Finding Local Artists
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Finding Local Artists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finding Local Artists

(Sorry for another thread back to back).

I've found that communicating with people online is great for information, but like with anything, its always been better to have people you can interact with face to face. I switched my major at my college to an Art Major so I could start meeting people locally but I was wondering if there were resources or a website for meeting with a local sketch group of entertainment designers or versed concept artists. I just want a commitment to get up and leave this house and interact with some people who have the same goal as me. I've attended art shows and go to art events, but finding designers or artists who are further along than myself has been difficult. I feel like this doesn't have to be a completely solo journey, and there HAS To be masters out there who just enjoy community building in real life.

I've contemplated hiring tutors, but from the available ones I have to choose from in Orlando they are either far to expensive or very abstract illustrators (maybe im being picky). It would be nice to just have a nice weekly routine to report to to work on different things and get face to face feedback as well as just meet some people and make some friends associated to the industry. Like I mentioned, the internet is great, but I'm a bit of an extrovert and sitting in a room by myself working on something can become incredibly depressing. There is time I could be spent drawing that I will be spending just engaging in social interactions for my need to be around people. Just trying to see if there is something I'm missing so I can not get so depressed when I want to spend a lot of time drawing (also I tend to not be haunted so much by my inner critic when others take on that role).

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,227 Times in 1,348 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Start a new group that you'd like, then. Find a place and time to get together, and ask permission from local businesses like cafes or art supply stores or bookstores that carry art books, etc. to put up flyers. Let them find you, instead of you running after them.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to arenhaus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ca-org-local-artist-groups. its hidden quite well though.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm maybe you're putting too much pressure on yourself trying to find people with the exact same interests as you. Why don't you try something fun like a Dr. Sketchy's or a Drink n' Draw event (providing you're old enough to drink that is).

I have to agree with arenhaus. Once you start doing things yourself and putting yourself out there, people will definitely start coming to you.

Feel like kicking some artistic butt this year?
    Come check out the new subforum
    Beginners Challenges and Activities

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,369 Times in 3,592 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.meetup.com/ It's how I found life drawing classes

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.