TabletPC Pen - opinions

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

TabletPC Pen - opinions

Hello everyone, since I bought my own tabletPC I'm searching for a better pen than the Samsung one that come with it. They are a lot of others brands and many of the pens are compatible between them. I was hoping to get some informations from people who tried some in the last years/month.

I think that can help other people getting a convertible or a tablet to find something that suit them too. So my question is :

- what is, in your opinion, the best pen(s) for drawing at ease on a tablet pc ?
    - What are the spec (side button, eraser, grip, other nibs ?)
    - what do you think about it accuracy and efficiency ?

Thanks a lot to share your opinion

---

Here is the two that actualy interest me the most, I would like to have your opinion :

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Electr...ef=pd_sim_pc_1
    Samsung Electronics Slate PC Digitizer Pe : looks like it have an eraser, have a better feel in hand, two side boutons. My concern : is it better than the one gived with the ativ serie ?

http://enliighten.com/blog/axiotron-...or-tablet-pcs/
    Axiotron studio pen : it was very nice but seems to be super hard to find these days... anything closer to this ? It existe in a version without grip, but that feel more like a commun tablet pc pen.

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Apparently the Fujitsu LifeBook digitizer is pretty good and works with the x230T along with the Intuos 1 digitizer.

Now I don't know if these are comparable to the one for the ATIV, however I know that these have two buttons and are compatible with the x230T.
    I may or may not get one for my x230T when it gets here.

.... Now the question is, are they compatible with the ATIV?

The Axiotron studio pen is great from what I hear! However finding it is a bit of a challenge. I did manage to find this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Axiotron-Mod...item3a7f8f2e54 which is apparently a revised version.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to -Tragedy- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pen you have that works on your Lifebook and x230t will indeed be compatible with the ATIV; they all use the exact same digitizer .

In regards to the Axiotron Studio Pen.....I have it and I love it dearly. Been using it for 2 years now....by far it is still the best Tablet PC Pen on the market.....that is if it were still on the market. Mine still works fine...but cosmetically the wear and tear has certainly taken its toll..kind of glad I purchased a spare last year.

However...now that the Modbook Pro is kind of out....I was hoping that the pen would resurface. Although Axiotron is gone...they kind of still exist in http://www.modbookshop.com but sadly still no sight of the studio pen.

To aid in your search however......the Axiotron Studio Pen is in truth just a recolored grip pen for the older Cintiqs, the 15 & 18 inch ones.

Its pricy but heres an auction for one such pen. This one is full grey...but I'll also seen pics of a red & Blue colored one as well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacom-Grip-P...item3f09eb631c

Basically the Older Cintiqs as well as Wacoms DTU line of displays all use the exact same "UD Digitzer".....which is the same digitizer found in Tablet PCs....so all the UD pens are cross compatible essentially. If you factor in those UD devices....you may be able to find a more suitable pen.

Also, have you seen the "Feel it" Pens Wacom now offers. They work on any UD device...and are pretty swanky looking. They have a dual switch...but they do have a huge flaw in my opinion....Wacom decided to not include an eraser on them. I though that was dumb decision on their part...but hopefully they'll release a Feel it Pen with an eraser eventually.

....also...another little ray of hope.....On Wacoms website...they are readying a new DTU Display Tablet, the DTH-2242

http://www.wacom.com/business-and-ed.../dtus/dth-2242

As I mentioned earlier...all the DTU Display Tablet pens will work on Tablet PCs since they all use the same digitizer.

However....The DTH-2242 is the first of the DTU Tablet Line to hit 1024 levels of pressure. The same UD digitzer all the other DTU Tablets had maxed at 512 levels of pressure.

So there is a chance that the DTH may very well use a different digitizer....and if its set for a different frequency....the pen compatibility may no longer apply.

Which is especially Tragic because of the pen it has. From the pictures Wacom's put up.....Its using a Intuos 4/5 Pen.......not the same frequency I would imagine...but the pen design and form is the same.

The DTH-2242 won't be out until April....but if that Pen is still indeed compatible with the other Tablets/Displays with a UD digitizer.....consider the Axiotron Studio pen to be De-throned.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also in regards to the Pens...I've had many Tablet PCs over the years...and quite a few pens from Motion Computing, Gateway, HP, Lenovo, Asus, etc

Most of the pens at least have 1-button and an Eraser...although there are some exceptions, like the button-less pen that comes with the Asus ep121...and the eraser-less pens on the Wacom Feel it line.

But one area of interest....that's minor but still kind of important; all the pens although they can use the same nibs and same function....are all still manufactured differently.

What I mean is that with some pens.....the pen tip/nib can recess in the pen more or less then other pens. Most wacom pens nibs recess alittle bit into the pen when used...but since the pens are all manufactured differently....the smallest change in the manufacturing does have an effect on the pen in an analog sense.

The included Pen on my old Gateway C-120x for example....didn't recess nearly at all. However when I got my Lenovo x61 Tablet....with the included pen...the tip recessed significantly more. To this day....I have yet to see any pen that would recess nearly as much as my x61 pen.

This may seem weird and pointless at first....there is a tremendous benefit to such a pen.

With Intuos 4 & up....Wacom devised a new tip sensor that would require alot less activation force to register a brush stroke. When you compare the pressure on an Intuos/Cintiq to a Tablet PC..its not so much the increase in pressure you're feeling...but rather the new tip sensor you're feeling since it allows you greater control over the pressure.

What I found with my x61 pen.....since the pen nib recess's so much...the smallest amount of contact pressure would start to recess the nib...essentially requiring less activation force to register a stroke since the initial contact starts it. Although I wouldn't put it into the same exact gram level of pressure the Intuos 4 pen can claim.....but the greater recess of the nib kind of simulates the effect of that intuos tip sensor, but on a Tablet PC.

Not sure if my x61 pen was just a manufacturing fluke or not...but given how many Tablet PC pens they're are out there...I doubt its the only pen that could recess that much. As you search for a proper pen...that's just something to consider.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for your income, you two ! Yeah I understand what you point Darkmagistric and I agree with it.

I will wait the end of april and see what's coming or not. Thanks a lot !

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Members who have read this thread: 1