Inked linework

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Inked linework

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Inked linework

I need to know how I fare with digital inking? The designs are for a story I'm working on as a hobby. The style is sort of wacky-ish, with a noticeable eastern influence. I wanted some opinions on it, is the style or inking somehow offputting in some way? I myself think the style is kind of neat. I might turn the story into a webcomic, but I might also just go into a different medium with these designs.

The setting of the story itself is sort of whimsical.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing I would not do if you were drawing manga-style, would use the hatches into the shadows and midtones. The use of halftones is much better.But the pictures are good.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to pauloricardo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Pauloricardo. I'm not sure how to use halftones just yet so here is some line art without hatches while I try to figure out how to implement halftones.

These are some of the antagonists from the project.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your lines are looking wobbly. also, the transitions from thick to thin are sometimes too abrupt. It's getting close but if you're working towards professional quality inking, consistency is key. My first job in animation i spent an entire week doing clean ups on 30 drawings, when i turned them in my director threw them all away. The next week it took me 4 days before i did 1 drawing that he accepted, but then the next day my hand was trained and he accepted them all. I think it takes about 2 weeks of grueling, linework to the point where your hand aches at night, but if you suffer well, you'll be rewarded with something that will never leave you unless you get parkinsons...god forbid.

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielBodinof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Daniel, I appreciate that you shared your experience in the industry as well as knowledge. I hope to eventually correct the wobbly lines through more rigorous training. I also need to work on my line width variation timing. I would like to improve my skills to the professional level and I hope to be able to do so within the next several weeks. It will probably take me longer than 2 weeks to get that consistency down.

When I think about it, only my neck hurts, but never my hand, so I don't think I'm pushing my hand hard enough, even if I spend several hours a day drawing, most likely because I'm going too slow. Speed is something I also need to acquire.

Anyways, here are two new works that I was working on. I've been told I need to work on my word placement in the word balloon.

Edit Reason: Previous post was too wordy. Streamlined post.

Last edited by Fulgrate; March 16th, 2013 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Does anybody have any tips on how to improve my inking further? Any tips on making it less wobbly? The only immediate solution I can think of is putting a piece of paper over the tablet as its a generation 3 Intuos. Other than that, I will have to keep practicing until I'm able to get the method down as was advised in this thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practice is good, you need to learn how to "resume" gestures and forms with one line. Inking is not only drawing a black line at the external part of object, it should indicate a lot more things.
    I think if you want to improve, the better way is training yourself on paper with real feather and ink, you will learn a lot and a lot more easily. Then, try again with digital and look at what you need to obtain the same quality. If you stay with digital only, I'm afraid you will miss a lot of things that real ink can learn you. Do quick sketch, try to learn how to represent gesture and shape with a few lines. Do not let your palm rest on the paper, give your wrist some freedom...

By the way, you can definitly look at classical japanese and chinese print (not the manga, the classical "painting") and comics inking. Try to copy some part, that will learn you another way to have a good line and how use downstrokes and upstrokes... I love Albert Uderzo linework for cartoon comics in Europe, but you can find good exemples everywhere, like in disney sketch, classical american comics and classical inking...

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I need more practice, thank you for the tip. I'll try to use ink to indicate more than just the external part of the object. On my own, it will take a while though.

I use to use paper with ink nib pens and india ink years ago. What I know from it is that when ever I made a mistake, whiting out was more time comsuming, and each mistake added an additional 5 minutes of no inking. It was very ardous, indeed. I also remember finding out the hard way of why not to let your palm rest on the paper after smudging the freshly laid inked. At my fastest, filling out an entire page would take 5-8 hours and would only look as good as pages I can make in the tablet within 2 hours. Thank you for your advice though. I haven't actually inked traditionally in approximately 3 years, all my old equipment is probably in a box somewhere. I never used a feather and ink though. I think I should give it a try to see what that style of inking is like. What feather would you recommend?

I've seen, but never studied classical japanese and chinese, so I think I'll give that a try too. As well as the other styles you mentioned, as I do want to find out how to use down and upstrokes.

------

Here are is two different tablet inking tests, each used different settings so that I would be able to see how much the results differed when I inked.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Very visibly amateurish, I am afraid.

I recommend to learn to ink with a pen or a brush. Ink a thousand pages, you'll get a hang of it. Digital ink doesn't respond like the real stuff, and it doesn't teach you the right flow and movement. You probably could imitate it in digital if you had enough experience with the real thing, but you've got next to no chance without that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PauloRicardio: Hello Paul, I do the linework by first drawing a rough layer, then drawing line art in a layer above it, then finally, a third layer with final digital inkwork.

arenhaus: Thank you for you advice. I'll have to get my hands on traditional equipment and see how it goes since its been years. Do you recommend a feather pen or this kind of pen? http://www.amazon.com/Speedball-Hunt...ywords=pen+nib

Here are some videos of the more recent artworks. This way, you can see the exact method I use while drawing with a tablet as well as how I have my layers. The method is sort of rough.

Knight Gofiro segments: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCnTjw7MU48
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD5n0gmeQ50
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dL6x-rOhPAE

The art file for the recent Pierra work showing whats in each layer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-qiTBdTCsk

Villain file showing whats contained in the layers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qae8UMmO2FM

Thanks
    Thanked 2,329 Times in 1,434 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulgrate View Post
    Do you recommend a feather pen or this kind of pen?
    Try different nibs, see what feels more natural for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.