Its Offical , Wacom Cintiq 13HD

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Its Offical , Wacom Cintiq 13HD

http://www.wacom.com/en/products/pen...iq/cintiq-13hd

Experience the power of a high-performance Cintiq in a compact, slim design. The Cintiq 13HD is an interactive pen display that allows you to create directly onto a 13.3” HD display. It offers you many of the advantages of the larger Cintiq, like the four time-saving, customizable ExpressKeys, the Rocker Ring, and the Home Button for easy shortcut access. Its high resolution HD 1920 x 1080 LED display features a 178° viewing angle and renders 16.7 million colors.

The detachable stand adjusts to three different working angles and you can also use the Cintiq 13HD flat on your desktop or in your lap. Wacom’s powerful new Pro Pen with 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity, tilt recognition, and a more comfortable, ergonomic design provides precise control and a better feel than ever. The new Pro Pen comes in a compact carrying case that includes storage for the extra nibs and color rings that help you easily personalize and identify your pen. The Cintiq 13HD experience starts right away – with a new, simple setup. Our convenient new 3-in-1 cable reduces clutter and makes setup on any Mac or PC a snap.

For companies, schools or universities interested in acquiring 5 or more Cinitqs, please contact a Wacom authorized reseller or contact Wacom.

Well I was right....I knew Wacom would never release a Full Standalone tablet. And the Mobility of this Cintiq is in the 3 in 1 Cord, which will make it more portable then the 12wx ever was.

I like how they managed to make it thin...it looks more like an Intuos with a Screen then anything else.

However I do find kind of troubling some of the omissions made to this $999 Cintiq that are present on the much cheaper $350-450 Lenovo LT1423...

1. No Multi touch Support
    2. No Wi-fi connection option
    3. No Battery Pack

The whole wi-fi thing seemed kind of so-so....but I was certain they would enabled touch support since that is so common place now. And the Battery pack omission is also kind of disappointing, since this will draw alot more power from the host laptop.

Still...it looks to be an interesting addition to the Cintiq Line.

...also interestingly they mention its availability as Early April....much sooner then the "Summer" release they mentioned in the Facebook Post. Change in the release date? or does Wacom have more surprises in store?

Last edited by darkmagistric; March 19th, 2013 at 02:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhm i'm still stuck on my intuos3 since the dawn of times and have no plans on change it anytime soon..
    i had the chance to test a cintiq 24hd last year and will replicate next week at the children bookfair here in italy.
    i'll do live performance at the italian illustrators association with wacom staff, last year they bought some "soon to be released" equipment to showcase, so i'll check with them and try to get some more info if someone is interested!
    thanks for the news darkmagistric

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    ...also interestingly they mention its availability as Early April....much sooner then the "Summer" release they mentioned in the Facebook Post. Change in the release date? or does Wacom have more surprises in store?
    I'm pretty sure it's the latter - looks like they've nailed pen-enabled energy efficient screen tech, and decided to push the cheap screen-only model earlier
    I assume the slate would be around $2,5 k at this rate.

I'm still not sure where you got the host laptop part from?

I wonder how painful it would be to use photoshop cs6/painter 12, with their tiny interface fonts, on this small thing
    and how good it is with color accuracy, given the portable target.

not quite happy about lack of displayport option.
    seriously, it's not 2005 anymore, hdmi is OLD already.

still pretty hyped for this one (much better alternative to having an ipad to sketch on your table)

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ikken View Post

I'm still not sure where you got the host laptop part from?

I wonder how painful it would be to use photoshop cs6/painter 12, with their tiny interface fonts, on this small thing
    and how good it is with color accuracy, given the portable target.
    well its a Cintiq....you need an external/host computer to run it. And with the picture of the 3-in-1 cord, given its length the 13HD looks like it gets its power from the computer its connected to, instead of a wall outlet like the 12wx. Thats certainly doable, especially given Wacoms new 10-inch DTU-1031 where the single USB cable supplies video, power and USB data.

In essence you can take this Cintiq beyond the reach of a wall outlet. Not quite into Tablet PC territory since you still need the host computer separate....but you could feasibly use this on a flight, or a class room setting, or a Barnes and Nobles cafe, a starbucks, etc. Basically its portability is on par with Bamboos and Intuos, which is a first for the Cintiq line.

But since you're powering a display and the tablet, there will be a larger battery drain on the host computer then if you were to just use a Bamboo or Intuos. My Macbook Pro gets around 2-3 hours of battey life....using the 13HD with it would probably knock that in half. That's why I was hopping the 13HD would have its own battery to alleviate that issue and prolong the portability.

And as for the screen size, I make do just fine with my S7S which has a smaller 11.6 inch screen. Running CS5 for me is painless on it, no issues with the font size at all. But I'm also well accustomed to using smaller screen sizes since I started with them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    Yes, this is the question. I can't remember exactly the wording of that Facebook message but I feel we were led to believe that it was something mobile, and not just a little bit less bulky than the 12WX.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by joeparis View Post
    Yes, this is the question. I can't remember exactly the wording of that Facebook message but I feel we were led to believe that it was something mobile, and not just a little bit less bulky than the 12WX.
    We’ve heard you shouting out loud for a Wacom mobile tablet for creative uses. Well… we’re listening. We’ve read your email and spoken to many about an on-the-go dream device. It will come. This summer. We’re working 24/7 on it. And yes, it has a real pressure-sensitive professional pen, smooth multi-touch, an HD display, and other valuable features that you haven’t seen in other tablets.

I still think they're coming out with a tablet. This is not it. The message mentions multi-touch. Anxious to hear a review on this though!!

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by philofmars View Post
    We’ve heard you shouting out loud for a Wacom mobile tablet for creative uses. Well… we’re listening. We’ve read your email and spoken to many about an on-the-go dream device. It will come. This summer. We’re working 24/7 on it. And yes, it has a real pressure-sensitive professional pen, smooth multi-touch, an HD display, and other valuable features that you haven’t seen in other tablets.

I still think they're coming out with a tablet. This is not it. The message mentions multi-touch. Anxious to hear a review on this though!!
    They still are. This is a refresh of the smaller Cintiq. It replaces the 12wx. The portable tablet is still coming

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by joeparis View Post
    That's because this is the refresh of the 12wx, not the mobile tablet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i cant imagine what the tablet will cost ..for wacom to have any hope of making it a sucsess they need the correct price ...to expensive and people will just buy surface pro etc etc ..ive had the cin 24hd and couldnt stand the screen coating so went back to a 21ux and for mobile work i use a fugitsu t902 so when wacom release this new tablet it wil have to be special for me to get it .....as for the 13 inch pen display crazy in my opinion ...cant see many people buying it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by andya147 View Post
    i cant imagine what the tablet will cost ..for wacom to have any hope of making it a sucsess they need the correct price ...to expensive and people will just buy surface pro etc etc ..ive had the cin 24hd and couldnt stand the screen coating so went back to a 21ux and for mobile work i use a fugitsu t902 so when wacom release this new tablet it wil have to be special for me to get it .....as for the 13 inch pen display crazy in my opinion ...cant see many people buying it
    Well, it's the same price as the 12 inch model and that did decent

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well you can always plug the usb cord into a wall plug adapter and there you go, no more battery drain on your laptop.
    different matter if we talk portability, trying to get to a wall plug in public places might not be that easy..

as far as the user interface in photoshop/painter, well for sure it will be small, but nothing impossible to read..and actually after years of using the same software every day all day long, i refined the art of keyboard shortcuts, and what is not covered by them i can reach it with a simple gesture that is now in my muscular memory.
    if we talk about beginners ok, they might have problems trying to find that exact menu on a small screen, but this is not a toy for beginners..

anyway i just got word from the guys at wacom italy, i'll have the opportunity to test the 13hd next week, so if you have any question for me to check on the tablet, or any questions for the wacom guys just let me know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you can, try and confirm it can indeed be powered by a Laptop or if it does need AC power.

Looking over the specs.....it does apppear that there is indeed a seperate Power Brick needed...but its odd....the specs mention that the only included cable is the 3-in-1 cable....which from the full picture of the cable Wacom has....there is no power brick nor a cable length nessicary for such a brick. Unless they consider the power brick "part" of the 3-in-1 Cable and they are just refusing to show that part of it.

Or maybe they'll sell that part separately ....that would be a new low for Wacom.

I'd be very dissapointed if this required AC power, especially since the 10 incher DTU tablet is fully USB powered....and the screen is only 3 inchers smaller and has a lower res. You'd think they'd be able to rig it so it was fully USB powered or could have done a battery pack. AC-less mobilitary would be nice boon for this product.

However on the brightside, Wacom Europe has confimed that the "Mobile Wacom Tablet" is indeed a seperate device and not the 13HD....so there may still be hope for a more portable product.

Last edited by darkmagistric; March 19th, 2013 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think there is a power brick that connects to the 3 in 1 cable. i think what they wanted to show with the 3 in 1 cable is that it no longer has the converter box that the 12wx had. something alot of people complained about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by giorgiobaroni View Post
    well you can always plug the usb cord into a wall plug adapter and there you go, no more battery drain on your laptop.
    different matter if we talk portability, trying to get to a wall plug in public places might not be that easy..
    I don't know, wouldn't you need the usb in the laptop to run the software? the cintiqs have no hard drive to store software, they are just input units. Now if you plugged the laptop into the wall, then you wouldn't use the battery...
    I looked on the site and the manual isn't up for this unit yet.

http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know, wouldn't you need the usb in the laptop to run the software? the cintiqs have no hard drive to store software, they are just input units. Now if you plugged the laptop into the wall, then you wouldn't use the battery...
    I looked on the site and the manual isn't up for this unit yet.
    nice point.. i was saying that plugging the tablet to the wall won't drain the laptop battery..but then if you have the chance to be close to a wall plug you just use it for your laptop, and then you don't need any usb adapter.
    i know the cintiq needs a computer to work with, i just didn't wrote my thoughts correctly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still curious to know what will be the mobile device, even if I'm guessing it will cost a lot.

I was hoping wacom would cut a little the price for the 13 inch cintiq...
    Even if they said it's for professional, isn't it an excuse for going high price ? I'm sorry for this I would expect a better contrast ratio and definitly a perfect fit of colors with true colors. If it's not a toy, time to give it the real professional spec it should have for "professionals working in image". I hope when the reviews appear they will show a good result on this point...

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a video review here and you can see the plugs. 2 go in the laptop, usb and one other. but it looks like they had to buy some sort of adapter to do it...
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/03/19/w...13hd-hands-on/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a video review here and you can see the plugs. 2 go in the laptop, usb and one other. but it looks like they had to buy some sort of adapter to do it...
    They don't show it technically connected to an AC outlet....but that third cord (the power cord I presume)...is going somewhere......but given its short length and proximity to the other cords....there has to be another cord or power brick for it to connect to for it to reach the outlet from that table height. I'm probablly too paranoid...but kind of suspicious how they convienently don't show that.

No clue about that white cord....maybe its HDMI to thunderbolt adapter or something.

On the specs sheet

HDMI– can be connected to DVI, VGA or mini display with adaptors (not included)

I have to say though, watching that video...The 13HD does look really good in action.

Last edited by darkmagistric; March 19th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    they use a hdmi2minidisplay port adapter... which is super annoying because displayport can handle both video stream and tablet data just fine (no need for usb in that case), and they don't even offer it as an option

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    every video on you tube doesnt show the power adapter. every pic on google images does not show the power adapter. what are they hiding that would make them show every aspect of it except that...I dont get it. a power brick is just a power brick. unless its huge or something, what does it matter. its still more portable without the convertor box of the 12wx.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the size of a small child.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry to say but the wacom cintiq 13hd looks fragile and cheaply made...$1000 buck's why too much it looks like it should be about $400 maybe $500 buck's at best.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't like anything about it, the resolution vs size compression, the format 16:9, contrast... it's just the same old overpriced Wacom products.

Make a 20' 16:10 with a proper panel and we're talking, please with good plastic and finishes, if they're going to charge this much at least make it worth it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    I don't like anything about it, the resolution vs size compression, the format 16:9, contrast... it's just the same old overpriced Wacom products.

Make a 20' 16:10 with a proper panel and we're talking, please with good plastic and finishes, if they're going to charge this much at least make it worth it.
    Why don't you buy Cintiq 21UX or Cintiq 22HD then? It's just 2 inch difference from what you want from 13HD.

And the small factor display tablet cannot be larger than 15-17 inches(I agree that 12 or 13 inches are kinda small). The point of this is that its supposed to fit into backpack for easy travel. 20 inches won't fit into anything - it would be full desktop then and loses its purpose.

Last edited by Hokunin; March 26th, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
    My website: http://www.hokunin.deviantart.com
    My contact: hokunin<at>gmail.com

Join the forces of Evil!
    Evil always needs more tools... I mean... agents!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok guys, back from my trip to Bologna Children's Bookfair yesterday, where i had the chance to play around with the 13hd.
    it looks great, it has a great feeling, i love the matte screen (i know the picture doesn't show it all, but lighting at the booth was horrible) and it's brightness, combined to the fact that you don't see pixels is like drawing on a piece of paper.
    it doesn't look cheap or fragile at all, it has the same look and feel of every wacom professional product.

as far as the power supply issues many of you pointed out, the wacom guy told me that in NEEDS to be plugged to a wall output to work, the usb connected to the desktop/laptop simply isn't enough to power the tablet.

i completely forgot to take a pic of the power adapter that was under the desk (you can see the 3 way cable going under the table in the top left) but i saw it when they cleared the booth yesterday night and it's almost the same size as the usb hub you see in the picture.

Name:  cintiq 13hd.jpg
Views: 7725
Size:  413.1 KB

28. The Following User Says Thank You to giorgiobaroni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for the report! I'm almost convinced to buy this Cintiq and upgrade from my Intuos 3. Can you tell me about the gap between the surface and the screen itself? I got to test Cintiq 21UX for a few minutes some time ago and then I really didn't like that gap. Is it very bothersome with 13HD?

Ohh and one more thing, just to make sure - even if it's much smaller than 24HD, is it still sufficient for making high-res digital paintings? Because that's what I'm doing.

Last edited by Anako; March 27th, 2013 at 11:57 AM.
    At spes non fracta.

My deviantART~~
    My portfolio~~
    My Tumblr~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Anako View Post
    Can you tell me about the gap between the surface and the screen itself?Ohh and one more thing, just to make sure - even if it's much smaller than 24HD, is it still sufficient for making high-res digital paintings? Because that's what I'm doing.
    which gap are you referring to?
    and about high res painting, i guess you won't have any problem since the screen resolution is high enough and it has the same sensitivity of the 24hd and uses the same pen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's referring to Parallax. The digitizer resides below the screen, so there is a very very tiny gap from where the pen tip actually contracts the screen and from where the cursor would be.

The Surface Pro for example is known for having the least amount of Parallax since they optically bonded the screen and the digitizer.

For the most part though it depends on how the tablet was manufactured, the thickness of the glass, and coatings put on it, etc.

Tablet PCs and Cintiqs have always had this to varying degrees. Its alot like the debate over Pressure in the sense that for some people 256 levels is just as adequate as 2048, where as others need 2048 levels. I've used many Tablet PCs...and I don't even notice Parallax. Since you have a hovering cursor...after awhile you just kind of subconsciously adapt. But that depends on the person using it.

And this should be more then sufficient for High Res Painting since the performance would be equal to using a larger Cintiq like the 24HD. It all depends on the computer you plug it into...but the res is the same as the 24HD as well. The only difference is really just the size. You may find 13 inches too cramped and small....but aside from that there would be no difference in your end product.

I'm surprised more people aren't liking the 13HD....while I'm not happy with it needed an external power source...I love the design and look of it. It seamlessly merges a Citniq into an Intuos form factor.

While I doubt they would do the same for a 24 inch screen....I can see them incorporating screens into other sizes....kind of blurring the line between Cintiq and Intuos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The gap more or less goes unnoticed.

When using the pen, your viewpoint is usually above the pen tip/cursor, therefore they appear to be touching. It's more noticeable when viewed at an angle, but who paints like that? (Ok, so you do)

Get rid of big iconic cursors. Most programs have a pixel cursor which gives the appearance of, well... no cursor at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokunin View Post
    Why don't you buy Cintiq 21UX or Cintiq 22HD then? It's just 2 inch difference from what you want from 13HD.

And the small factor display tablet cannot be larger than 15-17 inches(I agree that 12 or 13 inches are kinda small). The point of this is that its supposed to fit into backpack for easy travel. 20 inches won't fit into anything - it would be full desktop then and loses its purpose.
    You're right, 17 inches minimum. There needs to be a good pixel density which I don't think these panels have. 21" and 24"HD should be the only models available imo.

The tablet looks cheap as hell, I don't understand how anyone can think differently, I'm not an hater or fanboy, to me it could be better, Wacom been hitting the lower end for too many years, cheapening out where they can while not lowering the price.

Last edited by Portus; March 28th, 2013 at 10:44 AM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 5