Hello there, I am looking for some critiques/advice on this painting that I did.
I tried to make the guy old and as a squid with a shell for his headpiece.
People have questioned me about the red eyes, I personally like them. I do think that the ending of the red glow could be more subtle and less abrupt.
This was also the first time that i went the ''warm light, cold shadows'' way, any elaborations on that topic are also very much appreciated, i find myself struggling with it.
I made this about 1 month ago, if i were to critique it myself i'd say:
1. fix the shell helmet, it is very much skewed, make a grid and correct it accordingly.
2. try to look for more hue variations that can be made to make the image look interesting.
3. have hard and soft edges, the silhouette of the guy is OK in that aspect but don't forget to choose your edges on the tentacles as well.
also in the background are definitely oppertunities to vary in edges more
4. have the texture of the tentacles follow the curve of the cylinders, they're supposed to be horizontal, not vertical. right now they are a mix between the two.
5. fix the shoulders, the head looks like its attached in a very weird way, as if its some very buff guy's body with a very frail/old tentacle head. Think of the body as well, when making a head.
6. make the tentacles in the shadow match the curvyness of the ones in the light. Also make sure that theyre actually symmetrical in 3d space, at this moment they are not.
Thank you for your time, any advice and expansion on my own critique is highly appreciated.
I've uploaded it via imgur, since i couldn't upload via CA and i'm just dying to get more feedback