. So basically, for your color palette I'd use a monochromatic palette for the character and background with a complementary color touch for the color light of the souls.
    I've made a painting recently with more or less the same problematics so I believe it could interest you. Here is the link: http://yinetyang.deviantart.com/art/...F12536525&qo=5
    Mm, I think you're right. It does need to be more monochrome. It makes a lot more sense that way. Thank you.

@Griffonnage-- thanks for the references. I am using lots of non-exact references like that. ^_^

Members who have read this thread: 1