Shadows of the colossus
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Shadows of the colossus

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Shadows of the colossus

I'm currently working on a game art environnement project. I find it on the soft side. What do you think? Any advice or paintover would be appreciated.
    Name:  Shadow of colossus.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  153.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Id consider dropping a perspective grid on that bridge thing, cause atm they dont seem to converge to the horizon instead they all look like they have the same angle which i assume is from a copy and paste job which is fine aslong as you correct the small perspective issues. The other issue is within that V shaped design, the foreground bit looks like its just a single pillar wide whereas you get inot the distance the overlap of that V creates the illusion thats its a lot more 3D....if you get me? Not sure how to explain it in words but basically keep it coherent.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Vernon Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    one of the issues here is that you've chosen to draw a very symmetrical, man made structure that has to look very precise to look correct, and it's against a very bright sky which will showcase all the imperfections as well as chop the composition up far to much. Imagine a much thicker structure with maybe only 2 or 3 arches. It's going to be much more pleasing and easier to do for you. The overall tone of the painting is not strong. everything is sort of midground and the hyper rendered clouds through it off even more. Right now, the area with the most contrast, i.e. where the viewer will look, is the lower right side of the tower where the shadow hits the background light. design, design, design!

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielBodinof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBodinof View Post
    Imagine a much thicker structure with maybe only 2 or 3 arches. It's going to be much more pleasing and easier to do for you.
    Oh, I wish I could, believe me but it's a fanart from a video game and those damn arches are this way: thin, long and curved at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielBodinof View Post
    The overall tone of the painting is not strong. everything is sort of midground and the hyper rendered clouds through it off even more. Right now, the area with the most contrast, i.e. where the viewer will look, is the lower right side of the tower where the shadow hits the background light.
    Could you be more specific please. You mean the overall image is too pale? About the shadow part, it's a cliff that separate the foregound-middle ground from the castle. Not my fault either because it's designed this way in the game but your comment shows it doesn't work. Any idea to improve it?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Lee View Post
    Id consider dropping a perspective grid on that bridge thing, cause atm they dont seem to converge to the horizon instead they all look like they have the same angle which i assume is from a copy and paste job which is fine aslong as you correct the small perspective issues.
    I assume the upper part of the pillars is what you're talking about. Exact! Tanks for spotting it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vernon Lee View Post
    The other issue is within that V shaped design, the foreground bit looks like its just a single pillar wide whereas you get inot the distance the overlap of that V creates the illusion thats its a lot more 3D....if you get me? Not sure how to explain it in words but basically keep it coherent.
    Sorry, english is not my native language and I don't understand your point. Could you rephrase it or make a quick sketch?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, firstly, if it's fan art, I understand the desire to be accurate, but the entire structure doesnt need to be in the scene. In fact, I would say that your overall treatment of the story is the underlying problem. What is the story you want to tell? What do you want the selling point of your piece to be? Is it the structure? The rider? The Castle in the back? It should be one of these things given the existing elements in your composition. Now you need to figure out a way to really showcase one of those elements. As it stands right now, none of them is being illustrated in a captivating way. Partly because of the perspective and camera you're choosing, and partly because of your tones. This comes down to artistic opinion and preference, by i might approach the scene from a much lower camera angle to show case the height and size of the arches and castle. Think ant's eye view. Tone wise, it's difficult to type about without visuals, but you want to create a beautiful rhythm of tones, with pleasing masses of tones. Currently you have seemingly randomly placed lights and darks throughout so the eye doesnt know what to look at. A very simple way to think of it is like this: "you put your darks next to your darks and your lights next to your lights, and where you want you viewer to look, you place your darkest darks next to your lightest lights. Also, you have these really blown out pure white patches in your sky. If you ever use a pure blown out white like that it should only be used sparingly and for certain things. Think of your pure black and white as a secret weapon that you hold off from using as long as possible until you really want to create a strong point of interest in your piece. Hope this helps.

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Vernon Lee For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.