To quit, or not to quit?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

To quit, or not to quit?

Hey everyone, I am seeking some advice.

Right now I have pretty decent day job. I live in the US and I make anywhere from 55k-60k a year. The problem is that it's very energy demanding (both physical/mental), and it's completely unrelated to art/illustration (it's a welding/fabricating job). So, at the end of the day, I only manage to get in anywhere from 1-4 hours of drawing, which in my mind, isn't acceptable.

I've still managed to make some progress over the last couple of years since I started taking art seriously. But, the progress has been slow, and it will take forever for me to get where I want to be. Plus, I don't really want to work in my current job for the rest of my life, regardless of how well it may end up paying down the road.

My question is: can anyone think of some types of jobs that will allow me to sit there and draw all day, and still collect a paycheck? Night jobs are kind of out of the question for me right now because my wife has a disability and is somewhat dependent on me to take care of her at times (ie, I need to be on a similar schedule to her, and her schedule revolves around the daytime).

Anyways, I just wanted to float this out there to see if anyone has some general advice and/or ideas to help me out.

Thanks!

-I often post from my phone; so please excuse the typos
    Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you consider options, don't forget about other compensation: bonuses, paid time-off/holidays, insurance, 401k, etc. Most jobs are worth more than the salary alone.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,524 Times in 3,718 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There was a thread further down in the Lounge about this very thing. Go and have a gander

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.