What is the importante of still life?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I heard that the best way to learn how to paint is to do a lot of still life paintings first in "black and white" and then color them.

Is this true?

I am just asking because I want to know if I am in the right path and I don't want to waste my time in something that isn't relevant or something that I am not prepared for ( I once tried to draw the human body from Loomis I wasn't even aware of what "perspective" was lol)

Proof I am in fact practicing and not wasting your time:

P.d Wow seeing tone and copying it is super hard :/

Last edited by FallenLegend; March 15th, 2013 at 12:37 AM.
    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

"There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's more important than you'll ever truly know. Using techniques such as sighting and empirical perspective will enable you to accurately see the forms of the objects that you're drawing/painting. Really, you should step away from using the pen tablet/mouse and software such as Photoshop. Invest in some charcoal/pencils and draw a few still-lives, then work your way into wet mediums (or wet to dry, if that is your preference). If you have any difficulties with how to get started, just do a bit of research and, above all else, draw. Don't assume, just draw what you see and really analyze what your seeing. If you learn the basic fundamentals, it'll be easier to make that conversion to digital.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,634 Times in 3,788 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Echoing Exhno. Still lives teaches you about form. If you have to put it on the computer at least use a real apple. I spent a couple of months basing the cooking on interesting veg to draw that were eaten later.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OP,you shouldn't worry too much about getting the right shading and highlights right now.Your biggest concern now should be getting the form of the apple and leaf right.Rendering weak or nonexitant form is pointless.Apples aren't perfectly spherical,infact you draw a flat circle rather than a 3D form.
    Get a paper and pencil and practice drawing shapes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,497 Times in 746 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The main advantage is that it doesn't move, unlike live models. You can set it up and come back to it. And not only are you studying form, you're working out color and texture and lighting and all sorts of things.

When you draw an apple, you're not only learning how to draw an apple, you're also learning how to draw things that are shiny, things that are smooth, things that are red. What you're doing is feeding information into your toolkit. So when you go to draw something from imagination, you'll have the skills you need to make it convincing. The greatest artists in the world at the height of their powers would set up and draw drapery studies for hours before tackling drapery on the human form, because cloth on a chair isn't going to move.

Draw from a real apple, though. You'll learn lots more and quicker.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hola, Mandame un PM yo te puedo alludar con tus still life's.

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mhm I think you're wasting time rendering right now. Learn form first, as in the planes of the apple, or any object. That can be done with just line. Learn to be able to visualize the object if it were broken down into geometric shapes. google 'planar head' to get an idea of what this means.

Once you can do that, try to understand how light works. Then you can approach a still life or anything else with a better understanding of what your doing, this opposed to attempting to copy values.

I don't see a problem with doing it digitally but you probably can't carry your laptop around everywhere you go. Draw in a sketchbook more, build drawing mileage

Edit: for clarity, I mean painting/drawing digitally. working from life is better than copying 2d images. master copies are helpful though, but once you know what you'r doing to some degree

Last edited by M.A.C.; March 16th, 2013 at 08:15 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to M.A.C. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Eventually, It's some good tips for beginners that they should start painting with drawing some still lives things. So, I believe that practicing daily life's normal things is really amazing which helps you to improve your painting skills as well or some creativity.

wall scrolls posters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, for starters, drawing a still life or anything for that matter from the screen is very different from drawing from what you have in actual space. Put an actual apple someplace.

But I'd split the things you learn doing still lives into broadly two categories. One, being more related to precisely what it is you draw, you learn qualities of things, how to represent them eg. shine, wrinkles, reflections, bumps and lumps and whatnot. The other being how to translate something in a 3D environment down on to a 2D surface so that it looks true, isn't askew, distored looking etc. Later on you can also apply that skill the other way round when creating an image in which you propose is real, functioning space.

Members who have read this thread: 6