Help on pencil technique.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Help on pencil technique.

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help on pencil technique.

Here's 2-3 hours I spent on a SP.

I'd like to get to the point of drawing like JP (TARGETE), wes, metalwinds, insane visions, coro, llewelyn, and the like. I'd like to know what marks I make that are successful, and what ones are going horribly awry. It's appreciated.

If anyone feels so generous as to draw over or whatever, thats appreciated too.

Rip away, please. :machinegu

edit: oh yeah, i guess I'll attach the picture too...

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    not bad, but try lookin at how the old dudes used to draw, like the old masters its good you like tragets stuff etc as we all do but try to learn the origins and come up with a style of your own, every stroke you make should be your own, if you look at most well established artists, you can tell who it is just by the shading or strokes used most the time, even with pen perspective drawings i could tell something feng did from something say khang le did so come up with ur own preferance of shading through some of the old techniques, as far as this piece goes i think you need to keep working on anatomy, and practice drawing more faces from different angles this is a pretty good attempt i think but also the shading is kinduv sloppy, and i think you need to get more contrast and smoother transitions, push those darks and use a kiss of highlights to pull it all together in the end. Make sure you keep your pencil in good condition too, maybe have a bunch of them sitting out cause ur gradients are kinda sloppy too and it looks like its because either you not using that good of a pencil or your being to lazy to keep them in good condition. The last thing too is maybe us a better photo for referance, this one has such random lighting that its really confusing as you have shadow all over so make sure you get a strong light sorce and block it in right away when you draw after the big shapes are roughed in. Just keep stuff gestual or you can even map out the shadows, thats a common technique. Keep drawin man, ive noticed improvemnts in you since AIS. Ill prolly see you at the next meet in Seattle, not tonigh but the next one if i can. Cheers

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Jet'!

You should take it a step and a time!

First, you should work on the proportions and getting the features down. Just lines here, worry about shading later

If you're feeling pretty good at that, then learn a lot about the form of the head and its masses. Bridgman has a great book on that! This is when your bring in the shading!

After you learned all that, fine tune it! Like, 1) more contrast 2) cleaner, more confident shading 3) bring in your own penciling style!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, pretty much what gasmask said.

push the value/tonal range a bit more..

sometimes its good to let shapes get lost in shadow...

im assuming that this is done from life.. if so keep doing them, try doing some with more dramatic lighting so that you can really see the definition of forms. after doing some of those, go back to doing some in more subdued light and see how you view the forms of you face then.

also really focus on getting the proportions and shapes drawn correctly early on so you dont have to go back and mess around redrawing. block in the whole head loosely at first to make sure all the shapes and forms are proportionally correct. then refine.

hope that helps

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, rendering shading is an animal all it's own, and, as these guys have mentioned, the hard part is proportion and anatomy. After that, good rendering is just a bit of practice and experiments. I'm not sure that it's the right approach to go for only line until you've got all that down, though. I think you can develop multiple things at once. (But uh.. whatever Wes says he probably has it right, so take my advice with a grain of salt, yo!) You might enjoy doing some master copies. Copy drawings of ren/baroque artists. (Go for drawings instead of paintings - its a more direct transfer of techniques.) In the process you can learn a bit about anatomy, proportion and also see how they have handled light and shadow. Those guys often made it up, shading for plane changes and form rather than light, so it is much different than what you could get working from life or a photo. They were usually very good with contrast, line weight and core shadows. developing your rendering with good habits from them could be a good experience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jetpack,

i second what wes says. actually id suggest before ever worrying about shading to learn to get the countour right...you can shade the hell out of a portrait but if the linework and contour is off the shading is worthless...if you dont have a good likeness in the linework just start over and keep trying.

also...steaktron did a banging portrait of you that seemd to capture your likeness rather well...try copying the countour of that drawing in but do it really slow and thought out rather than fast and scribbley. then when your happy with the line work and it all looks right then do the shading but carefully think about the planes of the face and keep your lightsource in mind...hope this helps man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jetpack, self portraits are a great way to improve your drawing from life skills. you need to do alot more as well; before you try and be like llewellyn or jp or wes or whoever, you need to first get a handle at what you feel. we were all there when we all wanted to be like someone else. dont be like them, they got there because they believed in themselves and what they did. thats no different from da vinci , micheangelo, ingres, bougeraeu, lucian frued, nerdrum etc. forget style, if sopmething looks cool, itll have a style of its own. work on the lighting, try different ways to approach this hatching, cross hatching, smudging (i really DONT recommend this one except on specific locations, but some ppl can pull it off quite nicely) ink, any medium your comfortable with, if your a wacom machine then go digital, if you like the feel of the pencil then go with traditional. before you try and get your style up to like your heroes first remember they got there by being themselves, be jetpack, dont be andrew or wes, or kevin or any o those guys, the world already has one of them. be the next jetpack not just another copy cat.
    the drawing needs more depth, try and study the facial forms more, its all about forms and how you make the P O P. also, create the space, it helps aesthetic-wise, im not saying draw your sorroundings but hatch and darken the background on your sp where it needs to to provide the spacial info.
    hope this helps jetpack, and keep it up, ive noticed a good deal of improvement.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.