Sketchbook: Conivii's chance to create || Highschool student

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Conivii's chance to create || Highschool student

Hey everybody,

My names Leon, I am currently going to highschool in Munich/Germany and perparing
    for my final exams. After finishing school I am going to try and hand in a portfolio at
    various art academies. I will put up stuff from my sketchbook as well as pictures of
    finished pieces, along with concept-sketches of them.
    I've been a long time silent-reader, and decided to put up my own stuff eventually.
    Comments and critics would be really awesome!

Name:  DSC_0080.jpg
Views: 261
Size:  454.8 KB
    A sketch I did a long time ago from imagination..

These are some sketches of a table for a exhibition I did with my class.
    It shows my intents on building a giant table thing (it's not, because it's cut in half and
    basically 2,5 meters tall). I'll put the finished table up here too, as soon as I can lay my hands
    on the pictures my buddies took of it.
    The task was to exhibit in a room, and to defer with it. The room itself was in barracks,
    build during the Nazi-time (~1930s). Motif of the exhibition was "generalüberholt" -
    something like a general overhaul... The table stood in a room of it's own.
    Like I said - more pictures of this will follow!
    hope you enjoy!

Name:  DSC_0072.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  340.7 KB
    I took reference from my living room table, to get a feeling for the relations and lengths.
    In the end, I build it three times larger than in reallife with nearly exact proportions.

Name:  DSC_0074.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  507.4 KB
    This is a study of the detail top and foot (?). And my thinking of how to attach it to the wall.

Name:  DSC_0075.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  498.9 KB
    Some mathematics I did for scale-reasons

Name:  DSC_0076.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  472.3 KB
    And some more maths...

Unfortunately I got no pictures of the finished table, but I will get some anytime soon.

Have a good day!

PS: Sorry for the bad picture quality.

Last edited by Conivii; March 16th, 2013 at 03:05 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey its good to see another young artist here on CA.org , Art school is expensive, and remember that you can still learn a lot while in high school. some things i suggest for you to read and study are: Andrew loomis books- successful drawing, and figure drawing(available as free pdfs). These two are really good if you're just starting out because they cover some of the basics of lighting, perspective, anatomy and proportions.Keep it up, the more practice, the better you'll be.

"Art is never finished, only abandoned." Leonardo Da Vinci

My Sketchbook:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post3362160

art website:http://calebportfolio.webs.com/

4. The Following User Says Thank You to blazingdimensions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Conivii.
    I'm new here too. I like the idea of the table. I've always wanted to be small like a kid again. I need one of these tables. It's kinda scary to see the way you sketch. The marks you make look just like mine in my sketches. funny coincidence. :-)

Looking forward to the table.

My sketchbook Please drop by. :-)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lost My Marbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @blazingdimensions:
    Lucky me, the universities here in Germany doesn't cost you a thing anymore soon - so if I got a bit of luck.. And thanks for the reading advise, I googled it and downloaded some, plus a few others as well, and I'm full of hope that they can help me with my stuff!
    Starting out from zero is not the matter with me, I guess, but basics are always good and there's always a thing to learn or train.. It's all about exercises, but with my exams coming soon it's really hard to do some stuff. I thin I'll just take my sketchbook with me and start drawing on my way to school or something.. but yeah, we'll see )

@Lost My Marbles:
    Then I can welcome here you as well The idea with the table was just the beginning. The construction plan and the meta-layer behind the project have been changed so many times. In the end it was about, how the negative space, such as the room around the table itself can change the associations that come along with it. And this experiment went very well! The childlike memories turned to a feeling of helplessness, as the old Nazi-building did its work to it. In the end I had the feeling of being sucked in into a machine of bureaucracy, of being small - facing your superior. It was a very interesting experience... Next up's the question: what am I going to do with the table? 350$ of wood in my basement haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @blazingdimensions:
    Lucky me, the universities here in Germany doesn't cost you a thing anymore soon - so if I got a bit of luck.. And thanks for the reading advise, I googled it and downloaded some, plus a few others as well, and I'm full of hope that they can help me with my stuff!
    Starting out from zero is not the matter with me, I guess, but basics are always good and there's always a thing to learn or train.. It's all about exercises, but with my exams coming soon it's really hard to do some stuff. I thin I'll just take my sketchbook with me and start drawing on my way to school or something.. but yeah, we'll see )

@Lost My Marbles:
    Then I can welcome here you as well The idea with the table was just the beginning. The construction plan and the meta-layer behind the project have been changed so many times. In the end it was about, how the negative space, such as the room around the table itself can change the associations that come along with it. And this experiment went very well! The childlike memories turned to a feeling of helplessness, as the old Nazi-building did its work to it. In the end I had the feeling of being sucked in into a machine of bureaucracy, of being small - facing your superior. It was a very interesting experience... Next up's the question: what am I going to do with the table? 350$ of wood in my basement haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha yeah, wood is expensive. Glad you already have some so you can start construction. I get the idea that you really like working conceptually from your last post. Do you want to study fine arts at art school?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @LMM:
    Haha yeah and now I'm broke (for now. that's the bad thing about still going to school)! I think that's my way of working, even though a game design-corporation would be nice working for..
    Yep I want to try my best at fine arts, maybe with "staatsexamen" - so I'm allowed to teach at Highschool or higher schools.. But I will find out, I'm not sure yet.. And you? What're your plans?

Well, these are skripts of an art perfomance I'm going to do in Munich. The whole thing will be recorded on tape and pictures, and I'll make sure to upload some, if it's done.
    A group of people wearing gas masks and carrying signs will go through the main shopping street in Munich. The signs read "I have no idea what I'm doing", "Demonstrate against nothing", "I'm with you" and " " (Nothing).
    It's about the youth of today (which I am part of obviously) - and the non-opinion-ish lifestyle most of them have. Identification through mass, only friends via facebook, following the stream, and believe everything.
    In the sketches there are a few variations (sign size, etc) and thoughts about the message and the outcome in general.
    Name:  DSC_0077.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  451.1 KB

Name:  DSC_0078 Kopie.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  376.7 KB

Unfortunately I was not able to retrieve the pictures of the table yet, but I am going to get them back tomorrow, so I can upload them!

Just sneak a peak at My Sketchbook !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there!
    I got some updates! First of all a piece of traditional work: a naked propaganda poster version of Kim Jong Il. Focus in this work was on the style in general and to mock a bit
    the topic of propaganda. Hope you like it!
    Name:  NochKleinererKim.JPG
Views: 93
Size:  452.2 KB

And then the promised pictures of the build table. Plus random visitor for scale reasons:
    Name:  Klein.JPG
Views: 64
Size:  484.9 KB
    Name:  Vonuntenkleiner.JPG
Views: 65
Size:  490.6 KB

C&C are welcome
    Have a nice day!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, a naked Kim. :-P
    Are you going to paint the table? You should take a picture of the table from a super low viewpoint. That would make the table look even bigger.

Yup fine arts seems to suit you best. I like the idea of performance art. I'm thinking of doing something for April fools in my town because nothing ever happens here. Not sure if I have time, but I'll do it next year if it doesn't work out now.

Ah so you want to be an art teacher. That's cool. Before I knew I wanted to do art I wanted to be a teacher. I really like the idea of teaching people, but I've decided not to get into it. Art is what I want to do most. I'm going to study illustration probably or fine arts if I end up going to Artez or KABK because those schools don't have illustration departments, so fine arts is the next best thing. I was thinking of getting a degree in teaching art because it seems like a good idea career wise, but I decided not to be sensible. I decided to sabotage my future so I don't have a choice other than to make art. If you get a teaching degree you you'll probably end up teaching for the rest of your life because it's easier than making a living off of your art. I don't want to end up like that. No matter how poor I get, no matter if I have to live in a box, I will not give up art for a stable life. I'd like to do private drawing lessons though, just for fun. You don't need a degree for that.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Lost My Marbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah my teacher really liked the idea. It's not finished though, but I got the feeling it has to be this way and working on it further would just make it bad..
    Someone at the exhibition took some more pictures with a tripod and I think there are a few super low perspective one's under them, so when I can lay a hand on the pics...

Yeah? Well if you do that keep me postet, I'm really interested in hwat you're going to do!
    The time thing is always the biggest problem (if not: money) but someday you'll do it!

Yeah I know that kind of thoughts. That's the reason I'm taking a year off, after I get my a-levels. Just to make sure.
    I know I don't want to end up this way, but I really like working with people, especially ones that take art seriously.. but I don't want to teach art until I'm 45 or something
    and realize I wasted my life. I think of art as something I will do, and it doesn't matter what Job I'm going to have, or where I live or something. It's certainly not a mere hobby,
    but a calling. (okay that sounds a bit self absorbed and overconfident) but do you know what I mean? I know that I'm actually gonna DO art, I just don't know how to yet.
    Maybe I will go to film-school, which is one of my dreams as well (already got a project to work on..blabla) or I'm going to do something completely different,
    but I will do my art, I want to do it and I WILL do it. I will reach people, or try it at least. I just got to find out how, and if they wanna listen haha

But your plan sounds reasonable as well! You must've been thinking a lot about that lately!
    You know your aims and you're going to reach them, just the way is not that clear,
    in this aspect I think we're quite similar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm on my year off now heh I mean “sabbatical year” we must be twins or something. :-P
    If you want to teach people who take art seriously maybe private tutoring would be an option. Only motivated people search out art teachers. High school kids don't take it seriously. They'll just do the bare minimum to not get a failing grade. Teaching at an art school would be better though maybe. I've had these fantasies where I would teach the unmotivated high school kids the wonders of art just like in those teacher movies where the teacher turns the worse class into a class of little Einstein’s, but that's just delusional. I have a feeling that if I would teach highs school art I'd lose all faith in humanity. High school kids are little unmotivated lazy brats. I know because I was one of them.
    Yup it's hard to decide which path to take sometimes but once you're on the right path you'll just know. 2 years ago I liked art, but I didn't know what to do with it. I almost gave it up as a career plan because I thought it wasn't for me. Then I just randomly decided to make a children's book. When I was done with it I knew what I was meant for in life. Sounds cheesy, but it's the truth. I can't go back now.

Keep up the good work! I hope to see crazy performance art from you soon.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lost My Marbles For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha got to cite Dr. Horrible: "what a crazy random happenstance!"
    I'm in the last months of high school as well atm, even when I've got holidays right now here in Germany. But my class, of which everyone is aiming for art school/film school/etc is exactly that bunch of people I want to teach.
    Most of them are very motivated and I like the idea of helping someone to find the way to their own art. On the other hand it is a case of one in thousand I guess and I don't like telling little "brats" like you said to draw a house...
    Then again, tutoring at university would be a thing, but concerning my skills and experience there's now way of thinking of it. Your suggestion to lecture in private lessons is a pretty good idea as well ... hmm I think about it

Yep I think that's the way to as well! One just got to try different things and if one's on the right path he will notice it haha
    thanks for the compliment! I'll make sure to post photos/a video of it, when it's done :3

have a good day buddy!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.