Sketchbook: JLamps Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

JLamps Sketchbook

SKIP TO THE END TO SEE LATEST STUFF

"Hello one and all, I have been a member of this fine establishment for about a month or so and thought it was about time I actually posted a picture!" - Original Post

MY BACKGROUND: I am a self taught Australian Artist with a fascination for all things sci/fi and fantasy. Thanks to my grandmothers influence, being the professional painter that she was, I have been drawing with pens and pencils since before I could walk but it has taken me until this year to actually decided to start painting.

I started by buying a WACOM tablet and laptop, but I felt like, without traditional painting knowledge, i wasn't getting very far, very fast. So I've had to go back and practice painting traditionally. Anyway here i am, traded out the laptop for a new PC, built it myself to save on cash, but instead spend that saved cash on more fancier parts. lol

"Any how, I figured id start sharing my progress from here on out, hope you enjoy and maybe get inspired, if not i hope you at least get a laugh out of it. Thanks for your time and feel free to tell me what you think, i can take it." - Original Post

PS: The very 1st picture is my Sketchbooks Forum Thumbnail, so it is usually one of my latest, greatest or favorite-st pieces.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JLamps; 9 Hours Ago at 02:13 AM. Reason: Changing Sketchbook Thumbnail
    Art is never finished, only abandoned. -Leonardo da Vinci

The worst evil which can befall the artist is that his work should appear good in his own eyes. -Leonardo da Vinci

It is ill to praise, and worse to blame, the thing which you do not understand. -Leonardo da Vinci

Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the presence of fear, yet the will to go on. -Martin Lawrence

Revenge is not a valid motive, it is an emotional response, no, not vengeance, Punishment! -The Punisher
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Just a couple quick speed paintings.

Last edited by JLamps; 1 Week Ago at 04:50 AM.

The worst evil which can befall the artist is that his work should appear good in his own eyes. -Leonardo da Vinci

It is ill to praise, and worse to blame, the thing which you do not understand. -Leonardo da Vinci

Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the presence of fear, yet the will to go on. -Martin Lawrence

Revenge is not a valid motive, it is an emotional response, no, not vengeance, Punishment! -The Punisher

Thanks
    Its been a while since my last post, got some new stuff.

I'm sure you've all heard of space ships, right, seen them even?, perhaps, but have you ever heard of... face ships?

Last edited by JLamps; October 27th, 2013 at 07:40 PM.

Thanks
    Cool ideas so far! I'd suggest some studies to help with various things like anatomy / colour and composition. You have some great ideas now you just need to put in the hard work needed to get them onto canvas / screen as you see them in your head.

Thanks
    I got a laugh out of the face ships

If I could offer some advice, it'd be to push your values further, as at the moment everything looks a bit muddy and flat. Your thumbnails, for example, are just greys and slightly darker greys. Try to do some paintings that go through the whole value range, from dark blacks to bright whites. Also for anatomy studies, I'd recommend reading up on some Bridgman and Loomis. Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Thanks for the feed back, absolutely right on all accounts, this hole "Painting with value" thing is lot different from sketching with pen and paper, there is many more studies in my foreseeable future.
    Lately I feel rusty every time i draw with the wacom, so i figure, draw, draw, draw, and i wont feel so rusty anymore, here's a few more unfinished eye sores to put towards that effort.

View at own risk

Last edited by JLamps; October 27th, 2013 at 07:56 PM.

Thanks
    Another speed painting of a view i had from off a boat on the week end, we were fishing and this was one particular shot i could remember.

Last edited by JLamps; October 30th, 2013 at 06:31 PM.

Thanks
    Just another, quick sketch/anatomy study, i added in basic values, then decided to move on. PS: hope they don't display to big, I didn't re-size these ones like i normally would.

EDIT: I re-sized the images, way to big for my liking.

Last edited by JLamps; October 31st, 2013 at 09:41 AM.

Thanks
    hello again.
    As i am sure you have noticed, if you got this far, that my sketchbook thread doesn't have a thumbnail pic. Well i tried to change the thumbnail a while back now, with no luck, so i just gave up on it, figured i leave it.
    anyway, i noticed yesterday that it is gone entirely, all i have is a blank white square. If anyone knows a simple fix to this, i would appreciate the help.

Thanks

PS: Ill add some new pieces to this post later today.

Thanks
    I've been offline for quite awhile, I am currently in the middle of moving house and wont have regular access to the internet for quite some time.
    Anyway, these are some studies I've been working on in my isolation.

Thanks
    You could call this the 2nd batch, I have a hole lot of pics to dump. They have been building up.

Thanks
    Got around 2 more lots to dump, just need to group them up for presentation before i can post them. Its 2:50am at the moment so i guess it'll have to wait till tomorrow, for now, it is time for bed!

Merry Christmas and a happy new years to everybody, hope you all have a wonderful time.

Thanks
    This is a painting I've been working on as a Christmas Present for my dad. It is of my baby brother, his son, Joshua, he is 2 years old and up until this day he was absolutely petrified of the wind.

PS: I am his much, much older brother

Thanks
    I have been stuck off the grid for a few months now, so I haven't had the opportunity to post anything for a while. Here is a collection of pieces I've been working on during my absence.
    Mostly Illustrations, including a self portrait and a concepts for a Paladin character I've been working on.

Last edited by JLamps; February 5th, 2014 at 02:59 AM.

Thanks
    It is really bothering me that i can't get a thumbnail picture for this thread in the sketchbook forum.

I had one originally, but i have removed and re-sized all the images in my sketchbook since then. Ever since I did that my sketch book has been without a thumbnail and it has been a constant headache trying to fix the problem.

I am almost at the end of my rope with this and i am considering just starting a new one altogether. Its hard updating this sketchbook, knowing that it's only representation is nothing more then an empty white square.

If anyone know how to fix it, please, please let me know.

There really should be a simple button or option to change your threads thumbnail at anytime you please, the fact that i cant even get one to appear at all, let alone change it as i please is very frustrating.

How are people supposed to be inspired enough to click on your sketchbook when they can't even see an example of what they should expect.

Thanks to everyone for the help. (Just in case anyone actually manages to find their way to my sketchbook to see this and happens to know how I can fix this issue)

Last edited by JLamps; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:43 PM.

Thanks
    Just some more pieces I thought I would share

Thanks

I'm working on a new IP - The Human Machine

Hey all

I have started work on a new IP today and I just thought I'd tell you all a little bit about it. I do have images, but they are mostly sketch's and really quick, really ruff speed paintings, So I probably wont post any of them until I have something more complete to show you.

I call it "The Human Machine" or THM for short. It is basically a Sci/fi universe set in the far future, were people are managed to forestall old age and illness by systematically replacing they own body parts with bio-mechanical limbs and implants.

It is a very grim, corrupt and dark age of humanity, were the lower classes live in squaller and poverty, while the rich live very long and comparatively lush lifestyles. So extensively have people orgamented themselves that its bordering on self mutilation.

Democracy is nothing more then an illusion in this dark age, with LPH "Live people Hacking" and political corruption spreading throughout the social elite, wealth, influence and power have become the governments primary ambition.

Jobs are scarce and growing scarcer. Everything is run by machines, operated by "Drones", unconscious, Limbless, human Operators, with little to no free will or sense of self. These "Drones" or USHI "Unconscious Silent Human Intelligence" are essentially fussed into all manner of machines, their brain power eliminating all need of artificial intelligence.

In the past humanity had been enjoying a golden age, no disease, no poverty and no threat of old age and no crime. But it wasn't to last as AI had improved over the centuries, the inevitable eventually happened and the machines had risen up to fight against humanity.

We were driven to the brink of extinction, but somehow managed to overcome the sentient machines. This chaotic, crumbling semblance of humanity that exists today is a result of that almost apolitical event.

In the current age all AI/sentient Machines are strictly outlawed, with human brains and bodies making up the necessary components within our technology today. This practice has lead to the many outlandish and obscure uses for the human form, with "humans" serving as everything from Batteries to Communication devices to Fusion reactors.

The corrupt government called "The High Command" is really just the, not so friendly, face to a entirely more sinister individual known as "The Governor" who rules mankind from the shadows with an iron fist. The "Enforcers" are his most valuable weapon when it comes to this, they are law enforcers, the police of this forsaken universe and they are more machine then man.

The Governor abuses his powers to an extreme and is able to hack into the brains of any individual who is connected to the Central Grid, being able to make them do whatever he wants. The being connected to the "CG" is essentially like having the internet inside your head, more accurately it is a collective intelligence of every individual connected to it.

Crime is rampant, in particular cyber crime, as you could imagine the ability to hack into peoples brains and therefor any computer system in the planet can be quite lucrative.
    ....>End Transition/

As you can imagine I have much more work to do on this IP before I can call it complete, hell I may never call it that. I have compiled loads of sketches and ideas today and will hopefully have some visuals for you all to view very soon.

I am contemplating writing a novel, or three, set in this universe and possibly even a graphic novel, but that is a long way off. I Hope you enjoyed this and hopefully found the concept interesting.

(PS: If anyone likes this concept so much that they might want to collaborate or contribute in anyway, absolutely feel free to drop me a message anytime, I am certainly open to the idea)

Last edited by JLamps; March 16th, 2014 at 01:09 PM.

Thanks

Forever Unfinished

This is just something I've been working on this afternoon. Unfortunately due to a technical error, I won't go into, I have lost the high resolution version of this pic.

Its really frustrating, because I don't want to res it up again, to work on it, only to have to reduce it down again when I'm done. So i have decided to take a brake and then reassess whether or not I want to continue with it.
    Hope you like it and as always feel free to leave any feedback that you might have.

PS: I should add that this is a environment set in the IP I mention in the previous post. Post 17: The Human Machine. You can also check my blog for more details.

www.scifiandfantasydesign.blogspot.com (I know its a mouth ful lol)

Last edited by JLamps; March 25th, 2014 at 04:51 AM.

Thanks
    This is what I did in my spare time today. The 1st one should be the photo plate I have just prepared to start painting on top of, if you want to use it as well, that could be an interesting idea, we could compare what we come up with.

Last edited by JLamps; March 25th, 2014 at 04:22 AM.

Thanks

Talking

OK, I decided to do a few master piece studies today, I spent 1 hour on each one and as per the rules, no colour picker, no tracing, etc, etc.

The second one I found much more difficult, just because, the face really played an important roll in the composition, and I know the idea is to NOT focus on the details, but even still, I found myself spending loads of time trying to get the face right.

In the end, I still didn't get the face to a place I was happy with.

Anyway, hope you enjoy and as always, any feed back that you might have (good or bad) would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Thanks
    This is actually a piece I did about a month back, as a present to my good mate Harry, who came down to visit. It had been a year since we saw each other, so i thought it would be nice to do a piece just for him.

Now usually I wouldn't be spending much time on things like fan art, but as it happens, my mate Harry is a Warhammer 40k nut!

PS: I've also included the reference picture, i stole from his Facebook. and as always, I hope you enjoy and any feed back would be appreciated.

Thanks
    This is an un-entered weekly competition pieces for a resent IDOW, the fire starter, or something like that.

Hope you enjoy and as always, any feedback that you might have would be much appreciated.

Last edited by JLamps; 1 Week Ago at 10:12 PM.

Thanks
    This is a piece I did this afternoon, its of 2 of my favorite Game of thrones characters. I know its a bit fan art'ish, but at the end of the day, I am a massive fan and it was more of a film study turned illustration.

Thanks
    Everyone's favorite stargate character, except mine because i couldn't possibly pick only one, T, E, A, L, Apostrophe C

Enjoy:

Thanks
    Just something I was inspired to do this afternoon, after watching Kingdom of Heaven, excellent movie by the way.

I present you, Baron Godfrey de Ibelin

Not quite finished, I might pick it up again tomorrow, so any advice would be very welcome.

Thanks
    Hey there JLamps!, first off you have some good ideas and designs in those spy flies; I like how you gave them individual purposes too. Your story sounds promising- perhaps you could even work on it as a graphic novel? Its always nice to see a writer planning.

Maybe for your figure drawings you could try this There's also a few books listed that can be found as pdfs if you search for them The link is a good go-to source if you need to refresh, Bridgman's figure drawing helps you understand the figure more.
    Your colouring is coming along nicely post #20 shows your understanding, keep working hard and pushing the fundamentals and you will see some brilliant results.
    The game of thrones piece is brilliant, never be afraid to make fan-art since when we draw what we are interested in it certainly shows!

Thanks
    Thank you so much Akora, good feedback if hard to come by and I will certainly grab a hold of that Ebook you linked, at a glance it looks very helpful.

I am really glad you liked the Story idea, I would of posted more, but I thought it might be a bit drab and boring for people to read. And I agree 100%, I think it would work really well as a graphic novel, with really dark and "Blade Runner-ish" visuals.

If not a graphic novel, then a regular novel, with a twist, loads of artwork through out the book, aiding with descriptions of things.

EG: guy finds new enchanted sword, there happens to be a picture of said awesome sword on the page opposite.
    Its been an idea I've been thinking about lately, not a novel, not a comic, not a picture book, but something different.

And I am glad you enjoyed the Game of thrones piece, I've always been told to steer away from fan art, as it makes you "look more Amature-ish." But like you said, passion drives a piece, the more passion the better the end result and I've also heard of some people gaining long time employment, for a franchise, they used to do loads of fan art about.

And the piece was really well received on my facebook page, apparently there are allot of Game of Thrones fans out there, who knew?

Anyway, thanks again for the feedback, feels like its been ages, I plan on doing a few more film studies from the Kingdom of Heaven movie, then I will move onto that Ebook you posted and go through that.

I have a savior lack of Art related books, and in times past relied heavily on the internet, but alas, I moved houses and the good internet I once had didn't follow.

PS: I may post more on "The human Machine" soon, I just want some completed art to go with it, so its not just a giant block of text like this, lol. If your interested, you can check out my Blog to see all the sketch's I currently have for it.

http://scifiandfantasydesign.blogspot.com.au/ (!!Just Scroll down!!)

Last edited by JLamps; 6 Days Ago at 02:50 AM.

Thanks
    Hey Its no problem I like to see what artists are up to on here, I feel I should do it a lot more often! I just hope that I can help people even if its just a nudge in the direction I know Ive went towards I believe that a graphic novel would work as you put it and the idea of having text on one page and another with an illustration , books like that would give you a nice job of work, and it would be all your own work.
    I understand why some people are against fan-art' they believe it will make you stagnant and only able to draw a certain way and I believe this is only true if you do nothing but fan-art, but again its a vessel for passion Trust me, everyone will have a different opinion on the whole fan-art thing haha!
    Game of thrones is the sort of TV series that has a massive atmosphere, I suppose its only so since they filmed in many different countries that the scale seems large- that and people love the acting and all the work put into sets and costumes, there's a lot put into it and people admire that.

I wonder how many people wonder about the apocalypse, people are drawn to the unknown and 'the end', its pretty imaginative and grim, I see why people write about it.I find it good that you know which genre you want to be in on with your writing too, (I'm sorry I can't be helpful when writings concerned, I try to write but always hide it!)
    Stick to your passions and don't be afraid to try something new

Members who have read this thread: 26