Master Artist.

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Master Artist.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Master Artist.

I'm looking to learn digital painting like the guy below. He's some kind of Master artist for Painter, I think. He doesnt respond to comments, but does any one else have any commentary? He always starts with a dark canvas and the brings forward highlights and colors very gradually. His work makes me sad because I can't see myself ever being able to do it!! Anyway he has tons of vids showing his work progress.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxef-LQzqhU

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is it that youre asking? Do you want to know who he is? Apparently his name is Liang Yue. Thats really irrelevant though, you just need to get good at drawing/painting. Talking to him or anything like that is really not going to help you.

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didnt think i was indicating that talking to him was going to help me. I said: I'd like to learn digital painting like him. and: does anyone else have any commentary? meaning on his work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didnt think i was indicating that talking to him was going to help me. I said: I'd like to learn digital painting like him. and: does anyone else have any commentary? meaning on his work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh sorry, well you said "he doesnt respond to comments", so I assumed you were wanting to get advice from him. Commentary? Well there isn't much to say. He is obviously a very skilled painter who has more than likely been at it for many, many years.

Learning digital painting is just learning painting, and learning painting is first learning drawing. So simply put, learn to draw. There is nothing special about digital painting that does show itself in traditional painting (well there are things, but nothing very important.) I have no idea where your skills are, but most likely the advice is going to be get better at drawing no matter where you are. Put it this way: if you are bad at drawing, get good first and then ask this again. If you are a really great draftsmen, then pick up a paintbrush (or a stylus) and begin learning to paint. It is really a waste to wonder how to paint like a specific person if you dont already have the basic necessary skills. If you cannot currently paint a piece of fruit in front of you, then you are unlikely to be able to paint something like he has done. A face is a complex artistic problem. Good luck!

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your expert opinion. It's nice to get advice from various people...and sometimes, like I asked for above, just commentary on an artist's work;because generally I like using this forum to simply discuss, and share likes and dislikes about various forms of art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sriblanc View Post
    Thanks for your expert opinion. It's nice to get advice from various people...and sometimes, like I asked for above, just commentary on an artist's work;because generally I like using this forum to simply discuss, and share likes and dislikes about various forms of art.

EXPERT?! Oh no, not even close. I just asked more questions over the years than I probably should have

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What you do is drawdrawdrawdrawdrawdrawdrawlearnlearndrawdrawlear ndrawpaintpaintdrawlearn.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ConnyNordlund For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your potential is unlimited, as long as you don't stop putting in the effort to improve, do better, or innovate. Without that effort, you limit yourself because you're telling yourself subconsciously "oh I'm okay with staying at this level."

SLAM OR BE JAMMED
    Sketchbook
    My Rival!!
    Tumblr artblog I'm part of

Draw, Antonio; draw, Antonio; draw and don’t waste time.” -Michelangelo

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Provenzano For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm ur asking our opinion on the painting? In which case, its a nice rendering and technique, has a final fantasy feel for me. I find the composition a tad bit stiff and awkwardly cropped though.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to M.A.C. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aww..well it does not show at all, trust me, LOL

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, one or two things I feel need to be pointed out.

First is that I watched the youtube video - you DO understand the 12 or so minutes it took him to create that digital work is sped up right? He didn't make that work in 12 minutes. It's merely a 12 minute long video.

Second - The first thing he did in the painting process was remove all the white from that canvas.

Third - I seriously doubt he just started painting this. If he DID just go right into working on the artwork, he's made a TON of artwork before - so he knows what he wants the end product to look like, and he knows how to start. Chances are he's also looked at thousands of reference photo's, and has made even more sketches.

There's a lot going on.

Also, I agree about the cropping - I'm not happy with the final composition - but at the same time it stokes the imagination and makes me want to look at the rest of his work.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wasn't really debating how fast he painted or drew anything...I just think his work is cool. The process he uses to get to the end product is fascinating. I enjoy watching it. And yes, he did a full real-time painting in one of his vids that was pretty cool too. Maybe you can share some of the art work that you admire......

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.