Underground City Illustration WIP - Please Critique

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello everyone, I've been working on this piece for a bit and I figured I'd try to get some feedback on it. Thanks!

Name:  thumbnail1a.jpg
Views: 112
Size:  26.2 KB

-Darren

Last edited by Algorithmic; April 16th, 2013 at 12:18 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello
    I like what you did so far, really nice rendering, really nice transparency effect on the stone... but I have an issue figuring out what the character is doing ?
    The city on the background is maybe a little too much visible for a far away object, and the red shield is hard to understand at the first glance. Maybe you can just make the border of the bubble a little more standing out ?

Oh and now I see it, but the floor do not match the character feet perspective... the "squares" are too stretched.

Hope that help you

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Griffonnage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Griffonnage, thanks for the advice! I've been trying to fix what you said. Messed with the floor, trying to make the cavern more distinct ect. In the narrative, the character is looking at a map on his hand and viewing the beginning of trail he's supposed to follow to the city.

Here's an update:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-MIOikx4qYw...tion+WIP+8.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The two things that confuse me are definitely all the colors and light. Are the swirls a light source? How bright is that ball really? The city must be giving off some crazy light to be going off like that. Then we see some random ambient blues and reds that throws the area off even more. I think this bad boy can really give that oomph if you bump up the light and let some shadows fall in somewhere.

I added a P.O., I tried separating the colors and darkened the area around the tower. I think would read a lot better if you did something like this. Keep in mind I didn't include a bunch of reflections and bounce lights and all of that icky stuff.
    Name:  ffeo7eo1.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  182.3 KB

Last edited by J.R.Hollis; March 28th, 2013 at 04:20 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to J.R.Hollis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was actually trying to avoid the cliche of two colors completely separated and contrasted like that, he's not a smurf after all. Or having most of the painting blacked out. For example: http://i.imgur.com/eTDM4.jpg.

I think this is a better example of more of what I was aiming for: http://i.imgur.com/fGL2Ebv.jpg

Or even better:
    http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2571/4...76e54cc8_b.jpg
    ...or anything else by Syd Mead for that matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm in your second exemple the light is red and shadows are blue... it's not only about overlaying colors. It's the same in your last exemple.

If you want to mix red and blue like they do, you should find light sources for that. You can use the panels on the side and put some red lamp on them, you will have strong red lighting that will be usefull to create strong blue shadows. That can solve your issue with black part if you definitly don't like it... But in my opinion, you will need to let some part of the picture in the dark : a picture where everything is visible and defined is more annoying than another with detailed/lighted part and other more suggested. That help the eye to focus only on what you want, here : the guy and the city :-)

I think J.R.Hollis paintover can be a good start for you to think about how keep these two points focal points, think about contrasts too and try to work with more defined light area. You are aiming for something playing with strong colors opposition, I think you can go for really saturated colors !

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I can see you're point about separating the colors but what I was really trying to say was make sure that when you put a light source in an area, that it is consistent.

Syd Mead is freaking sweat too, Blade Runner is one of my favorite movies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, Syd Mead is awesome, huge inspiration!

I think I get where you guys are coming from with the light sourcing. I'll be working on it little by little until it looks consistent. I'm not going to go as far as separating the colors completely, or blacking out half my painting, but I'll definitely try to leverage the pieces focal points a bit more using contrast.

Anyway, Here's an update, I've tried to mess with the lighting and colors a bit. There are a lot of different light sources, included the ones off-camera, so it is tough. I think I need to really buckle down and start adding in more structure and detail to the city next.

Link to image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'm probably going to call this one finished. Thanks for the advice guys! Hope it turned out OK.

Members who have read this thread: 2