game controllers for key commands

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following

I'm thinking about getting a game controller for my Windows 8 tablet for key commands. I just wanna know if anybody has tried this and if it works.

This is the one I'm looking at.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know about the game controllers, but I know that These Razer Nostromo Gaming Keypad's work like a charm.
    Matt Kohr, for example, mentioned this in one of his videos.

With your shown gamepad you're going to have the same problems as I had with my Ps3 controller.
    It's damn unergonomic and your hand starts hurting after a while because these things are made to be held by two hands.

I couldn't help you directly, but atleast I could drop my own experience so far, haha.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was more curious about mapping the functions. I guess you can judging by the fact you use a ps3 controller. The controller I posted is tiny.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...I've never seen that controller before....doesn't look like it would be that comfy to use, although I do like the small size.

However...I also have to admit....the Razer Nostromo is a godsend.

I use Photoshop CS5 on the Samsung Series 7 Slate Tablet PC....I managed for a while without the Nostromo...but once I got it...I just can't use the tablet anymore without it, its just that useful.

Its also designed for one hand use and it's very comfy to use. Sometimes the long wire is annoying...but thats a very very minor complaint.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I guess you can judging by the fact you use a ps3 controller.
    I wouldn't guarantee that. To get the Ps3 controller working with the PC, you need to download very unique driver that people coded just for the ps3 controller. It has a lot features like mapping keyboard buttons to it. So I don't know if you can do anything like this within the normal windows interface of a gamepad.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To be honest I don't have the extra money for the Nostromo. I also wanted something that I could take with me on the go. So I could draw at the zoo or the beach.

I drew a diagram so you understand what kind of grip I have available.
    Name:  diagram.jpg
Views: 407
Size:  24.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, sweet diagram but I don't get exactly what you want to show with it.

If you don't have the extra money, then perhaps try to ask in a random computer geek forum if you can map game controller buttons to keyboard buttons.

I personally don't have a clue about that, but if it's possible then going with the device you showed above shall be good too.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember someone using a bluetooth keyboard he attached to his hand. It was on an ep121 video if I remember and the guy was using it for the shortcuts in softwares and probably to tape some text too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E1G9p4B9lY

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been hunting around for a few days for one myself.

I plan on getting an x230T for digital painting.

Anyway, I think this would be okay. It looks a bit tacky, however that's not really the point.
    Just needs the wire cut down and then you can plug it in like a standard USB.

The buttons can be programmed to whatever you like.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-USB-...-/320951390341

Best part is that it's powered by the USB port and won't need batteries or external power.

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just asking, but is Artdock not enough for what you plan ?
    I'm not sure it can handle all key commands for windows but it work great in art application (it need a touchscreen of course but most tablet have one) and can help not having an external device to pick each time you plan to go outside.

http://konartist3d.deviantart.com/art/ArtDock-283342420

* My current blog

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffonnage View Post
    Just asking, but is Artdock not enough for what you plan ?
    I'm not sure it can handle all key commands for windows but it work great in art application (it need a touchscreen of course but most tablet have one) and can help not having an external device to pick each time you plan to go outside.

http://konartist3d.deviantart.com/art/ArtDock-283342420
    Just out of interest, I've seen Artdock around for a while.
    It's only compatible with the S7S and EP121?

Any idea if it could work with an x230T?

www.travismillar.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a very good question, it work basically with the new ativ pro from samsung. It work with surface pro too... But from what I read on the internet, it looks like the lenovo drivers aren't made the same way that the ep121 and samsung slates so artdock is not supposed to work with them.

Now, maybe a test can worth it. I have no idea if it's difficult to change it to make it work with the lenovo but that would be great !

* My current blog

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's a very good question, it work basically with the new ativ pro from samsung. It work with surface pro too... But from what I read on the internet, it looks like the lenovo drivers aren't made the same way that the ep121 and samsung slates so artdock is not supposed to work with them.

Now, maybe a test can worth it. I have no idea if it's difficult to change it to make it work with the lenovo but that would be great !
    Well I might go ahead and see if I can alter some drivers for it to work on the x230t. Otherwise I'll get the controller which I posted earlier.

Also, just to highjack for a quick one, what are your thoughts on the x230t, Griiffonage? Really just comparison on the screen and i5/i7 CPU. If you know anything about it. I've found a used one pretty cheap on gumtree.

This piece was done on the x230t: http://sourgasm.deviantart.com/art/Y...ulpt-357807780

Raoul, is there a latch or clip or something to hold the controller open or is it loose and folds up in your hand kinda thing?
    I did a bit of googling to no avail.

RAOUL CHECK THIS OUT!
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep12...ist-setup.html

Last edited by -Tragedy-; March 18th, 2013 at 10:37 PM.
    www.travismillar.com

22. The Following User Says Thank You to -Tragedy- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never got the chance to use a lenovo, they are super rare here and I sadly don't have any friends around that possess one.
    But honestly, I think looking at the technical characteristic it's a good machine that will provice good service for years and more important you can do serious piece of work on it. The brand have a good reputation, they do sturdy material, honestly it's a very good pick
    About the difference between the core, well, the i7 is better, but I think the i5 is enough to do serious works. If you find one cheap in a good condition with an i5 core, go go go !
    The only point I would say : check the level of ram, 8 go is in my opinion the minimum if you want to do serious works and keep it for years. 4 Go is the actual minimum and it's short for serious task like rendering for exemple.

* My current blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I never got the chance to use a lenovo, they are super rare here and I sadly don't have any friends around that possess one.
    But honestly, I think looking at the technical characteristic it's a good machine that will provice good service for years and more important you can do serious piece of work on it. The brand have a good reputation, they do sturdy material, honestly it's a very good pick
    About the difference between the core, well, the i7 is better, but I think the i5 is enough to do serious works. If you find one cheap in a good condition with an i5 core, go go go !
    The only point I would say : check the level of ram, 8 go is in my opinion the minimum if you want to do serious works and keep it for years. 4 Go is the actual minimum and it's short for serious task like rendering for exemple.
    Thanks, Griffonnage.

This is the baby I'm after: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/hurst...old/1014452330

I emailed the poster and he has send me a heap of pics. Good condition, photo's of it working with my name also written on the screen to confirm.
    I emailed him last night, so hopefully he hasn't sold it.

Once I receive it (fingers crossed) and get it up and running to my wants/needs (controller for buttons/ArtDock, SSD, Screen protector,backlit keyboard) I'll make sure to do a thorough review here on the forums.

And yes, it has 8GB RAM! Really wouldn't mind 12 or 16GB though.

www.travismillar.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice one, if the guy is serious that's good !
    For the price it's a good deal, I'm still surprised he cut the price so much for a device bought one month ago. Did he bought it new ?

edit : oh well I forgot everytime taxes and prices may vary depending on what country you are from ^^ I do not know how many this one would cost brand new in yours, so maybe the cut isn't that big. Still for this price, if you can get a paper that can help you to use the manufacturer warranty, that's interesting !

Last edited by Griffonnage; March 19th, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
    * My current blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a used refurb. But it's in great condtion.

Apparently he couldn't figure out how to upgrade to an SSD and that he now wants one with a finger scanner.

A brand new x230t in Australia would cost about $1700 - 2000 depending on where you get it from and the specs.
    IMO, this is one hell of a bargain!

It has 6 months (until August 2013) warranty. This is only the refurb-reseller limited warranty from which he originally bought it from. However it doesn't have a manufacturer warranty. it might be something that Lenovo could provide me with too. Who knows.

Alright, I reckon we best stop hijacking this thread. Keep it on topic for those interested in the gamepad. Sorry/thanks Raoul.
    I'll most likely be getting a controller similar to what you posted at the beginning, Raoul along with the one I found on eBay.
    Be sure to go checkout the link I posted earlier.

But yeah, thanks, Griff.
    I think it'll be awesome. Something that I can draw on my daily commute; sketchbook/pencil does work fine, but a digital sketchbook will be awesome!

www.travismillar.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow this thread is still up and going.
    Thanks to who ever posted the artdock link. I'm still confused about the installation process but I'll figure it out. Last time I hunted for it a link took me to megaupload and I downloaded a giant empty file. Probably a trojan.

I think walking ghost posted a remote without a brand. Watch out I got a mini keyboard without a brand name and no way to install the driver software. So there was no website to provide a driver download. Moral of the story is find out where you can download the driver before you buy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'll watch out for that.

What tablet are you using, Raoul?

www.travismillar.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using a samsung ATIV 500t.

I'm having trouble with installing the artdock. I keep on trying to install software to install software and none of it can be installed. I feel Like I'm trapped in a house of mirrors. When I read the instructions I could cry with shame. I has no idea what I is doing.

This is the list of stuff I've downloaded to support artdock
    raw input
    auto hotkey L 32
    auto hotkey l 64

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm using artdock on the ativ 700T, I installed artdock last week so it should be basically the same.

Let's check, did you downloaded and installed Autohotkey before ? It's an .exe installer, no need to find a Raw file, that should run by itself when you launch it. http://www.autohotkey.com/ ==> AutoHotkey_L_Install.exe

Next, don't try to download the originals files he posted in the comment (I did that and ended stupidly trying to make them work, the ones leading to a japanese website ^^) the good artdock tools are on the download files from the deviation (look at the right of the page). It should be a 2.3 Mo rar file called "artdock_by_konartist3d-d4op0es".

If you installed Autohotkey, you just have to unzip the .rar, let the folder somewhere you can access it easily and double clic on ArtDock.ahk

Let me know if it's okay !

* My current blog

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks. Now it's working. I got the other AHK download from the wrong part of the site. Must have been a patch or something. Now all I have to do is configure the artdock because none of the buttons work just yet. I also have to get used to drawing with the artdock.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It may need a reboot for the first time ^^ There is a guy that did some change for photoshop, but I didn't tried it yet.
    Also, make sure not to upgrade the touchscreen drivers from your slate for now, that can cause some issue. If not, I think there is a post here on tabletpc where they discuss about how to solve issue with win8, if you still have an issue : http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sams...-slate-13.html

* My current blog

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay...

So, my x230T arrived. Love it! I'll get around to doing a detailed review/video soon, first need to finish upgrading the RAM/SSD and install all the software; and also need to get used to drawing on a screen with the lower pressure levels.

I got it for a portable Photoshop/ZBrush sketchbook.

So, the link I provided above (http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/ep12...ist-setup.html) made me bite the bullet and buy this http://www.amazon.com/Folding-Comput.../dp/B004YC4NN0 to use as a shortcut pad when in tablet mode for Photoshop/ZBrush.
    I used Xpadder (http://www.xpadder.com/) to customise the buttons for whatever program I need. PS, ZBrush, Painter ect... You can save multiple profiles.

ArtDock doesn't work on the x230T, I'll try and alter the code to get it to work, however I think I'm pretty happy with physical buttons here.

Anyway, it works!!!

www.travismillar.com

36. The Following User Says Thank You to -Tragedy- For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1