Thanks
    Follows
    Following

help with aeroplane sketching methods

hi am a novice in all my art endeavours,

i have an image i would like to draw of an F-18 Hornet

the image is second one down on this page:
    http://2chnode.com/archives/168173.html

I was wondering the best way to tackle it.

I initially tried to just line draw the outline a few times, then switched to drawing a rectanglular box with a centre line and started to get better results.

I was wondering if anyone had tips. I dont want to go TOO 'scott robertson' on it i.e drawing ALL construction lines etc, but if this is the only way to do it..... i better move back to figures.

i am really after building up my visual library and aircraft are always present in sci fi drawings/paintings.

Is it better to use the block rectangle type design with a centre line and build up or is it better to try and observe the outline and draw in this manner?

Anyone any pointers please?

Thanks for any input.

Thanks a lot.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd say to try all of the methods out to see what suits you best, but I'd personally block it out into a set of shapes and guide lines. Easier to grasp the actual shape and form of the object that way.

Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxbuz View Post
    hi am a novice in all my art endeavours,

i have an image i would like to draw of an F-18 Hornet

the image is second one down on this page:
    http://2chnode.com/archives/168173.html

I was wondering the best way to tackle it.

I initially tried to just line draw the outline a few times, then switched to drawing a rectanglular box with a centre line and started to get better results.

I was wondering if anyone had tips. I dont want to go TOO 'scott robertson' on it i.e drawing ALL construction lines etc, but if this is the only way to do it..... i better move back to figures.

i am really after building up my visual library and aircraft are always present in sci fi drawings/paintings.

Is it better to use the block rectangle type design with a centre line and build up or is it better to try and observe the outline and draw in this manner?

Anyone any pointers please?

Thanks for any input.

Thanks a lot.
    Perspective doesn't know which way is up or down. Simply rotate your horizon and find the vanishing points on the new horizon line. Its easy if you rotate the page with horizon in horizontal position.

Also you can open the image in Photoshop and find the vanishing points.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Better do it with construction lines, using cubes in the beginning, as they'll let you think in terms of 3d, and understand how it looks from any angle, instead of just copying, where you'll lear just a few minor things, especially because it comes from photohraph. You should definitely go with Scott Robertson's approach, at least while you are still learning how to think in 3d, as everybody will tell you it is of huge importance. Later, you probably won't need to draw cubes for every single object, but until you come to that level, stick with construction. It will help you with everything, still life, figure drawing, and whatnot, not just with vehicles and environments. Here is a great Feng Zhu video regarding this topic:

You can as well start watching from part 1.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Duxbuz View Post
    Unless you have years and years of experience constructing forms in perspective like this, that's the only way to get decent results. Guessing and winging it only work for people who've nailed the fundamentals and have become fluid enough in them so they don't need to put them down on paper every time.

There are no shortcuts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its like solving a math problem, you have the formula and you have the problem, all you need to do is iterate using different methods and at some point it will just fall into place.

Drawing Cubes in perspective comfortably is best way to draw in three dimensions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Learn basic perspective first, then draw a guidelines, draw a box, draw a box whiting the box, mold that box, pinch it, squeeze it! not too hard.. be sensible... AND VOILA!

-We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit.

-Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon 'em.

My SKETCHbook
    http://jeeso.deviantart.com/

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.