Sketchbook: Silentjosh847's Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Silentjosh847's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Silentjosh847's Sketchbook

After years and years of forum lurking, i'm ready to make the leap and create my sketchbook. I know there is some controversy right now, and not all of the old guard will be around to critique, but I truly appreciate anyone's input. My dream, like many of us here, is to become a pro illustrator/concept artist. Over the years i've heard good things about this community, and I look forward to learning and contributing when I can.

First up, some recent figure studies.

I'll post some perspective and other mediocre things soon!

Cheers,

Josh

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello there sir. I made the jump to lurking to posting recently too. Congrats sir. Anyway it's a good start but I'm not going to leave you hanging with just that. I'm reteaching myself the figure now and I have alot of work to do so take this stuff with a huge grain of salt please.

1. You've already got a sense of the body's planes. This is good for teaching you to think about the body in a specific way that helps construct it in your mind. If you haven't studied the skeleton yet you may want to begin there. Number 3 in the images has what seems like a bit of a wonky skeletal structure to me.

2. Don't let yourself get lazy about gestures. It's a weakness I fall into a lot so I know how tempting it is but it helps not only keep the figures smooth and fluid but it helps make for more confident lines. Anthony Ryder has a book with a good technique for teaching gesture drawing that I'm loving and recommending like crazy.

3. faces. It's odd, your planar portrait (which is quite good, I think) shows a better understanding of the skeleton than the skull you've drawn seems to. Perhaps spending some time drawing skulls of different types before moving on to serious facial studies will be effective for you.

4. Scribble shading is fun but especially as well as your brain seems to register planar work have you given thought to using more hatching and cross hatching to help you solidify your understanding further?

I'm looking forward to coming back and seeing more sir. Good luck with your practice. Just remember to always be thinking as you draw and asking if what your'e doing is working and that small things have to connect to larger practice areas. Drawing simple shapes in perspective relates to drawing body parts in perspective, relates to drawing full bodies in perspective etc.

If you're wish my blog and thus portfolio are available for comment. I can always use critique.

http://aradneyart.blogspot.com

Also, my concept art sketchbook can be found here

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...g-in-headfirst

Insanity
    Definition: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    "You must first learn the rules. That way, you can learn to break them properly"-Dahli Lama

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_Radney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the thoughtful critique. I will definitely remember to complete gestures before moving on to structure and shape. Still learning more about the skeleton, will keep working. I'll look into the Ryder book!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A digital painting attempt.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.