Female Figure Critique

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Female Figure Critique

All right, I'm very close to finishing this (depending on the kinds of critiques I get)...I still have some things I want to work on, but for now, I would like your opinions. This originally started as just a figure drawing, but I decided to take it a little bit further by adding clothes, accessories and the background.

So, critique away! Thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My Sketchbook: Criticisms and Feedback needed

"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, The Way of Lao-tzu
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are small mistakes with anatomy and perspective, for instance, her crotch is shifted to the left from center, her right shin is way too long, her left hip has somewhat incorrect muscle definition, the navel is way too high the fingers seem to have only one joint, and the "flat" thumbs are not foreshortened correctly.

But the biggest issue is with the lighting. It's very monochromatic and plasticky, and in places there is overuse of airbrush - for example, the stomach. Thinking in terms of planes, rather than tubes, should have been better.

I also advise to get reference for sheer fabric. The dress looks like a layer of wax, not like cloth - calculate the folds more carefully, and make sure that you reproduce the greater opaqueness of double or triple layers of fabric in the folds.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off, glad to see you're still around, arenhaus and you haven't left due to the recent debacle regarding Manley.

Second, thanks for the critique, I always trust your opinions.

Some things I'm not too clear on by what you mean, such as the shin being too long and the muscles in the left hip being off.

I'll find some better references as well as try to fix the lighting problem. Although I'm not 100% certain on how to make the skin less monochromatic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The knee in front looks too high and that is why the shin looks too long. The inside edges of the breasts could be a bit softer so they look more like they belong on her body in a natural way. Overall, nice work!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aqualeot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Aquelot. I did an 8 head measure, which I should have done earlier but kept forgetting and the shin is actually quite long. I'm kicking myself for that now.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,480 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bear in mind that 8 heads are for a figure standing straight and seen face on. (: Once you have posing and perspective, foreshortening kicks in and has to be accounted for.

As for the muscle definition in the hip - well, I just see it. The muscles create different forms in different positions/movements and under different loads; in this position, the hip would look different. For one, you'd see more definition of muscle tension, and tensor fasciae latae and the hip bone would be more prominent.

Coming to think of it, the left hip is also off. There would be more fold, and the rectus and sartorius would be more prominent.

It seems to me you've drawn the hips in the standing-still position, but put the legs in the walking position, so I get a cognitive dissonance looking at the result. (:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.