Chimera Creature - Help

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chimera Creature - Help

I am working on a chimera creature it is for a fantasy image that I have in mind. I was wondering if the porporitions of this creature is correct.
    I will be fixing the feet on this creature as well. I have just noticed that I had forgotten the snake tail soon. I will also be fixing the feet.

Critiques are welcome

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

The proportions are looking very off unfortunately.
    You need to go back and plan this more carefully if you intend to carry this piece further.
    Firstly, drawing this completely in 2D does not showcase the creature well at all. In addition, it makes for boring composition.
    I did a quick redraw to give you some ideas on how to approach this differently.
    1. Make sure you ground your figure properly - think of this Chimera existing in 3D not 2D.
    2.Use references and simple shapes to build up the mass - everything looks made up right now with no relation to reality.
    3. Reposition heads - have them do something interesting, its a good chance to play with different angles.
    4.Reference, reference, reference - it may be a imagined creature, but you are using elements of animals in the real world. You won't fool the viewer easily if your base work is weak.

Good luck, it may seem a lot of work but practice makes perfect.

Name:  chimera.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  156.8 KB

---------------------------------------------------
    EZpaint's Finished Work: Here

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EZpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EZPaint I want to thank you for your advice. As I took a look at my first creature drawing I realized it is 2d which I didn't want.

I need to think 3d when I draw on my tablet.

This is what I have done with this image

Any Critiques would be appreciated.

Name:  2ndcreature.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  95.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,435 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spanishrose View Post
    I need to think 3d when I draw on my tablet.
    You need to think 3d when you draw, anywhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to be brutally honest with you; you're not ready for something as complex as this. You don't yet understand how forms work in space, nor how the skeletal structure of a quadrupedal animal works (let alone the muscle structure), the proportions are all over the place and the fact that you're trying to do this digitally is only hampering you; the lines are very wobbly and uneven.

If I may suggest, grab yourself a pen(cil) and ten pieces of paper and first work on all the different animals that make a chimera. Draw goats, snakes, lions and lizards as they are in reality. Look up their skeletons and learn about how they work, where the joints are and which way they bend, you can find all the necessary images in Google. Focus on the proportions of their bones, the structures of their faces and how the shapes bend away and towards you into space. Think of them in geometrical forms; spheres, cylinders, cubes. Fill up those papers with sketches and studies and then try to draw this creature again; it will still not be perfect, but chances are it'll be a whole deal better than what you've got now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I certainly need to think 3d on this. I didn't even think about doing sketches of those animals which is a great idea. I will sketch them onto paper and post to get some critiques on them. Hopefully I will have some over the weekend to show you guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these images are not the best my scanner wasn't working so I had to take these with my camera instead.
    I have been drawing some skeletons which are lion, squirrel, lizard and goat. Sorry that I have not been here recently been busy with the value studies and work.
    I have also had some problems with getting these correct. All that I did was worked with brightness and contrast so that you can see these better.

I would appreciate some feedback on this since I want to do this chimera. I will be getting the snake soon.
    Thank you

Name:  four skeletons.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  238.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update:

Here is the snake

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Name:  cobra.jpg
Views: 73
Size:  107.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey buddy, can I ask you how old you are and what your goals are? The fact that you're taking good advice and practicing is a great sign. I think you need to go further back though and begin building some basic fundamental understanding. This means starting from square one and studying very very basic forms. This will build your powers of observation, understanding, and you'll begin to learn how to control your line. Check out http://barnstonestudios.com/learn-to-draw-videos/
    I learned alot from him as well as lots of books and practice with basics.

-start a revolution.

AnimationSamurai.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have always been fascinated with how people can work digitally and I wanted to give that a try. I am a traditional artist (acrylics) but I did stop drawing which I am finding out that I need to really practice, practice, practice constantly. I really suck at it now and I regret not keeping that up. Boy, it really hurt me when I stopped. Anyway I want to learn and I will be working towards that goal. I want to learn as much as I can and I have been coming here on a daily basis to learn.

I have the time to do this now that I am semi-retired. Right now it is a hobby for me but I have been thinking going further with this. I had a sketchbook but I haven't been able to find that yet so I will be starting a new one probably in a few weeks once I have better drawings. As for the Chimera I have decided to redo those drawings. I printed a goat skeleton so that I can use a grid and draw it. I had forgotten about that for shame on me. I will also be doing the others that I have done. I want to be able to help others and teach but before doing that I need to learn 'HOW" first.

DanielBodinof I looked at the link you gave to me I would love to be able to purchase the dvd's but I don't have that kind of money for that. I have been going to idrawgirls for some anatomy drawings and I have been practicing. I know I have a very, very long road ahead of me with this but It is better than sitting at home being bored and watching tv all day. I want to do something constructive with myself and have a challenge that I can do on drawings and digital paintings. Once I am determined I will do what it takes to get there.

Everyone here says that Loomis is the one to learn from and I have been looking for that. Not sure where to get it so I will look here on CA and hopefully will find it so that I can learn from him. I have been reading this thread http://www.conceptart.org/showthread.php?t=26636 and that I have learned so much and am motivated to continue with this art. I probably won't post for a couple of weeks I want to get my chimera down and I hope to get that sketchbook up to post in there as much as possible.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.