So what is the fate of ConceptArt.org (and art forums in general)? - Page 6

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    @markmaker - I just threw the bar at the top together in ms paint(along with everything else). I would picture it looking more like the toolbar at the top of blogger.

Anyways, the issue here plain and simple is that the forum home page is visually unattractive and not instantly navigable to someone who has never been here. And for someone who has been here a while we realize the design is just a shell of what it used to be. In this digital age we all have ADD and if something looks scattered and unorganized we wont stick around to figure it out. Not everyone is like this, but you have to treat the situation like everyone is like this. We want meat, and we want it hot and right in front of us, not scattered pieces of beef jerky with lint on them. CA.org used to be pure 100% grass fed beef..

I'm not being a hater, but this upgrade thing just seems like a disaster. Sites do this shit all the time, trying to add new features and streamline old ones.

Get back to the basics, back to the foundations. Figure out what it was that made it work. Yes, people are a huge portion of that but so is the place you give them to socialize. Really though, it doesn't seem like whoever owns this site is interested in the community, nearly as much as they are as making money from it.

Last edited by wardrum; December 16th, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I also understand this costs money, yes. Get some adds on the borders of site - if that improves what's at the core of the site without disrupting the community, do it. I can ignore what's on the borders, I can't ignore what's in the center if I'm trying to use the damn thing.

Thanks
    Just wanted to say a big thank you to Jason for putting together the workshops on composition, colour theory etc. I got a lot out of both of them and I'm really looking forward to the one on character design in January. You're doing a great job!

Quote Originally Posted by wardrum View Post
    Really though, it doesn't seem like whoever owns this site is interested in the community, nearly as much as they are as making money from it.
    I beg to differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidharth Chaturvedi View Post
    you improve the quality of that community immeasurably when someone who knows what he/she is doing shows up. I can't count the number of times I've seen threads that were stuffed full of misinformation until someone like dpaint or JeffX99 came in and set the record straight.
    I agree. I like the idea of CA as a place where professionals feel comfortable sharing what they know with people who're serious about learning and improving. I'm one of those people and I absolutely appreciate all the advice and information you guys give.

The problem with the internet is, it gives everyone an equal voice so it becomes difficult to know who's worth paying attention to. Especialy when so many people are more interested in making out they know more than they do. Egos are terrible things.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,442 Times in 3,654 Posts
    Well when we do get going on the redesign, I want those people who do give constant sterling advice to have an awesomeness badge.

Thanks
    Conceptart.org's strength is in its information library and activities. There are no other sites that provide experts and tutorials that are easy to navigate and in a true "knitting circle" style feel. If you're a reader, like I am, one enjoys this dense style of reading. Navigation does need an update.

I have joined newgrounds, which I like, and I have also liked Saatchi online. both of these provide a gallery feature that is nonexistent on Conceptart.org. it was implemented before (vbulletin supports it) but for some reason it was taken away. I honestly could do without CA's Sketchbook section - it's obtuse for viewing art - sketchbooks or not. I much prefer vbulletin's addon gallery function.

Generally half of all artists, like doctors are a snotty and temperamental lot, so it's impossible to find any open community that is free of all problems. the other half is comprised of silly weirdos, who generally are the people that make art fun for all of us

Also donation buttons are illegal in the US unless you're a nonprofit, and can provide those little tax forms just fyi. I don't know if CA is a non profit now or not. You can change it to "contribute" or "help with server costs".

Last thought - vbulletin is complex, but it is still the only solution for a serious forum. I have seen excellent sites run on proboards - sort of a ghetto version of vbulletin. The forum format isn't going to go away, but quality forums will stand heads and toes above trashy fly by the pants forums like Deviant Art's forums or whatever. When a user gets used to a site, it's not hard to navigate. Vbulletin is excellent forum software. CGhub also uses it. (Fuck them, by the way. I hate CGhub.) CA has become so simplified compared to what it WAS, I don't think you can simplify it further. I also still like the warm and friendly Gesso color background. You can tell this site is run by artists, and not trying to be another silly information silo like Facebook.

Remember guys, quantity is not quality. I rather enjoy a slower paced enviroment. CA got way too busy for me for a while there. Too many teenagers on school vacation trying to learn how to draw is NOT a good thing.

Last edited by Izi; December 22nd, 2013 at 06:38 PM.
    ---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    I think CA just needs to clean up / organize its interface. The site, to a newcomer, is huge and ungainly and a lot of the stickied / official treads are either unprofessionally written or worryingly outdated. Instead of leaving the prompts and challenges to rot, unanswered, they ought to be consolidated into 'active' and 'inactive' categories. Weekly challenges focusing on one area at a time, perhaps.

I'd also recommend opening this place the hell up - excuse the vulgarity, but really. It's exceptionally difficult to get involved in this website - it has much potential still, and for me is a rediscovered gold mine of improvement. If only the userbase was larger, the traffic greater - which means, yes, making things a little bit easier for the lower common denominators. An overhaul, a united format for category rules / stickies, and greater options for user-run (instead of just moderator-run) challenges. Daily sketch prompts, for instance, could do well if they were actually daily - a task easier carried out by a larger group of people instead of a select few.

Uploading. I'm guessing the large part of money-to-hosting ratio is for the image hosting - the thing about Tumblr, for instance, is that you CAN direct-link to your images and they DON'T expire / exceed bandwidth, which is a thing supplanting photobucket or imageshack or other CA vagaries. While it's very generous for CA to offer free image hosting, it'd be easier and simpler to retract the img tag restrictions in certain forums and let users host their own images - maybe even provide tutorials on how to make / upload / link thumbnails to avoid page stretching and other issues.

Basically, organizing, streamlining, and keep on keeping on. I like the idear of this community and love what it's accomplihed in the past, but it NEEDS to evolve or fall the way, say Elfwood fell when DevArt reared up.

A little bit of personal background - I've used genre forums up to this point instead of strictly art ones. High-traffic places like GaiaOnline used to provide great feedback, community and shared interest - and its format was open as far as html could take you. CA is definitely WAY more professional, but would do good with the same free flow and attention.

when all,s said and done the message is clear
    it,s lonely as king in the kingdom of fear
    [:amon26]

Thanks
    "a lot of the stickied / official treads are either unprofessionally written or worryingly outdated."

This is true, gotta keep it simple and high quality. This requires administrators to constantly be grooming the site checking for outdated information, sloppy threads or ones that are just not necessary anymore. Far more than simply more activities, the site needs good grooming.

One of the problems here is that some of the moderators were not well chosen for this site, and no one bothered to weed out the inactive/redundant/bothersome ones after CA grew up that liked to just harass the artists and never make art themselves, until they just decided to up and have tantrums all by themselves and quit. They plenty of damage to the site and the site survived it because it was just big enough to escape from these toxic turds. I have seen what happens when moderators are not managed properly, in example, in not being rewarded when they do good things, or are not given certain powers when they need it, or conversely, not being hired in the first place. All moderators in my opinion need at least 1 year of experience moderating on any kind of board - even if its something silly - before they are allowed to do moderating, with some exceptions to this case being that they are mature people with some managing ability in human resources. There needs to be a structure to the management just like in a corporation, where there is a clear General Manager, Assistant Manager and moderators. Those higher managers with backend access should have professional level experience with the very complex vbulletin system.

On an anarchy site like Wikipedia for example, it's a different situation, because the entire community can pitch in with assume-good-faith contributions, and the whole thing updates itself practically. Here it is not the case. Have you ever tried to get a thread moved or a discussion moderatored here? It's completely impossible. no one will get back to you and they never do proper investigations. There is a huge moderator team that is almost a figurehead. There is no way to tell who is really in charge or even active mods. This hands off approach is really not a great way to improve the site. One has to rely on the unpaid contributions of a handful of seemingly arbitrarily picked moderators.

And as you can see, the proof is in the pudding. the site has not experienced growth in the past year, instead it has suffered a rather sharp decline.

Why in the world do you have administrators who have not logged on in nearly a year?

Why do you have moderators who havn't posted for over 6 months? It's insane is what it is.

I have to ask myself, do I stay here for the anarchy or the good management? It seems like we never get the best of either so I'd have to say it's because I like the vbulletin program and have good memories here.

For starters, you need to audit the forum leaders periodically, preferably every 3 months. 3 months of inactivity is well beyond acceptable for even a volunteer moderator or admin. What if their account gets hacked? They can always reapply. And there should be an application process, not some fly by the seat of your pants method of employment. Even volunteers need to meet a certain standard. Reward your moderators with special access of some kind, its easy to burn yourself out on volunteer work. there is a need for CLEAr well defined jobs. You need a thread grooming team and a activity team, a backend site-wide changes team and a conversation mediator. Most people will not be good candidates for all of these jobs. Clearly defining the jobs of the management, web administrator and moderator team is key to success.

About the image hosting:

Yes this does take up a lot of bandwidth. That's not the only thing, hits can be trouble, too I dealt with this on a forum by blocking a problem country, going to approved members only (later this became pay-to-talk) and we now do not recieve faux account applications (rarely). The next thing I did was make attached imgs viewable only to registered users, not the whole www. You don't want to waste an img upload to someone who is not interested enough to register, they can get the idea from the forum-native images for that. (banner, etc) next we used a cloud server in Seattle to augment our US capabilities. Our site gets a million hits per month and we only pay $80 or something for hosting. There was a time when we got a million hits per day, and that really sucked. The enviroment on the forum sucked, all of these trolls and window shoppers just sucked so bad. It's not all about hits. Bigger is never better unless you're in retail or advertising. And I suppose the job forums and sales havnt paid off or you wouldn't be asking for a wiki-donate bar to be filled.

As a small business owner let me tell you I understand having too many pans on the fire, but really with all of these potential volunteers if you just spent a day managing the moderators better you'd be working smarter, not harder.

So to summarize:

Pay attention to your bandwidth - who is coming from where, why and are they a problem? This requires careful attention on a monthly basis.
    Make sure moderators know their job, and are doing it. Occasional monitoring of what someone is up to is necessary to avoid disaster. Just because someone is a volunteer doesn't mean they are helping.
    Make sure moderators know who to go to for support, and that they have the tools they need.
    Make sure moderators know what they are doing.
    Make sure managers/admins know what they are doing - you can really wreck a site in the backend.
    Do not allow moderators/admins to be absent for more than 3 months (I say 1 month) without permission before revoking their access - this is a hacker safeguard.
    Don't allow nepotism to cloud your better judgement. Just because someone is a friend doesn't mean you need to have them managing your baby, especially if they are damaging its reputation.I have revoked access of enough friends and family to tell you - if they are really your friend, they'll understand - especially if your VP is doing it for you, after they've made several mistakes.
    Don't ignore member complaints.
    Recognize good service in a good timely manner. (IF William B. Hand wasn't a Taurus, I'm sure he would have ragequit by the time he was finally publically recognized for his service.)
    Regular editing of content is necessary.
    Regular meetings are necessary if you are a site experiencing more than 50 posts a day.
    Don't hang out in the mod/admin lounge, for xst's sakes (if you have one). It's incestuous and breeds contempt. Use it for business purposes only.
    If you see a problem, fix it right away if you can.
    Don't allow mods/admins (even yourself) to perma-delete, except during special purges. Everyone makes mistakes. You can have them move the posts/threads to a special archive for review by someone appointed to the perma-delete job. (I don't reccomend perma deleting anything for legal purposes)
    PAY ATTENTION.

CA isn't going to die unless someone pulls the plug. All communities have the potential to bounce back, with careful tending, just like any other garden or aquarium. (you may have to replace the plants or fish) And especially with places that have a storied history, you do such improvement from a position of strength, relatively. It's so hard starting a site from scratch.

Last edited by Izi; December 29th, 2013 at 01:39 PM.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Actually most of those points you've raised are and have been or are being addressed Izi.

Trust me nepotism doesn't ever come into it - gee I temp banned you and I like you.

Mods and helpers have a FB group where we discuss issues on the site on a regular basis, as not all mods can access certain parts of the forum. And we don't hang out there constantly. Only active people are included. Please remember, just because a mod doesn't post, it doesn't mean they aren't helping out elsewhere. Ilyaekae is around when he can log in and he'll never be demoted as long as he lives. The main problem is all the Admin and Mods are volunteers and do this in their spare time. I work full time and still put in 3 to 5 hours a day (it can be a lot more), everyday (including Christmas) here, and the rest do what they can, which is why we have so many, but we do need more for some stuff. I'm pretty cautious in asking anyone to be a mod, as not everyone has the temperament required, but I have my eye on a couple of members.

Rules for members and mods are being drawn up and are currently being revised. We understand the need for clear rules on both sides.

Complaints are never ignored, though we may not always agree with them, that doesn't mean they haven't been addressed. We get far more than 50 posts a day here.

Disputed posts are not perma deleted, only spam and duplicated ones are.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Actually most of those points you've raised are and have been or are being addressed Izi.

Trust me nepotism doesn't ever come into it - gee I temp banned you and I like you.

Mods and helpers have a FB group where we discuss issues on the site on a regular basis, as not all mods can access certain parts of the forum. And we don't hang out there constantly. Only active people are included. Please remember, just because a mod doesn't post, it doesn't mean they aren't helping out elsewhere. Ilyaekae is around when he can log in and he'll never be demoted as long as he lives. The main problem is all the Admin and Mods are volunteers and do this in their spare time. I work full time and still put in 3 to 5 hours a day (it can be a lot more), everyday (including Christmas) here, and the rest do what they can, which is why we have so many, but we do need more for some stuff. I'm pretty cautious in asking anyone to be a mod, as not everyone has the temperament required, but I have my eye on a couple of members.

Rules for members and mods are being drawn up and are currently being revised. We understand the need for clear rules on both sides.

Complaints are never ignored, though we may not always agree with them, that doesn't mean they haven't been addressed. We get far more than 50 posts a day here.

Disputed posts are not perma deleted, only spam and duplicated ones are.
    "Demoted" is the keyword in your understanding here, and in the understanding of most amateurs who run forums. being a moderator is not some privilege, and moderators should step down when they are not working on the site. Too many forums treat moderators like some sort of upper class on the forums and this doesn't work so well for the health of a forum. This sentimentality will get you hacked again and again and again. Also when people see a forum leader that hasn't posted since March, and it's December...that cries DEAD FORUM NO ONE AT THE HELM.

It's so fucking stupid that CA got hacked, with all of these "admins" and mods.

Gee I'm not a moderator and I have a perfectly okay time posting and interacting with my friends. I certainly don't think being a moderator would be a promotion. But I have an understanding of website administration and forum administration and know that it's more of an impedence to having fun on a site if all you can ever do when you go there is see work that needs to be done.

Good contributors are best left as normal members, imo. It's not the army or a social club. If you are not doing a job you should not have access to vbulletin tools. This is simply good webmastership and any webmaster would agree with me that it is the proper and safe way to do things. My sites, especially vbulletin sites, HAVE NEVER BEEN HACKED. EVER. Have they tried? Yes. One site is particularily hated in China.

If you are doing and avoiding all of the things that I mentioned then I have no suggestions for the site. I can tell you it was not this way in the past and this has lead to the state we find ca.org in today. I looked around today and I like all of the changes to the board and the new legal section, everything is a lot cleaner and more well organized

good that you banned me I thought I was perma banned for insulting someone who worked at Mobage. I have no idea why you banned me or how long it was but im sure it was because I yelled at someone for being an idiot.

Last edited by Izi; December 29th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
    ---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Black Spot,
    I'm not sure how you can say that about the mods etc. If for example you look at the bottom of the Lounge threads it lists 12 mods for this section. At least 8 or more of them have not been on in YEARS.

Thanks
    For me, the site has to reassess what it is offering it's users. I have previously mentioned that I think we should look at pursuing the idea of offering aspiring professionals the opportunity to put out merchandise; Look books, a best of CA annual, apparel etc. This would give people the opportunity to experience the professional process of the creative industries, and CA could take a small processing fee from each project to help maintain the site. That way the artist is acquiring experience, a small cash return, and contributing to the community.

The second point that I would like to suggest is that the main reason I came to this site ten years ago was it offered kids like myself the opportunity to engage with professional practitioners, and through that experience gain both insight and skills.
    So we need to consider how we can bridge that gap again, possibly look building a bridge between CA members and industry, because that is what this is all about, taking a kids dream of working in art and design and making that a reality.

One last point, I fully appreciate that the running costs of site like this must be substantial, but I am unconvinced that asking people to donate cash for a service that has seen such a decline in recent years is certainly bordering on the inappropriate, even more so when you factor in that a great deal of people left here due to scandal, and issues with unpaid dues.

Thanks
    Hiya!

I was reading this discussion and I thought I would give a viewpoint from someone who is new. Of course this is just one newbie's thoughts. When I first came here, I thought the site was dead. It made me a bit sad, but it had lots of information so I started reading it. Most of the information threads were months or years old so i assumed the forum had become more of an archive than an active forum. This especially seemed true when I went to the intro thread and saw all this intro of new and excited members who had 0 replies. Because in most cases, active forums greet their new members in order to make them feel welcomed and to show its a thriving community. Usually a mod comes in and points them to important threads they need to read.

Still, I decided to join anyway, but I didn't expect it'll be active, but I thought, "Hey, maybe I'll meet some of those newbies and we can hang even if the community is dead." So I made an intro thread and to my surprise people responded, including Black Spot (which I believe is an admin or mod, it doesn't really say, but the name is a different color). So I thought, oh, maybe they are active after all. I was pretty excited. So I started reading around more. I noticed that some of the rules and 'you should read' threads contradicted each other, so I wasn't sure which I should listen to, so I just decided to do some trial and error on learning the boards.

I really like the Sketchbook area and it seemed the most active part of the board. A lot of links didn't work on some of the information boards and several of the threads teaching painting or art would show a process but then the pictures embedded would be missing, so whatever they were teaching I couldn't learn. So that was a bit disappointing.

When I went to the activities thread, I was excited, but soon felt disappointed. Not because it wasn't active (though the activity was low), but most of them said the activity wasn't for beginners. But there really didn't seem to be any activities that were for beginners. So it felt sort of like I have to get good at art, before I could actually participate in the community. Which made me sad, because I was hoping to do activities and beginners competitions would be a nice way for me to practice art. Like Daily Sketch it specifically says in the rules, it is not for beginners. The Character of the Week, so if you're not professional level you don't get to poll or post in the finals. Which is all perfectly fine. I think pro artists or ones close to that level should have their own activities for them too. I just wish there were more for people who are starting out and excited to learn. I think the only one I can really participate in was Spartan, which I fully intend to do, once the new spartan thread is started.

Also, I wondered why there wasn't a comic forum, but there seemed to be lots of people who were interested and did comics. So in order to find information about comics I had to do a search, instead of having a hub for it. My end goal is to do comics and animations. I was excited to see an animation forum, but wondered if there is an animation one why not a comic one. I loved the POW subforum, but it doesn't have discussion threads and I wasn't sure I could just start one up there. Also it had a single thread for none-competition comics, but it felt very constrained, since you don't want to bog the thread down with tons of your comic pages, etc.

Anyway! That was my first impression as a newbie. Despite that I'm excited about being here, because I'm optimistic that things will get better.

Thanks
    I sort of like JohnPrince's idea of a best of CA annual. That certainly would encourage a lot more activity. For many of the amateurs trying to get published it would be a better option than all of those work for publicity offers. However there would have to be some way to opt. in and out because of copyright issues with pro works. It could become like Spectrum for CA and even make it into book stores for non-member collectors.

Thanks
    Ooh! I like that idea of an annual.

nyghtrain, I know exactly what you mean about missing images and links. We're trying to get them better organised and kill the broken ones - it just takes time. It's one of the reasons we prefer images to be hosted on the forum as opposed from outside hosts, where members can accidentally delete an image without thinking the effect it would have here. And, yes, I agree beginners are not well catered in the activities - it used to be that they were divided into different ability levels on the same challenge, but fewer numbers have made that not possible. I don't think it should matter what level you are, because trying to push yourself is always going to help, so enter and see what you can come up with. A lot of people do their comics in their SBs, and we have had some in the Finally Finished forum.

Thanks
    I think that an annual would be a way of generating enthusiasm for the community while also re-establishing the sentiment of what CA is/used to be about, that is the support and development of aspiring artists.
    If this does become a viable project you would have to think about which disciplines to include, being a graphic designer I would like to see that area given some exposure, and I also think that photography, animation, should be given a section.

It would also be interesting to have contributions from members about their year in industry, education, or whatever path they had been following that year. This would serve to break up the content, and allow the product to connect with people from all backgrounds/levels.

Thanks
    Okay, I have to log in to view the forums after so many clicks now? How is this not alienating to casual traffic? It's too much of an "exclusive" thing to do with a site that's struggling in traffic as it is.

Just an honest concern..

Look at the ratio of members to guests(the "what's going on" section at the bottom of the forum home). Maybe some or many of those guest were intending log in anyways, yeah - but, what about the ones that are just passing on through?
    "There are currently 742 users online. 49 members and 693 guests"

Last edited by wardrum; January 25th, 2014 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    Has anybody looked at the company at the very bottom of the forum?

Supported by GetMediaWise Ltd. http://www.getmediawise.com/clients/

Here are some websites they supported with intentions of optimizing traffic:
    http://www.icdri.org/
    http://www.acq.nl/
    http://www.alexander-rose.co.uk/

Is this company really in charge of all the "optimizations" going on here?

Thanks
    Thanked 10,914 Times in 2,483 Posts
    my mistake...

the getmediawise group is actually a web marketing company out of the uk that is assisting ca.o with hosting right now...which is very kind of them and above and beyond the call of duty. They are doing some search engine stuff to drive more traffic to your threads and such. All whitehat...all above board.

The changes you are seeing now are mostly being done by me

jason

Last edited by Jason Manley; January 25th, 2014 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks
    new top toolbar is in...easier to access your pm's and friend requests now, as well as get notifications and quick access to your profile and such.

new memberlist is in, allows for adding friends.

new seo tools are in to help drive traffic to your threads.

new points sbystem is in and tallying at the moment. will allow users to level up and actually get cool stuff once we finish this part and announce the new program.

thanks system is fixed.

thread thumbnails...the millions of them...are all rebuilding right now. will take a few days. go servers go.

in the quick links above is a follow users feature so you can keep updated

friends inviter is in.

more to come...

Last edited by Jason Manley; January 25th, 2014 at 11:44 PM.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    btw...thank you all for such thoughtful comments. this is super helpful and I will read them all in full. great stuff!!

Jason

Thanks
    btw...thank you all for such thoughtful comments. this is super helpful and I will read them all in full. great stuff!!

Jason

Thanks
    Maybe I'm not seeing the full effect of all these changes come to fruition just yet. Maybe these changes really could revitalize this site. But... It just seems like adding more stuff to an already disorganized pile isn't the way to fix the issues. This site used to be simple, easy and functional(very practical). Maybe it will be more functional soon but the simple and easy part of it seems to be taking a back seat to these newfangled add-ons.

I really don't want to come off as just a box of complaints, but it's because I love how this site has contributed to the growth of a fantastic artistic community.

Thanks
    The "similar threads" thing seems like a pretty bad idea, honestly, unless threads are locked after no activity for a certain amount of time, or if it's only used in discussion sections. (I worry about browsing, especially from new users, leading to a lot of thread necros and critique on 8-year-old work.) Also, I hope there'll be a way to turn off the top bar; it may just be me, but I barely use settings, PMs, and so forth, so it's a bit intrusive. Maybe there are people who use these features a lot, so it would be super cool if it were optional.

Also, with all these changes, please please please make one of them changing the link colour, or giving it an underline or something. Links are really easy to miss in among a regular block of text.

(Just so it's not all complaints, I do think it's awesome that the forum's getting a cleanup, so thanks for taking the time!)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Revidescent For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Jason. Alot of these new changes are really nice. I like the bar on the right to let users know whats the hot topics etc, havnt checked eeverying, but thew new slim layout is also very nice. thanks

Thanks
    Quick question is the site going to go back to the neutral color or is this new white backgorund here to stay? This white is bloody awful

Thanks
    i LIKE the changes.

Lookin' forward to seeing some stuff in the Start! sub thread and the beginners subforum is a grand idea.

Never Attempt the Possible;attempt the impossible and even if you fail,you'll fall among the stars.

Thanks
    we are going to go with a white background for now...the theme will get finished this week as it takes time..its wip right now.

the similar threads is actually a really good feature but not for obvious reasons. unlike facebook which your posts are just lost in the netherworld, google spiders ca.o daily, as does yahoo, baidu and the rest....and those spiders will pick up those extra links and cause your threads to get picked up by the search engines, meaning people will find your work and the site a lot easier. over half our traffic comes from google...the more people that find ca.o the better.

Thanks
    we are going to go with a white background for now...the theme will get finished this week as it takes time..its wip right now.

the similar threads is actually a really good feature but not for obvious reasons. unlike facebook which your posts are just lost in the netherworld, google spiders ca.o daily, as does yahoo, baidu and the rest....and those spiders will pick up those extra links and cause your threads to get picked up by the search engines, meaning people will find your work and the site a lot easier. over half our traffic comes from google...the more people that find ca.o the better.

Thanks
    Colours are strange at moment... and yeah, the similar-thread links are a weird thing. I don't like it that the site is editing links into posts without the thread opener wanting it. It's confusing from my point of view. I don't bother if we have such links again under the threads like in the old times. Now it gives a wrong impression of people promoting threads, but in reality no one has an idea what's popping up behind the links.

edit: okay, now I posted at the same time as Jason.

Hm. Well, I have to wait until the colour scheme is finished, so far I don't like the white and I don't see how it is helping. This isn't Facebook that is okay-ish with its white and blue

Last edited by JuliaMetzger; January 27th, 2014 at 04:29 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,393 Posts
    I like the grayscale color palette, assuming that the remnants of the old brown one in forms and attachments will go eventually, but it would be better to darken the gray a bit. Keep the text background light, but don't make the page background white, it doesn't improve viewing of the images.

But, frankly, guys, before messing with the unnecessary "badges" and "friends" stuff, please focus on the more basic things. Like fixing the doublepost bug which alternates between scolding you for nonexistent doublepost, or (recently) duplicates the text in your posts. Or making sure the notifications on subscribed threads work.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the grayscale color palette, assuming that the remnants of the old brown one in forms and attachments will go eventually, but it would be better to darken the gray a bit. Keep the text background light, but don't make the page background white, it doesn't improve viewing of the images.

But, frankly, guys, before messing with the unnecessary "badges" and "friends" stuff, please focus on the more basic things. Like fixing the doublepost bug which alternates between scolding you for nonexistent doublepost, or (recently) duplicates the text in your posts. Or making sure the notifications on subscribed threads work.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 284