Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: So what is the fate of ConceptArt.org (and art forums in general)?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts

So what is the fate of ConceptArt.org (and art forums in general)?

So the latest issue on CA has plastered Facebook, and this seems to be the last straw for many, not to mention many people have already left in years past for other mismanagement issues. However many of us have fond memories tied to this site, and perhaps even some degree of loyalty, not to the management but to the community. So what happens?

Many have recently noted that the site was already a shell of its former self; perhaps the site will hobble on as just a shell of that shell. Undoubtedly many people will ignore this issue and keep posting, or just remain unaware of it. Manley still owns the site of course, and chances are he will dance around the issue until things are back to some level of normalcy. This seems like the most likely outcome to me.

Ignoring the abuse from management, I'm curious whether or not people care that CA seems destined for a slow death? Do people even want this sort of mega art forum anymore? It seems that Facebook and Livestream are the new preferred hangouts for much of the concept art community. for example is a high quality website with the features in place to be a "mega-hub" for artists, but activity remains low on the forums (compared to here). In other words, if CA came under new management, got rid of the stupid banners, took a stand against censorship, became more organized and community-focused, etc, etc... would people even bother? Most importantly, would professional artists bother? (Not that beginner artists are unimportant, but it's the pros that drive traffic and do the most to cultivate an educational experience.)

This thread is not about Manley, but about ConceptArt.org and what's going to / what should happen with it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    An issue I've been thinking about is that big forum communities seem destined towards slow death, already.
    The format is being supplanted by more immediate formats like tumblr and other microsites.
    People in essence now broadcast without the necessity of big clunky formats.
    So I'm not sure in this day and age something like CA could happen again.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to skullsquid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't think it will die, people come and go, some will leave because of this, some won't, new people will come.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I feel like Facebook, Tumblr, and even Reddit have become what art message boards used to be, at least for me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Main Loop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Main Loop View Post
    I feel like Facebook, Tumblr, and even Reddit have become what art message boards used to be, at least for me.
    That's pretty much the same situation I found myself in.
    DON'T CLICK THIS

Thanks
    Same here. I'm okay with that for the most part. The only thing I'll miss is that CA was almost like boot camp. We saw other artists in the trenches, we encouraged them to keep going, gave them advice, and we've helped many of them grow into pros. You don't really get that on Facebook or tumblr.

12. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Alas, as awesome as CA used to be, I agree that forums just aren't really a viable medium these days. If you want activity, art groups on facebook / tumblr and such are much more the standard these days. I still don't know if there's a solid place to post stuff and just get critiques on it, but facebook definitely provides an interface to develop a community with other artists and you could easily get to know someone that you can bounce work back and forth with.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Andantonius For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    That is true. I don't think people are as interested in honest critique in such a public forum. There is a benefit to the semi-anonymity of a forum. I do think there was a bit of going over-board here too(even before this place imploded), where giving a critique became more important than actual improvement. This place also got really big, and propped up a lot of its stars above all else. Once all the big pros got too busy to post regularly and give feedback, people started losing interest in posting for feedback. Then when all the bad shit started happening, it really went downhill.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Main Loop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Honestly most of the Facebook stuff I follow from artists and such are mainly individual artists just posting their stuff as they go. Rarely community based things. (Or at least not where I'm looking). Then it also feels like more and more ass pats and less constructive crit since there's less anonymity I guess. Someone gets annoying and psycho on you they at least don't know your name (which for me having an odd name that's easily searchable is annoying). At least for Facebook and such.

The big named artists in general seem to have vanished from most forums and most other art forums I've seen are deadish. These drama explosions happened then a lot of them I guess just were turned off in general. Broke off and did their own sites or such and basically are in the mode of "Hey, follow me on *insert social media site here*.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There's nothing that prevents us from making our own forums. I'm sure we could even reach out to the people at and see what we could do to liven up that forum. I'm sure they'd love to have us. At any rate, if it costs money we could all chip in. At least we'd know where money was going.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to twinkledust9000 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I would be very happy if the spirit of CA moved on to . I haven't used it a whole lot but it's a nice site.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    I can't deal with facebook. It turns great friends into pests that TYPE IN ALL CAPS AN CANT SPELOL. I also can't speak freely in front of bosses, family members and people you need to adjust your social filter for.
    Forums are great for honest, well thought feedback. They're a finite area. Not an endless ocean like Deviantart.

I think has the best presentation. It's just not as fun.
    A good Forum to join is Crimson Daggers. Still not so good for exposure though. Not much outside traffic.
    EDIT: deleted previous link as crimson daggers admins have suggested.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; March 6th, 2013 at 08:20 PM.

24. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    For a long time (and still is), this site has been the first site I'd visit every morning when I open up my browser. I'm not the most active when it comes to posting stuff but the discussions and critiques here have an honesty and intrigue that feels very different to those you get on facebook/tumblr. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough but most discussions that I encounter on these other social media sites seem to be short and vague in some areas.

could just be the nature of those mediums but I've yet to encounter another site that has the same blend of illustration and concept art that has the amazing amount of in-depth discussions and conversations. On most other sites, I've barely come across long drawn out criticism like those we get in the Art Discussion where there's pages and pages of information, people constantly posting references, quotes, and the like. the vibe that I get from a lot of those places is like "oh look, so and so made a cool concept, awesome got anymore? awesome." There's more sharing and not enough critical discussion/criticism.
    Sketchbook

Support Group:
    jtaart | mrianna | Kashmir

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to M-Min For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Page 1 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast