Utopia

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Utopia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Utopia

I'm looking to build a portfolio to get into the industry. I added the character and birds because it felt boring. I'm a little stuck, it still doesn't feel right. I'm looking for that epic feeling that a lot of concept arts have. Any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Name:  Untitled-2.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  149.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello
    You have something nice so far. I think what is missing is some "punch". Try to saturate more the light, and the overall image. The light is grey here, the nature feel "dead". Make what you want to appear as the principal element shine more and don't be shy with saturation.

For exemple here, the water have no interesting reflections, the wings of the birds can have a light reflection too that will create a "line" to conduct the eyes. The building feel a little boring because everything is in simple shape and visible, everything have the same tone. Try to reinforce the edges, create details where the light is and use the shadows to suggest and "push" the part in the light. If there are windows, use the reflections too.

I think you can have a very good result just by playing with color burn and some saturation/contrasts layers

* My current blog
    * Sketchbook page on CA.org coming soon...

Have a good and creative day !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would change your canvas to a different size. Try a root 4 which is basically 2 perfect squares across. This format would only be used in an animation background with a pan. Secondly. you have a decent range of tones. you could possibly go brighter in some areas, but the big issue is, your tones aren't telling a story. All painting is really about is tone. And where your darkest dark meets your lightest light, that is where you want your viewer to look. Thats the selling point of your painting. Currently, that area is the boring, flat oval in your structure. Not an engaging story. 3rd, everything is sort of on the same plane, which is midground, so you're not achieving that epic, vast feeling you want. create more space in your piece by consciously designing a fore, middle, and background. Hope this helps.

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had assumed that in front of the girl was concrete with rocks of some sort. I think you could also had a bit more texture on what I now think are lily pads so that it's more obvious as to what it is. I also think you should saturate the image more, maybe brighten the area where light hits and add some dust particles to lighten up the atmosphere.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.