Thanks

Asperger Syndrome Living with ASD, a 2 Part Diary!

Hi, all,

Topic Deleted, put in the wrong forum! ooop's sorry for that!!
    Last edited by ianharding; March 16th, 2013 at 10:26 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Topic Deleted!
    Last edited by ianharding; March 16th, 2013 at 10:25 AM.

Thanks
    Well, I would start off by asking why you post this here on CA. The Wrongplanet forums would be more suitable to get feedback on the content- however, as I hope you know, Aspergers is highly individual and not everyone will subscribe to your views. I hope the following doesn't sound too harsh, and as a fellow HFA I sympathize deeply with your wish to communicate about it.

As for watching the video, I found it not very appealing. First of all, the sound quality is not very good, but most importantly you (I assume) speak too quietly, hesitantly- as a deaf person I cannot understand large parts of the video. Videos are hard to make, you should write a script and train it multiple times before recording. Also, record multiple version of sections that you didn't feel were good and cut them accordingly.

Most of the video consists of "uhmmss" and thinking of what to say, not actual information. A script helps tremendously, and there are many great tutorials out on the web that give tips on how to structure your video to make it interesting. For example, you could start off by explaining the big 73 on the wardrobe, giving a more interesting introduction. I looked at the 73 for the most part of the video, not at you- it really captures a lot of attention.

Another point is your video title. You say it is a diary of living with ASD, but that is not really communicated. It is a very general lecture on your life, past experiences, mixed with own beliefs ("what does 'normal' mean", "I guess it doesn't really exist"). While you might find your points interesting and valid, the person watching has to be convinced of that. You start off by saying you're going to talk about "your life experience" as an Aspie (which is contrary to the title). Well, why? What am I going to get out of this? You assume that I have inherent interest in you, but I don't know you so I need a reason to watch. You could for example narrow down your topic, trying to explain specific aspects of the disorder. Many people have misconceptions about ASD, maybe you read up on them and respond directly, using your life experience as a case.

One last thing that I would like to say as a researcher and frustrated reader of many ASD books, do not infer from your life to others. Make clear that it is YOUR life, YOUR experience, YOUR feelings and thoughts. It is you, and be authentic. One reason why people are misinformed about the spectrum is because the people who have it, tend to interpret everything in their life as being down to the diagnosis- ignoring the fact that the actual prerequisites for a diagnosis are fairly limited and down to communication problems- there is no statistical significance of things like IQ, grades, jobs, children, marriage, friends, self-harm, preferred topics, hobbies etc etc. and I think it is very important to keep in mind that the links that one might draw between the diagnosis and life experiences, is individual.

Anyway, no hard feelings intended, I wish you all the best and hopefully more replies

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hi, LordLouis

Thank you for your reply, yes i had put the topic in the wrong area etc!, its now been removed!

I was just sharing my experiences of living with ASD!, and hope it will be helpful others/awareness!, as i've already had good feedback
    ecerybody's different!, in the 2 video's i talk yes about how i greww up and how aspergers effected me, and giving examples!

I will argue!, Many ASD suffere's have a lot of intelligence, or are clever, if i didn't have ASD i wouldn't be Creative/talented at what i do, so i thank my condition for that!
    other's are really arty, creative too!! People without ASD, can be clever and talented too!, as i understand!

I guess, to watch a video, you have to have some attraction or interest, or just wonder what it's all about!

The video's i say would benefit, other's with ASD, or teachers/college/doctors? or someone who knows someone with the condition and wants to know a bit about it!!
    Last edited by ianharding; March 16th, 2013 at 10:48 AM.