Art: cerverus

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: cerverus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

cerverus

hi there,
    these are some photos of my sculpt in progress.. i tried to take the photos as i could better so you can see the fur.. its not finished yet, your opinion matters..

Attached Images Attached Images                                  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice texture!
    I really like it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks man!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overall looking good- the fur is excellent- but there are a few anatomical issues. First, the musculature of the front legs is awkward; there is a big mass of muscle on the upper limb but it seems to be distributed too much in front of the humerus, and ends too abruptly above the elbow.

The heads also need some work. The eyes are too forward-looking for a long-faced canine; wolves and wolf-like dogs have eyes that face somewhat to the sides- not as much as a deer or horse, but more than a human. That's fine if it's a design decision, but it feels a little cartoony to me.

More seriously, the jaws are jointed in the wrong place. The jaws of a dog are jointed at the back of the skull, allowing a wider gape, while Cerverus' jaws appear to be jointed just behind the mouth opening, only halfway to the back of the skull.

I hope this is helpful! Your sculpture shows real promise, you just need to fine-tune the anatomy a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot! you really helped me! nowadays i am gonna complete the fur and the collars.. after i am gonna fix these anatomy problems.. i will send new pictures when i start so yo can see..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just one word for this ............... Awesome.
    Really man you did an outstanding work , i must say that it is the real art. Hat off to you man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks man! soon i am going to upload new photos with some anatomy corrections according to Notophthalmus and the collars..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update

here is some update.. i've made some corrections to the eyes and the jaws of the two of three heads and added collars.. have more work to do but thats an update..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

finished..

finally finished and baked.. any crits please..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by seawave View Post
    after i am gonna fix these anatomy problems
    Quote Originally Posted by seawave View Post
    soon i am going to upload new photos with some anatomy corrections according to Notophthalmus
    No, sorry, but I don't think you did. In my view, the shoulders are still too upright; set too far forward (seemingly descending from the base of the neck[s]); and oddly detached from the trunk. The trunk itself seemed stretched out but I'm not sure if that's because of the offset shoulders or if that's it's own problem. The necks look over-long and thicker in the middle than at the base, although I can appreciate the problem of jamming three of them together on a single torso.

I know you're using anatomy reference (Ellenberger?) but it seems like your interpretation is a little skewed. I think you could've supplemented it (a lot) with life studies or photo references. Google images is useful, at a pinch.

The head and face... Starting with the teeth: they, and therefore the jaws, still converge halfway along the head at the most - I don't think the added flappy jowl skin helps much.
    The eyes are not doglike, as valiant as the resolve to reposition them is.
    The ears seem like thin, almost cardboard flaps propped up on the back of the skull and pointed forwards.
    The gums are exposed - all the way back to the convergence in the middle and left heads - but there's only a slight lift of the edge of the lip all around, as if blown up by a strong wind. Don't forget that a few more facial muscles go into a canid snarl. (Drawing the lip back rather than flaring it out) Take notice of how the levator nasalis pulls up and 'scrunches' the skin over and along the snout.
    Lastly, the noses... well, take a look at the last photo I linked. The noses in the sculpture are very blunt and rounded.

All that said, I'm fairly impressed with the hair texture. Can't have been a quick job with that. Overall I can see that you've put a lot of time and work into the sculpture, but next time ( ) I think take a little of those and put them into more prep and study.

...which is only my opinion.
    Sketchbook Deviations

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.