Its Offical , Wacom Cintiq 13HD - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    I don't understand how anyone can think differently
    Did you even see the tablet? Because Giorgiobaroni actually tested it and just said that it does not look cheap. So only because you "think" doesn't make it true.

Thanks to everyone else for replies! Yes, I meant that parallax. But if you say it's not a big deal and you can get used to it, then it's ok. I tested previous cintiq just for a few minutes, so didn't get the chance to get used to anything.

And well, I'm buying it just after release, so if I don't lke it after a month, I can always sell it... ; )

Last edited by Anako; March 28th, 2013 at 02:26 AM.
    At spes non fracta.

My deviantART~~
    My portfolio~~
    My Tumblr~~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    As i said it doesn't look cheap at all, it has the same good feeling of all the wacom products, even the foldable/adjustable stand looks and feel very sturdy.
    About the parallax, i really didn't notice it, and i guess it all depends on your working position, but i can tell you after one hour of work you feel like it's been forever since you started using it!
    I'm sure anako you won't regret your purchase

Quote Originally Posted by Anako View Post
    Did you even see the tablet? Because Giorgiobaroni actually tested it and just said that it does not look cheap. So only because you "think" doesn't make it true.

Thanks to everyone else for replies! Yes, I meant that parallax. But if you say it's not a big deal and you can get used to it, then it's ok. I tested previous cintiq just for a few minutes, so didn't get the chance to get used to anything.

And well, I'm buying it just after release, so if I don't lke it after a month, I can always sell it... ; )
    How different can it be from Intuos5? Looks the same type of finish.

Either way, 13 inches wide screen is possibly the worse aspect ratio I can imagine to draw, which is the advantage of the Cintiq, even on the videos it looks so tight and cramped. 16:9 is for video, should never be used for art applications.

I was looking at my old monitors and I think a 4:3 17" is the perfect size, at 700$ it would sell like crazy.

Last edited by Portus; March 28th, 2013 at 03:47 PM.

Can anyone confirm? I heard somewhere that in cintiq 13hd wacom uses plastic screen instead of glass as in 22hd or 24hd. And plastic screen is very keen into scratching. And these materials for tablets cannot make it cost a 1000$, I believe its real price is 500$ and it would still give them profit.

I wonder if wacom and adobe have secret agreement, like wacom pays to adobe so photoshop would support only wacom drivers not other open source stuff or microsoft api. I mean its illogical that adobe won't support microsoft to enlarge potential clients, unless he gets some cookies by not supporting anyone but wacom. So its crime then, anti-monopoly organization should take a look at Wacom and investigate.

Last edited by Hokunin; March 29th, 2013 at 01:32 AM.
    My website: http://www.hokunin.deviantart.com
    My contact: hokunin<at>gmail.com

Join the forces of Evil!
    Evil always needs more tools... I mean... agents!

@Portus: the 3:4 ratio Cintiq 21ux has been replaced with the 22HD....which like the 13HD is also 16:9.

And the 24HD Model is 16:10 (as was the 12wx)

So both Cintiq options in the $1000 & $2000 range give you no choice but 16:9...and the $2500 & $3600 24HDs only get you a miniscule ratio Difference.

Same thing has happened with virtually nearly all Tablet PCs as of late with nearly all of them 16:9...mainly in part because Microsoft mandated that 16:9 is the ideal ratio for Windows 8...additionally...some companies are just scared to put out anything with a 3/4 ratio to avoid Apple potentially suing them. ( http://www.phonearena.com/news/Apple...orners_id36400 )

Truthlly....16:9 isn't that bad for Photoshop work since the wider screen will better accommodate the Layer and Brush Panels. But in generally I agree....3:4 and to a degree 16:10 is better for art then 16:9.....16:9 just makes portrait mode unusable.

some companies are just scared to put out anything with a 3/4 ratio to avoid Apple potentially suing them.
    Very true and that's why we aren't gonna see any 3/4 soon...
    Honestly I don't understand how it can be possible to let ONE company having something like the ratio size of a screen. They are law that are supposed to prevent stupid things like "possessing the square format" or "possessing the rounded corner" or whatever bullshit they invent to steal money to each other... That's just a annoying trick that cause damage to the users at the end.

About photoshop I don't think there are agreements... Photoshop is just a very old software that can't be modified easily. Not without reworking from the basis... They probably are happy wacom is the leader, but they will have to do something sooner or later because well, even wacom is suffering issue with it ^^

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

looks like some are popping up on ebay early

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wacom-Cintiq...item589e0c44f9

Its coming only on end of April.... This one might be scam?

Join the forces of Evil!

Quote Originally Posted by Hokunin View Post
    Its coming only on end of April.... This one might be scam?

I dont think its a scam, but they are still pulling a semi fast one. there is no description when the item will be shipped. if you calculate the shipping there is various options as you would expect saying one day two day ect. after you check your city ebay sites a warning that the shipping date ships more then 15 days after purchase. actual shipping date was expected the end of june.

if someone just bought it and paid whatever shipping later through paypal or aomething they would never know that.

youtube video of some 1 sketching manga on the new wacom cintiq 13hd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBK-gcm9zMs

Quote Originally Posted by Hokunin View Post
    Can anyone confirm? I heard somewhere that in cintiq 13hd wacom uses plastic screen instead of glass as in 22hd or 24hd. And plastic screen is very keen into scratching. And these materials for tablets cannot make it cost a 1000$, I believe its real price is 500$ and it would still give them profit.
    excuse me, what planet are you from. wacom are clearly exploiting their monopolist privilege while pricing products, but you are never forced into purchasing them.
    if you are an art student, you will be just fine with pencils, paints and paper. if you work commercially, a single purchase of a $1k device is not a big deal, or it's in your best interest to reconsider your ways.
    five years ago I would kill for a device with specs like that that would cost 2 or 3 times more.
    as a company that only makes profits from hardware (unlike apple, google mobile department and sony), it's their only way to stay profitable, pay for logistics, management, production (including supplier headhunting and a trillion hidden costs you aren't aware of), driver engineering, advertising and future product research.
    you are paying for stuff that never even made it to the market when purchasing gadgets with wacom logo on them.
    if wacom is a public traded company, part of their profits goes to shareholders at the end.
    stuff sums up, and you see the result on the final pricetag.

if you can find a better alternative to wacom, be it monoprice, trust, aiptek, genius or xing ching, you're free to prefer it.

I wonder if wacom and adobe have secret agreement, like wacom pays to adobe
    and apple pays wacom for photoshop and painter windows specific bugs
    I mean its illogical that adobe won't support microsoft to enlarge potential clients, unless he gets some cookies by not supporting anyone but wacom. So its crime then, anti-monopoly organization should take a look at Wacom and investigate.
    wacom's protected by masons, but do the good thing, little man.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post
    excuse me, what planet are you from.

if you can find a better alternative to wacom, be it monoprice, trust, aiptek, genius or xing ching, you're free to prefer it.

and apple pays wacom for photoshop and painter windows specific bugs

wacom's protected by masons, but do the good thing, little man.
    Jesus Christ man, chill out. Why the sudden hysterics anyway and uncalled negativity, did I hit some spot? Don't tell me you're wacom employee. LOL

Last edited by Hokunin; March 30th, 2013 at 09:33 PM.

Join the forces of Evil!

^ hysterics? thou be projecting.

on uncalled negativity - I do find the appalling self-entitlement in your stance aggravating, and can't help it really.

four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Too bad Wacom doesn't go the distance, put two and two together and make a smart pc. It's a no brainer. A thousand bucks is already a big investment for an accessory and frankly hard to justify now that there are some pretty nice tablet PCs at half the price. About 5 years ago it would have been impressive. The matte screen and command buttons are nice and all, but they need to get with the times before a competitor beats them to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    Too bad Wacom doesn't go the distance, put two and two together and make a smart pc. It's a no brainer. A thousand bucks is already a big investment for an accessory and frankly hard to justify now that there are some pretty nice tablet PCs at half the price. About 5 years ago it would have been impressive. The matte screen and command buttons are nice and all, but they need to get with the times before a competitor beats them to it.
    Yeah, but show me a tablet PC that will run Photoshop, ZBrush and other programs at the same time. I, for instance, need at least 16gb ram in my pc, because I work on huge files, and I would be trully terrified to know the price of a portable wacom that would match my PC.
    I'm not buying a Cintiq because it's a fancy screen tablet, but because it will let me draw directly on the screen, using my PC's guts.

At spes non fracta.

My deviantART~~
    My portfolio~~
    My Tumblr~~

Yeah, but show me a tablet PC that will run Photoshop, ZBrush and other programs at the same time. I, for instance, need at least 16gb ram in my pc, because I work on huge files, and I would be trully terrified to know the price of a portable wacom that would match my PC.
    I'm not buying a Cintiq because it's a fancy screen tablet, but because it will let me draw directly on the screen, using my PC's guts.
    The x230t is capable of 16GB of 1600Mhz RAM. It can handle ZBrush 4r4, Photoshop CS6 Simultaniously with VLC-Player along with 20+tabs in Chrome without lag (tiny bit with large brushes).
    It can handle quite a bit.
    I'll be posting a video review soon.
    It does the trick for semi-polished work.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

yeah but if you are doing serious work, you can't be out jostling on a bus.
    I think that's where the pros are coming from. they would get a cintiq because it is in their office where they WORK. It uses the big gun software and does not run on a battery that will die by lunch. and subsequently in 6 months from overuse.
    A tablet would be for sketching and comping. yes it needs good specs and pressure sensitivity but it's not meant to be a replacement for the cintiq (which I think is what everyone is trying to get). It's just a better option than what's out there now. Something you can concept on and then pull the files into your computer as a sketch to work on. Yes you will be able to finish out art on it, look at some of the gorgeous ipad art out there. But it is not going to be a replacement for cintiqs. A lot of people are going to bitch about the specs, but it will do what it's supposed to do. Remember, it's not a portable cintiq but the next best thing.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

If you want to drop a thousand bucks on that thing I wish you the best of luck and hope it's worth the money. I doubt it, unless money is no object. You'll probably wind up spending less on the PC than the cintiq.

I have a samsung ativ 500t and it's okay. It's about as powerful as nice desktops were 10 years ago. The only issues I have are logistical from the lack of a keyboard and mouse. Which is something I'm happy to adapt to. The only program I've encountered that I couldn't run (well) was artrage. I haven't gone into any 3d other than sketch up (which ran fine). I'm guessing this could handle a modest poly count. I've run 2d animation programs on this and they worked fine.

I have a weird feeling, that some people here still don't understand that there are different needs for 3D artists, photo retouchers, digital painters etc. As a digital painter who tested many different tablets, I can clearly say that only Wacoms met my standards of pressure sensitivity, responsiveness and quality. Many professional digital painters dealt with screen tablets other than Cintiqs and confirm that in this field Wacom is also currently with no competition (even cheaper Yiynova tablets are too laggy and glitchy in comparison).
    I'm not "dropping" thousand bucks, I'm investing them in my art job and career. Because no other tablet right now will meet my requirements in terms of painting directly on a screen for that price.

At spes non fracta.

My deviantART~~
    My portfolio~~
    My Tumblr~~

If you want to drop a thousand bucks on that thing I wish you the best of luck and hope it's worth the money. I doubt it, unless money is no object. You'll probably wind up spending less on the PC than the cintiq.

I have a samsung ativ 500t and it's okay. It's about as powerful as nice desktops were 10 years ago. The only issues I have are logistical from the lack of a keyboard and mouse. Which is something I'm happy to adapt to. The only program I've encountered that I couldn't run (well) was artrage. I haven't gone into any 3d other than sketch up (which ran fine). I'm guessing this could handle a modest poly count. I've run 2d animation programs on this and they worked fine.

..wait a sec....on the Clovertrail Atom ATIV 500T.....it couldn't run Artrage well?

If it was Photoshop and Painter I could place blame on the weak Atom Processor...and if it were Paint Tool Sai I could place blame on the faulty/still unstable Windows 8 Wintab drivers..

But Artrage does not require Wintab for pressure, and additonally.....Artrage is lightweight and fairly less processor demanding then the likes of Photoshop or Painter.

Artrage along with Sketchbook Pro have been for the most part the ideal Tablet PC programs because they generally run fine regardless of the platform and preform bettter on weaker hardware like single core Pentium Mobiles, Core2 solos, etc. While a faster processor is certainly going to benefit Artrage...for the most part the Clovertrail Atom should be able to handle it fine. It ran fine on the my old HP Slate 500 despite using an older and weaker single core atom. And if Artrage can't run well on Clovertrail....that doesn't leave alot of hope for the Clovertrail platform since you'll be hard pressed to find art applications as or more useful then Artrage that require less power.

I think if you wait for a Nvidia Tegra 4 processor to come out you'll be able to run z-brush just fine on tablets. You already can if you don't mind running hot with a short battery life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1G9p4B9lY but The Tegra 4 processor is probably worth waiting for. Probably won't be cheap, but it'll be on par with a top of the line gaming pc.

Beleive me the S-Pen has enough pressure sensitivity. It produces natural, smooth, tapered lines without lag. Only problem is the glass surface and a little accuracy loss in the corners, which does not effect the work area.

I think if you wait for a Nvidia Tegra 4 processor to come out you'll be able to run z-brush just fine on tablets. You already can if you don't mind running hot with a short battery life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1G9p4B9lY but The Tegra 4 processor is probably worth waiting for. Probably won't be cheap, but it'll be on par with a top of the line gaming pc.

Beleive me the S-Pen has enough pressure sensitivity. It produces natural, smooth, tapered lines without lag. Only problem is the glass surface and a little accuracy loss in the corners, which does not effect the work area.

...while the Tegra 4 Platform is set to be a vast improvment....its still a Mobile Processor. This will be the generation that in performance can trump Atom....but its still not going to be comparabale to a proper Core i5.

And even if they did make it x86 compatable to run full windows programs....I'd be very skeptical running a program like z-Brush on it.

And the tablet in that video is a Ep121....godawful tablet. It used a 1st gen ULV core i5 and had terriable performance...while I never ran z-brush on it...photoshop did not take to that tablet well at all. It peformed better then atom at the time...but the battery life was equally bad....barley netting more then 1 & 1/2 hours.

While it may look running decent in that video...trust me the ep121 is the not the best tablet for pro programs.

I have a weird feeling, that some people here still don't understand that there are different needs for 3D artists, photo retouchers, digital painters etc. As a digital painter who tested many different tablets, I can clearly say that only Wacoms met my standards of pressure sensitivity, responsiveness and quality. Many professional digital painters dealt with screen tablets other than Cintiqs and confirm that in this field Wacom is also currently with no competition (even cheaper Yiynova tablets are too laggy and glitchy in comparison).
    I'm not "dropping" thousand bucks, I'm investing them in my art job and career. Because no other tablet right now will meet my requirements in terms of painting directly on a screen for that price.

So if you could pick a mobile device today, for digital painting, what would it be? Do you think there is something portable worth the money for digital painting?

Just for Digital Painting there's a lot of choices.

My personal fav is the Samsung Series 7 Slate. Great screen, great colors, and great overall performance. Its technically the Last generation, but for Digital Painting and Artwork, I can't recommend it enough.

However the overall usefulness of any Tablet is really dependent on your use of it and your general work habits....For example, thus far I have never had the need for more then 4 GB of ram. On my S7S....I use Photoshop CS5 95% of the time....and I don' multitask too much. I May have a few tabs open in Firefox or a comic reader open..so for me the 4 GB is more then enough. I don't think any of my photoshop files when opened have ever exceeded 2gb. Truthfully when you get too large.....you'll have more of a problem with your tools and brushes since they will reach their limits as well.

Now for an Artist like Anako...who works on very large files and needs the 16 GB of ram....the UN-upgradable S7S probably wouldn't be that useful. While a convertible would certainly be better like the aforementioned x230t or T902 since the Ram could be upgraded and they have more powerful processors....given the $1000-$2000 price Range...the performance still won't be as good as her existing Desktop rig...so for her needs a Cintiq 13HD or 22HD for the same price range $1000-$2000 would be a better option.

And one benefit of a Cintiq over Tablet PCs.....The Cintiq can have a much longer life span. Since its only a Tablet Display...in the coming years if she finds 32GB of ram works better....the desktop could still be easier to upgrade...where with a Tablet PC....you really can't upgrade further. Thats more where the "investment" mentality comes in. Despite it costing alot....it will last much longer since you could connect it to any Desktop or Laptop down the line. Yeah the $2000 for a 22HD or the $3600 for the 24HD Touch may seem like pretty high price tags...but its easier to justify the purchase if you can accept it lasting for 5+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by technokill View Post
    So if you could pick a mobile device today, for digital painting, what would it be? Do you think there is something portable worth the money for digital painting?
    The thing is that I'm not looking for a mobile tablet, I just want to paint on a screen. xD And from what I've seen, read and experienced, there's currently nothing more suitable than Cintiqs. And 13HD is something I can actually afford. (24HD still in my dreams)

Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric
    And one benefit of a Cintiq over Tablet PCs.....The Cintiq can have a much longer life span. Since its only a Tablet Display...in the coming years if she finds 32GB of ram works better....the desktop could still be easier to upgrade...where with a Tablet PC....you really can't upgrade further. Thats more where the "investment" mentality comes in. Despite it costing alot....it will last much longer since you could connect it to any Desktop or Laptop down the line. Yeah the $2000 for a 22HD or the $3600 for the 24HD Touch may seem like pretty high price tags...but its easier to justify the purchase if you can accept it lasting for 5+ years.
    Well exactly! I'm not planning to move anywhere with my tablet, I'll still be drawing on my computer. I chose 13HD because it's the cheapest Cintiq yet, and 22HD has gathered bad reviews about its display (technically worse than 13HD O_o). 24HD is fantastic then it comes to colors (92% adobe rgb!), but expesive as hell.

At spes non fracta.

My deviantART~~
    My portfolio~~
    My Tumblr~~

I'd give it a month or two, Anako before you go spending the dosh on the 13HD.
    Let some others check it out and review it. I'm sure it's a fine piece of kit, but if the reviews of the 22HD spooked you lets just wait and see if there's any faults with the 13HD.
    All in all, I'd say go for it. IMO there's nothing else on the market worthwhile for digital on-screen drawing in an office/studio environment considering you don't intend on moving around with it then it's great.

I got my x230t for a portable digital sketchbook. Not for heavy work, that's what the home computer is for coupled with my Intuos5.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

I guess it's just my experience of taking my laptop to class and working with clients at a coffee shop has me attached to portability. Plus I like to work outside. It sucks hunting down a power source. The ability to work on stuff while kickin it with the homies or up and leave the room when you are sick of them is absolutely priceless.

Aside from the outrageous price tag (in comparison) I think it looks pretty bad ass. I guess that's what happens when there is no real competition. I would love the 24hd though. It looks like a whole drawing board. I'll just wait 'till the day I need tax write offs or I land a client that pays expenses.

I'm confused, in this link it states the size has being 15":
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/19/w...13hd-hands-on/

Also had no idea there was a 22"HD, so there's 22HD, the 24HD and the 13HD. If only they kept the numbers even and made a 16HD, that would have been perfect.

probably a typo, they have physical dimensions posted too,
    at 9.76 x 14.76 x 0.55" it won't have a 15" screen.

Powerbrick found!
    It's on this video and the size of a twinkie.
    I wish I understood the language tho.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TH2Ur0T4RkY

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 8