Sketchbook: Not so scared anymore(ish). (Advice, guidance, con.crit, show me the way!))
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Not so scared anymore(ish). (Advice, guidance, con.crit, show me the way!))

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Not so scared anymore(ish). (Advice, guidance, con.crit, show me the way!))

Holy hell guys, I am nervous as I type this. Like, legit shaky.

So I was here a while back with a sketchbook thread ( http://www.conceptart.org/showthread.php?p=3176035 ), and I did my best to post and stay active and stay motivated but I didn't last long to be honest, I was just so freaked out when I looked at other people's work. It was just so damn good, I felt utterly insignificant. As if I'd done something irreversibly wrong with my art and I'd never succeed in this field.

That was then though, and this is now, and I'm back to try and get involved here again. I need a community. I need to grow that thick skin, I could use some motivation, and I need someone to tell me what to study and how to try to fix the downfalls I know I have. I know I have a long way to go, but I'm sure I can do this. With you guys, with my determination, with the knowledge that ever since I can remember I was designing monsters and games. But I know that isn't a free pass, I will work my ass off if you guys tell me to. All I want is to build worlds. I'm that little bit older now at nearly 18, and I think I'm ready to start this engine up again. Kinda missed you guys.

So to start off I'm just gonna be posting my bests and worsts, tell me what's good, what's bad, I gotta learn to objectify this stuff or else if I ever get this job I'll just be sat there crying at my client like "HOW COULD YOU SAY THAT BEHEHUHUAH", so yeah. Not good. Also, colour for me is a pretty huge learning curve, I am very sluggish with it and have really only within the last month or so started tentatively playing with it. Any guidance you can give me with regard to it would be a huge help!

Will start uploading sketchbook stuff soon, I just don't have any to hand at the minute and my brain is exhausted.

PS: All of this stuff was done within the a year ago.
    PPS: The pencil sketch and the rough yellowy PhotoShop sky scape sketch are my exercising my ability to work without ref.

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Last edited by Npc Rebellion; March 19th, 2013 at 06:56 PM.
    I do believe this is my Sketchbook. Take a look, feedback and anything that will help is always appreciated!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should chill out man, it's not a race to get good You should look at, admire, and aspire to be like the other great artists around here, but there's no reason to compare or envy them. If you keep practising you will eventually get to a level where you're satisfied with your own art. Everyone learns at their own pace!

And no need to be afraid of failure, you learn something every time, even if you don't feel like it. Anyways I don't have much time to give you any worthwhile crits right now, and I'm probably not the best to be giving them out anyways, so I'll just say your work is looking good and you show a lot of potential, so just keep at it and enjoy what you do!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just practice your weak points and you will do great, just don't be afraid to get out of your comfort zone =]
    Keep us updated!!

I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad you aren't scared anymore, and welcome! From what I see, your figures seem stiff; great shading and constructive, but too stiff. I'd suggest working on fluidity in your work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys These aren't in order for some reason but this was my last sketchbook, it's about 5 days work. So now you have a better idea what kind of workload I can handle on a good week, and can see where I'm at with the more sketchy basic stuff. Any guidance or suggestions about what I should focus on are super welcome Will hopefully get round to posting today's actual work in the evening or something. Thinking I might try to update this daily, but I'm not gonna be super regimented about it, otherwise I get into a weird headspace with it.

Vezares - Hey man, thanks for the kind words You're absolutely right, I need to chill out. I've just been reading too much about work hours suggested that people put in. You start to feel if you don't pull 10 hours out of the hat every day, or don't necessarily feel like blasting through Loomis texts 24/7 you're doomed to failure. It's kind of ridiculous. You're encouragement is very helpful, and what you suggest is something I'm trying very hard to work by

V3T - Thanks for the advice dude You're sure right about weak points! One of the main reasons I'm on here is so people can point them out to me so I can machete away at them haha Thanks again dude!

RissaKay - Hey there and thanks for the guidance! I see what you mean in my work, you got me to spend some time last night sketching free running stills on Youtube to try and exercise that fluidity, I know it's a bit of an over simplification of a solution haha, but it made me realise I don't often draw people caught in motion, I should do it more But hopefully I can upload those later today!

I do believe this is my Sketchbook. Take a look, feedback and anything that will help is always appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there. Don't be afraid of exploring, of being curious an of evolving. This is a part of learning about yourself. Art is about discovering yourself in others and in yourself also. When I first posted i also felt really bad about myself , like I felt a tremendous pressure from all the hotshots that knew better than me by a long mile , but I can't say I've gotten past that feeling.

I still feel the pressure , of time , of age , of not doing anything productive that much. Work harder , observe more , learn more. You'll feel better at the end and don't give up , because nothing is more regretful than that.

Keep the intensity.

Please visit , comment , critique and have a chat with me

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rostas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah god guys, today has been weird. I'm frustrated at the minute because I'm limited with regard to how much time I can devote to art currently. I'm doing a course with the Open University at the minute and it's come to a bit of a head... Don't like making excuses but I am not happy with today's workload. It drains my energy when I have to blag my way through essays and "reflect" for 300 words. Just want to paint, yano?

Anyway so yeah, I'm uploading this with a couple of things I did last night that I couldn't post at the time. The photoshop work was fun, about a half hour on Kennedy (that's who it is if it wasn't obvious, which I fear it isn't :L) And an hour on Hitchcock (again, I'm working on likeness here, it's a weak point of mine). Also Captain S.E.G (Shit eating grin), as I like to call him, sort of evolved out of something I wanted to be serious but don't have the skills/faith to pull off. No reference for him/it.

Crit/advice/love/support is more appreciated than you might realise I want to get round to returning the favour to you guys, I'll try and be active tonight

Rostas - I'm glad I'm not the only one haha! It is a worry putting your stuff out there in front of semi-pros and pros alike... I'm sure though if we don't let it stop us we'll be the one's making everyone else feel a little nervous some day haha Thank you for your input, you're very right. This is most definitely a battle worth fighting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cracking up at your little notes to yourself! 'Perspective, you are a dick!'

Just keep on going man, your figures are definitely getting better, and faces will follow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good, clean linework, i like what I'm seeing! There should be more, I want to see more!

The animal studies are coming along good, proportions seem good. Although there's a hippopotamus
    study in perspective that could use more understanding first, before you start drawing. So overall, try
    to understand what you're drawing first, as good as you can, and then put pencil on paper.

The figures look good, the features and muscles as well. What could use some work in my opinion
    are your proportions. Try establishing that, and the general flow of the figure before you start.

Cheers!

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some great lines, really glad you decided to show your sketches. You have a good handle on the human figure, way better than I have the moment. I would post something more constructive but you have a better grasp of things. Keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry for no update last night, so this is a couple of days work (a few scribbles late on the 16th as well, but not much). Yesterday I couldn't get as much drawing done as I'd have liked, and today it's been a little sparse as well (had a visit to the hospital about a back problem of mine, s'all good), but yesterday was worth it, as I was visiting a life long friend of my mum and me who offered to give me tutorship in drawing and painting, he's a fantastic artist whom I really rate. I'm very excited to see what he can pass on to me as he has a very traditional background in art. He also made me feel a lot more confident about my chances, it'll still be tough but he seems to have faith in me. I've noticed of late my understanding of figures and faces and so on is all steadily getting better, as is, I suppose, my ability to draw what I see. But other aspects appear to have stayed the same pretty much. Hopefully under tutorship I can speed up my development and gain some proper guidance, otherwise I could be hankering over the same problems for years until I finally realise what was wrong. But hey! That's why I'm posting here! To get things pointed out to me I may not have noticed in my work

The still life I did was inspired just by the long talk I had with this guy about art and theory. He made colour seem a lot more doable and formulaic almost. I felt confident so I set up some apples and grapes and did a sort of okay colour block.

Inkthyosaur - Haha, thanks man, the little notes are a nice way to break the pace, and keep a more clear narrative to my art hehe. I'm glad they're funny to other people and it's not just me sat there chuckling lightly about my own jokes hehe. You got me doing more faces, 'tis a weak point of mine. Bloody likeness haha. Thank you again! I'll keep driving forward!

BlackDelphin- Haha, thanks man! More is definitely on the way. Hopefully I'll be churning out a lot more when my time table frees up a bit. That's good advice mate, I'll keep that in mind I think you may be right, I'll put a little more thought into my proportions and flow next time Thanks for the feedback!

Dicemarine - Thank you! It's alright man, any comment is a really nice thing to receive I keep wanting to reply to people and post on there's sketchbooks but I feel bad because I don't feel like I'd be able to say anything helpful haha :L I shall keep posting, thank you again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, not much to say today. Went into town, did some sketching in Starbucks. Went okay, haven't sketched like that in a while though. Real rusty with the quick stuff. I've just been indoors all the time locking myself away with my pad for days at a time for weeks now. Actually breathed some air, so nice. Working on trying to get likeness a bit here, some quick scribbles from last night, and also this quick colour block painting from a mug shot. I'm aware the facial anatomies a bit shit, I always rush sketches when I intend to paint... If anyone can see anything I'm doing wrong though please critique the hell out of it, I really want some things to keep in mind next time I try and paint. I know I'm not producing enough work lately :/ I want to get back to much bigger workloads.

Seriously, lots of critique and advice for improvement please people! don't be shy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, just some gesture drawing from last night and today's workload. Got really into doodling characters, ended up with a lot of imagined stuff, just couldn't get into or find any referenced stuff that caught my eye. Finding myself frustrated with having so much imagination just wanting to be put to use, and not the skills to make it happen. I just want to transpose my ideas onto paper but it's still so hard, getting there and finding art to be more and more rewarding without reference. I think I'm getting better at putting pen to paper and visualising my ideas. So, SO lovely when it works.

All that stuff aside though, tell me what to focus on, what you think I should work to improve. Crit me guys! What should I do?? Anything at all! :L

Thanks for checking out my stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Weird day guys. Feel a tad directionless at the minute, nothing I want to get my teeth into apart from imagined stuff, and I never feel like I'm learning enough when I draw without ref. I dated one of these images the 20th by accident., ignore that, these are all from today. No ref for the dude with the gun as well. Just kind of hit a wall today, maybe tomorrow holds more vigour.

So yeah, it's getting lonely here I feel guys, anyone around? You're missed. My Sketchbook's starting to look terribly self centred.

Critique, direction, anything at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,
    You've got potential. Don't overthink things like 'why don't people reply to my sketchbook' and such. It's good to take art as seriously as you do, but you need to channel that into the right directions! Don't mass all these feelings on top of you as a person, use them to fuel your motivation. You want to make a career with your art? convert the anger into motivation like, 'I will make it! I know I'll make it!'. You need to keep a clear mind to put out great drawings.
    You need to work on your form and structure. I'm not reading the mass of your drawings that well. Take a reference and 'really' study it for a long period of time. Take each part and go from the big forms to the small ones. Take not of the mass of things and how that affects the shadows you see.
    Take these videos as a better example of what I'm trying to explain.
    http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/constructive-form-pt-1
    http://ctrlpaint.com/videos/form-not-shape
    Cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not a lot done today, lacked motivation to power through the internet to find a reference I wanted to use. Just end up getting caught up in extensive imagined work. Learnt that with imagined work however, I learn my weak spots better than with referenced. This may just be my opinion, but when drawing something with no reference you either think "yeah I can wing that" or "...Okay fuck drawing legs he's having tentacles instead.. Damn I need to work on legs." Having said that however, I always see the flaws in my work upon uploading it. Damnit :L

Sleep.less - Hey man! Thank you such a lot for dropping me such a helpful comment! Had difficulties today, but what you said was still in my mind as I was working. I had a go at breaking things down into basic forms as those videos you linked advised! Totally fucked it up though haha, but I get what you mean. I feel I need to work on my figures, when I look at someone who knows what they're doing with figures (yourself, if I may say so haha), I realise what it is I'm working toward with them, what the flaws I have are, and how I'm very, very, very far from where I need to be! I'll keep breaking them down more in future when I'm studying and try and fit in more considered studies. Thanks again!

So yeah, crits, advice, generally anything. Always nice to get replies

Thanks for checking out my stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry for no update yesterday, had a lot of work to do that meant I wasn't able to do much drawing at all. I figured it wasn't really worth my time or yours to just post a few meagre scraps. However today has been the same, and I fear tomorrow shall be as well. Work with the Open Uni is building up atm, got my birthday coming up in a couple of days, then I'm off to see my girlfriend a few days after that, with most days in between having quite a few things in them as well. But I'll stop with the excuses! Just warning I may not be hugely active for a while.

Just working on form here, trying to form my own understanding of figures. Had a lot of fun really trying to think about how these people go together. Couple days work here (I know, I know. Not good.)

Critique, advice, you know the drill hehe. S'always nice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, great start to a sketchbook, lots of studies here which is awesome to see.

Taking that leap into the unfamiliar and throwing yourself to the wolves is always prity scary. Though try to turn every situation into a positive. That what i try to do anyway (sometimes unsuccessfully mind you :p) For instance
    "My work feels unsignificant and shit compared to X, Y and Z and i feel like a failure, BUT without failure i will never improve. So i'll learn from this experience and grow from it."
    In a culture where everything is a quick fix it's sometimes easy to forget how much time you must invest in order to excel in a skill like this. Those people you see who are awesome all started where you are now, it's all relative. On the other hand it's good that your persistant in questioning your own ability. I myself always get paranoid that i'm perhaps studying something wrong, or researching the wrong things, but even if you are, that constant reminder in your head will make you adapt and force you to persevere. So long as you don't give up and keep pushing, even through all the heart ache you'll feel on the way you won't go wrong.

Your studies are coming along nicely. My recommendations would be to push your fundermentals. Especially your form and linework with anatomy. I always favour Loomis and Hampton for that but i guess you can't go far wrong studying all of them :p

hope this helps dude, and keep pushing my friend, i look forward to seeing your future work and progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, again with the less that plentiful artwork. To be fair it was my 18th today so yano. Still managed to get in before the 48 hour mark though hehe.

Just random junk really, not going to have much time to draw over the next few days at all as well. Quite frustrating.

warburton - Hey man! Thanks for such a long reply! Your advice is very sound, and thank you for your compliments and critique! I will work on the areas you suggested, need to get back in the saddle with Loomis I think... Fantastic recourse. Thank you again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, no energy to post much in terms of text today. New level exhausted. Long day yesterday, long day today. Yesterday was the first day I haven't drawn in a long long time, I was just out all day with friends and then utterly exhausted when I got back, so here's today's work and today's work only. Was out all day in Costa drawing people. Went to see art teacher man thing afterwards, talked and stuff and yeah I'm too tired to write this now, good night guys. Much love.

PS: Wont be posting for about a week sadly, going to girlfriend's house. No scanner/time whilst there, hopefully I'll come back with a little work to show though.

-Collapses in bed forever-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaaaaaand I'm back. *Waves to clearly elated CA community, roaring with glee at my glorious return*

Over a week with no drawing in it, my god. Excuse = been at my girlfriend's. I continuously underestimate how hard it is to get stuff done there since we don't get to see each other for months most of the time so we just end up spending all our time together when we meet. So I ended up doing virtually no art, which is, of course, so shit of me. My bad.

So, because of my lack of initiative, or whatever, this is only today's work, which is my first proper drawing in over a week. Feeling it too, guess I'll have to relearn the stuff that hadn't cemented.

Finished a sketchbook, which gave me an opportunity to move on to an A4 size, waaaaay way nicer to work with. So much more space and freedom. When I work with an A5 every day for months on end I forget how constraining it is, and how you fence in your creativity according to those boundaries. Nice to stretch out a bit.

So yeah, this is basically just a bunch of stuff which boils down to me trying to learn to hold a pencil again, the portrait of the girl is me getting distracted and wanting to do imagined stuff and messing it up. Rest are just piss poor figure drawings. As I'm sure you can see.

Back on the saddle, gois. Thanks for checking out my stuff, any replies are very appreciated x

-Cringes at poor quality of post-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, sorry I've not been posting at all lately. This site has really been throwing a fit recently and didn't allow me to upload anything for a good week, causing me to build up a fair amount of work and now I'm procrastinating the process of scanning/cropping/resizing/sluggishly uploading it all.

I send out an SOS right now. I am currently trying my absolute hardest to paint, but it seems the task of learning to use colour effectively and efficiently is utterly destroying me right now. Every time I work up the courage to try and use colour I get knocked back, feel useless, and utterly handicapped with it. I spend years slaving over a pad and it just feels like it counts for nothing because whenever I try and wield a brush (tool) and I produce the most 2 dimensional, utterly contrast free, useless meshes of marshmallow skin tone imaginable, and I'm left utterly and completely baffled as to how people can throw down colours in blocks and strips and make something look so 3 dimensional, deep and accurate.

So yeah, I am pleading to you guys to share your wisdom and encouragement, your links, your helpful advice, anything you can to contribute to me overcoming this block I have. Tell me I'll get better if I keep working, help me objectify it, not about talent about time etc.. It sounds a bit pathetic, but jesus christ this shit keeps coming back to wear me down. I desperately want to feel I can use colour, for the sense of being able to consistently take a piece beyond the realm of tone would be incredibly rewarding for me.

Behold, my horrendous creations. Feel free to tear them apart. I suppose they are WOPs but the problem is that I don't know how to improve them.

*Previews post* Dear god they look awful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you're still working away man. I don't know if I can offer much advice on colour, since about the only thing I've studied on it is looking at a colour wheel to see the relationships between them, but I've picked up on some things from observation so I suppose I can try

The best way to learn is to paint from life. Look at how light affects the colour of things; when you think about it, you never see an objects single intrinsic colour, it depends on whatever colour light is shining on it. There's a light blue poster in my room, but it's only light blue because it's a sunny day outside and I'm getting reflected light from a clear blue sky shining in my room, giving almost everything in my room a very faint blue hue to it. At night, that poster would be a very dark blue-black, if I shine a red light on it, it might be a sort of purple-ish colour. Just think of the colours of objects the same way as the colour of blobs of paint on a palette, except instead of mixing pigments together, you're mixing the colour of an object with the colour of the lighting. Also, a good rule of thumb is that if your lights are warm and saturated, then your darks are cool and desaturated, and vice versa. I can see yellow houses outside my window, and the sides that the sun is hitting are a really vibrant white-yellow that hurts to look at because it's so bright and vivid, but the sides of the houses that the sun doesn't hit directly are a more desaturated mustard-y yellow, and then the shadows are a really desaturated dull brownish type of colour (with the faintest hint of blue because of reflections from the sky.) Oh, and keep in mind what kind of surface you're dealing with, some materials reflect light better than others, which affects the vibrance of whatever light they're reflecting.

I think the part where it can get most difficult is matching colours to their right values. But again just think of it like mixing pigments - the darker the value of the colour, the more dark pigment you're mixing with it, (or in reality, the more light you're taking out of it) so the cooler, darker, and less saturated it gets. If you struggle with this you can just do a value painting in photoshop, then use an overlay or colour layer to paint on top of your value layer, that way your values are already taken care of.

Also just have fun with it. Colouring is probably my favourite stage of painting, because it gives you a lot of room for experimentation. Have a colour wheel beside you if it helps, and just roll with it and see what works and what doesn't. I hope that helps?

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Vezarez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right guys, here is my dump. Everything I've done since the site went funky for me. Not an ideal upload process but I'm glad to get this weight off my shoulders, now hopefully daily uploads can resume once more. Pardon the gap of around a week as you may note in the dates, that was my 18th birthday party, after which I immediately fell ill with a cold, so work kind of came to a halt around that time. But yeah, I would ideally explain everything that this post encompasses but it would take far too long and no one would be interested. Some life class drawings are thrown in there, and I'm experimenting with ways of conveying tone. Also a couple of paintings I did last night, the one with the paler background was an earlier version, I far prefer it actually.

Vezarez - Hey man! thanks for dropping by and thank you such a lot for such an extended reply! Means a great deal Aye, colour is pretty fascinating like that! I sort of figured that it's that first hurdle of blocking in the colours that wrecks me, if I can break down that wall I'm off and can produce *something* at least. It's just nice to feel like you're getting somewhere, for example I tried a painting today, and spent a solid 2 hours trying to break down that first wall, and I just couldn't dissect the basics of the tones and hues I was looking at to block it in so I could get building, and I just didn't feel like I was moving at all... It was pretty excruciating :L Decided I'm going to devote much more time to painting, I'll try and do it every day I think. Thank you very much for so much info again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Travail intéressant

Salut, je suis de passage dans ton sketchbooks, je le trouve intéressant, merci pour ces démonstrations traditionnelles du croquis.
    Bonne continuation.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to MwM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, the site is actually back up, and so am I, if a little delayed. Here's my dump, most of these are dated but the chronology of it appears to have gotten a bit messed :L Really really really need to up my workload, I just don't feel like I've been doing enough at all, I've had to put my time into other things and it's becoming less and less cool for me to do so. Started working in pen a fair bit, and did a week of pretty solid painting, then the other work kicked in, so I haven't done as much lately.

Any advice, guidance, goals, all that are all lovely to receive

MwM - Merci! il me plait tellement de recevoir les remarques d'autres pays! (Heureusement, ma petite amie parle la français :L)

Members who have read this thread: 6