Exercise in Lighting

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exercise in Lighting

So I finished this a few months ago (I haven't had time for personal work since, I'm been bogged down with other work and studies)

I based it off an even older sketch, and the first thing I wanted to do was create a fantasy character fishing by magical means, but when I found time to work on it properly I decided to make it more of an a personal lighting exercise. How did I do? I'm planning another night scene with a similar concept, and (I'm doing some studies in water ripples too, I'm cringing looking at them now), but I think I tried to pull off too much in this

Edit: Please rip me to shreds, I can take it! I have very few people in my life to look to for criticism

Piscesweb.jpg

Last edited by Widdershins; March 15th, 2013 at 08:40 AM.
    I have an art/sketch blog on the dreaded Facebook
    Twitter
    Sketchbook
    Process video for my largest piece on Vimeo / Youtube
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,
    Very quiet in here : )

Right, it's a very cool scene and idea for an image. The jelly fish / glowing creatures are rendered well. I think they could throw even more light onto the female figure, and maybe be different colours, this would help show her form even more. Cyan / blues from one direction , the warm yellow s from another ? The structure of the woman will read much better. Some rim light, maybe from creatures behind her would also break her form up in a nice way.

The back ground is very dark, I understand this is to push the glowing animals, but there is space in the values in that dark range for a slightly lighter, more subtle back ground ( or maybe it's just my monitor : ) ). Also, if we are underwater, you could show more ill-defined stuff suspended in the water, there is a hint of this in bottom right? More of this would sell the underwater-ness of the picture.

Yea, post any changes you make, it would be cool to see.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to maths82 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hopefully I'm doing this paint over thing right! Everything is with a grain of salt as I'm learning too!
    I love the concept. The jellyfish look amazing. Very effective. The light on the bottom of the arm closest to the viewer is very nice and I love the patterns on the body.

Here are my suggestions for improvement and quickly painted over below
    paintover.jpg
    * Lay some translucent color over parts of the body that are in the light with a deep or bright orange skin tone.. Bring out that skin tone a little more to make it pop against the cooler shades.

*Bring out that light around the face with both the orange from the fish and green from the jelly fish to give a little more drama. Strong contrast, warm and cool colors in the skin. It seems like the face/upper torso are the focal point, so really light that area over others.

* follow the path of the jellyfish to the body. It seems the one by her head to the left should be highlighting more of her hair green, the one by her thigh reflecting off the fish on her belt and lighting more of the leg

* reduce the back lighting on the leg closest to the viewer, it helps define it from the bg, but doesn't seem to come from anywhere.

I like the suggestions above as well. especially the different colored light sources.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chewiemonster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That water would be reflecting everything going on in that scene. The water should be mirror like considering its night time and how bright all of the creatures are.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to J.R.Hollis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the late reply! Been having a little trouble accessing the site at times. I actually hadn't considered rim lighting at all, it would have been an excellent idea. As it is the jellyfish kind of hang in one dimension of the picture, and look a bit flat. You're totally right about the BG, the contrast was intended to bring out the jellyfish, but looking back the contrast between the midground and the background is too high, it brings everything back there more forward than I intended it to be.

Also it wasn't supposed to be underwater, just shallow water, the light particles were there to try and define the surface of the water a little.

I won't be tackling this particular image again, but I'll be doing something very similar soon Thanks for the feedback!

Twitter
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT: OMG I've tried replying to everyone and when I refreshed the page it posted my old reply twice and lost my edited one, this is getting really annoying!

@math82 I actually hadn't considered rim lighting at all, it would have been an excellent idea. As it is the jellyfish kind of hang in one dimension of the picture, and look a bit flat. You're totally right about the BG, the contrast was intended to bring out the jellyfish, but looking back the contrast between the midground and the background is too high, it brings everything back there more forward than I intended it to be.

Also it wasn't supposed to be underwater, just shallow water, the light particles were there to try and define the surface of the water a little.

@Chewiemoster I can't believe you went through the trouble of repainting it! It looks soo much better, even if it's a rough paintover. There was so much more I could have done with this and it wasn't at all obvious to me at the time. (Although the highlights you mentioned on the hair/body really should have been)

@J.R. Hollis I know, it was mostly my inability to paint it properly, I'll be doing more studies on water for the next one!

@Sean McClain I had overlaid a fibonnacci spiral to get a rough idea of the placement for the jellyfish, but it would have looked a lot better if the foreground one was partly outside the frame of the image.

As I said in my original post, I won't be tackling this particular image again, but I'll trying out something very similar, and all the feed back and criticism has really helped pinpoint where I really went wrong. It looks obvious to me now but I'm sure you're all familiar with needing fresh eyes to show you where!

Again, thanks so much!

Last edited by Widdershins; March 21st, 2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Twitter
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McClain View Post
    I didn't say that right...I mean that you have 2 points in the image where the Jellyfish is "touching" rather than overlapping the girl. That's what I meant by tangents. Yeah I was thinking after I typed that ...hmmm I think those where jellyfish 0.o ...oh well lol.
    Haha, oops, I see what you mean now! Thanks, that's something I didn't notice!

Twitter
    Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.