War of the Gods...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: War of the Gods...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

War of the Gods...

My name is Kyle - and this be my first post here at conceptart.org. I have browsed for a bit before taking the dive. I must say - most of the work here is very intimidating. Luckily that's what I thrive to see. I harness that fear and convert it to motivation. I have a feeling I'm going to continue to find an endless supply of motivation here - so thank you.

"War of the Gods"

PS - 4hr

War of the Gods...

References used: Lightning / Lava

Crits appreciated.

Gracias, Kyle.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops. I misunderstood what "finished pieces" meant, or something...

Sorry for the confusion..

Any crits anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...this is all digital, you say? I get a very distinct feeling of paint on canvas here. There's a canvas texture throughout the whole thing, and the cliff walls look very much like traditional paint. If it's truly all digital, I applaud the effect.

The figure, while in a very dynamic pose, and generally anatomically correct, is very unbalanced. I especially get the feeling that his far leg should be a little more extended to his rear to brace him against the monstrous forces he's obviously holding back. Right now it looks like he's about to be tipped right over by them. There's also a bit of evidence that his upraised arm is curved rather odd.

The lines of the composition are somewhat interesting, but overall, I think it's a bit unbalanced. All of your action is occuring in the lower left corner leaving several large and very uninteresting areas. Also, you've cut the figures feet off, which I really don't suggest doing. I'd like to see a more uniform sky...in particular, that pink just doesn't fly with the rest of the picture. It's very out of place, imho.

I do like the interesting effect you've achieved where the lightning meets the shield, and the lava is interesting in an abstract way. The clouds are also well rendered, apart from the color choices.

I'm curious how you got the paintlike feel to parts of this painting. If I'm not mistaken, it looks like a scanned in traditional painting that was worked up in photoshop?

"Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gracias for the crit.. this be what I'm looking for.

I do see what you're referring to w/ the center of balance and the force upon him. That I can pay more attention to in the future.

As for the feet, I was just trying to make it look like he was standing in the lava - I suppose I could've had his feet interact more w/ splashing and whatnot.

With the sky, I was going for the sunset effect in the distance, but you are right - it's out of place.

I appreciate the crits, and will def use them for future endeavors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best part of this piece to me are the dark shadows on the lava god. They really pop the figure. I wish there were a few more of these shadows on the upper half of the body to help define it more. The blue god needs some darks like this too to help define him
    My least favorite part is where the two "powers" are crashing together. The red particularly looks fake to me, possibly because it only has the very stark red and yellow. Maybe adding a few more red/yellow variations and/or making it look more like liquid?

emily

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What's with the pure color scheme? All you're missing is a bright green and you'd have rgb/cmy, all at full intensity (not a good thing). It almost works with the red/yellow fire god vs. the blue/cyan sky god, but those magenta clouds throw everything out of whack.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.