The Royalty Problem - News: Brad got paid from TAD - Page 29

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Izi View Post
    lawyers save you money....

The Royalty Problem - News: Brad got paid from TAD

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Izi.

Shut up.

DON'T CLICK THIS

5. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to skullsquid For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://vimeo.com/22053820
    maybe this has been posted here before, and i'm sorry for posting if it has been (not gonna read through 25 pages to find out lol)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by izi View Post
    lawyers save you money. I guess his point was to have .000002% of the art world think of him as a crazy greedy petulant a-hole?

Whatever.
    Name:  1356940212735.gif
Views: 547
Size:  1.13 MB

There's always THAT guy...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To reiterate what I said to creeptool earlier. If you don't understand what this thread is about, or even the most basic of legal processes, rather don't post. Typing replies for the sake of it will only hurt you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,009 Times in 538 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This thread has been going on so long I doubt many people jumping in even could know what's going on. Hell I've been following all 29 pages and I'm still slightly fuzzy.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So when are we getting that lawyer info or whatever?

BLAHBLAHBLAH

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Your absoloutely right. It should continue until every artist that's come forward has been paid and every artist that hasn't come forward will never have to. Even if it goes on for a hundred more.
    This thread should never have had to happen. I will not drop a single penny on this site until this matter is resolved. If monetizing the site ever comes up again it will be time to bump this thread.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,536 Times in 3,727 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That was a spambot I just deleted if anyone is wondering - hidden links

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obvious troll is obvious (izi)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JFierce View Post
    This thread has been going on so long I doubt many people jumping in even could know what's going on. Hell I've been following all 29 pages and I'm still slightly fuzzy.
    well they can fill themselves in, Sorknes summed it up here. a few pages from there on are worth reading, too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My understanding was that Brad Rigney's DA post wasn't about the money but about getting things out in the open. Lawyering up and losing money by going after whoever was at fault would have been the correct thing to do for the principle of it. He could then have publically announced that TAD/Jason/CA or whoever had been caught doing illegal things, and no one could have disagreed because he'd have had legal documentation and a court ruling to prove it. That he didn't and went after the money (giving some of it to charity after the fact is all well and good but doesn't change the initial name and shame action) says the principle wasn't as important as getting paid or triggering an online smear campaign.

Something to think about.

Also. Heroes? Sorry, but that's a nonsense. I've never wasted my time with that kind of groupie thinking. And it is a waste of time, and always a disappointment, because the people you put up on those hero pedestals will always come up lacking. Everyone is a human being, everyone, including all the so-called heroes posting on one side or the other of this debacle. They are not art gods, nor is Jason a forum figurehead to be put up on a pedestal and have roses thrown at him when people love him or shit when they don't. They are all just people with flaws and fuck-ups, just like the rest of us.

As for inspiration? Go to a gallery or someone's blog and look at their art. Their personalities and how they comport themselves in life, online or in business is irrelevant.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Candra H For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason asked that I might let you all know that he is taking a small break fro CA for a few days. He has been working tirelessly for weeks on the workshop, updating CA, and other projects, along with more recently, defending his name. Yesterday his dog, Monster, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly.

Jason has gotten the ball rolling with the lawyers for the audit. This takes time, but is underway. Answers are coming.

If you have suggestions for how CA can improve and be the community you want it to be please add your thoughts at http://conceptart.org/forums/artist-...ideas-3-a.html .

Please use those great human traits of compassion and kindness and allow Jason a few days to grieve and rest, at which point he can address your concerns again.

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaitlinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,055 Times in 944 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Oh that's horrible...
    Monsters passing is very unexpected
    Jason loves the dog, had him for a long time, i know him too, met Monster and Moose years ago.
    Moose died and Monster was all he had.
    Seriously, that's all very bad luck, Jason had a lot on his plate already without all the shit going on.

One of my cats died about 3 weeks ago, that did break my hearth, its very tough especially if you
    see your pet as a family member.

So sorry to hear that

Last edited by Randis; March 12th, 2013 at 09:04 AM.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

26. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Randis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,520 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Randis View Post
    One of my cats died about 3 weeks ago, that did break my hearth, its very tough especially if you
    see your pet as a family member. Horrible...
    Yeah it feel like your brother or sister just fell ill and died.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really sorry to hear about Jason's dog. That must be tough to deal with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Randis View Post
    Oh that's horrible...

see your pet as a family member.

So sorry to hear that
    My parents cat was really sick by the end of last year and it was devastating, he's ok now, but at the moment was a horrible feeling, losing somebody that has been with me for 15 years.

My deepest condolences both for you and Jason.

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys, I don't want to take everyone away from the devastation of our dead pets, but I came at an awkward time to ask an unrelated question.

I have bought the pre-recorded classes on Anatomy, Female figure drawing, and Color Theory 2-3 years ago. They were old back then and are older now. I only watched the anatomy one at the time. I was having trouble with female figure drawing because the audio was not synced properly or something, and haven't watched the color theory video because I am stupid.

Are those gone now? I do remember in the contract it mentioned that the videos are not ever going to expire, so I really hope I can watch the two I missed...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did anyone else here do the first live streaming composition class Jason did back in 2009? It was 2 hours late because Monster went missing, (slipped out the gate and had gone looking for romance, is my guess). Everyone hung on while the search went on. Jason came on a couple of times with updates. You could tell the stress he was under, 100+ people waiting online, new tech, new material AND a missing dog. Anyway, Monster turned up eventually and a very relieved Jason started the class (which was well worth the wait). He also promised free downloads to everyone, not that that was necessary, and duly sent out the links a couple of days later. I'll never forget that class, or that dog

Anyway, sorry to hear of your loss Jason. And to you too Randis.

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D0ming0 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by D0ming0 View Post
    Did anyone else here do the first live streaming composition class Jason did back in 2009? It was 2 hours late because Monster went missing, (slipped out the gate and had gone looking for romance, is my guess). Everyone hung on while the search went on. Jason came on a couple of times with updates. You could tell the stress he was under, 100+ people waiting online, new tech, new material AND a missing dog. Anyway, Monster turned up eventually and a very relieved Jason started the class (which was well worth the wait). He also promised free downloads to everyone, not that that was necessary, and duly sent out the links a couple of days later. I'll never forget that class, or that dog

Haha, yeah, class was excellent and well worth the wait. Classes like that are what make me want to have faith in Jason, hard as it may be at times.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by D0ming0 View Post

Yup. I was there for both sessions.

To echo Pavel, I know a lot of users were asking, it was one thing to buy the downloads person now has copy and can review them, but people have purchased the streaming classes and no longer have access to them. Is there anyone going to remedy that?

Last edited by Arshes Nei; March 12th, 2013 at 11:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Withdrawn.

Last edited by Raoul Duke; March 14th, 2013 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,146 Times in 2,693 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First, thank you for bringing the on demand stuff to my attention. As soon as I saw the comments, we got going to do what we could here on CA. It's actually nice to hear that folks still want to watch those older TAD videos. Everyone worked hard on those and the content is solid. Those were the very first live streaming art demos like that online, was the first time anyone had done that to my knowledge, and those vids saved this site from having to go subscription in order to pay the server bills back then. The folks in here asking about them are a key reason this site is free today. So thank you.

Since so many of the livestream style videos are free now, as artists use them for promotion, there has been something I have been wanting to get done for a while and that is to have a solid library up and online. We spent about 16 hours today finishing server transfers, updating code with the programmer's help and getting the on demand links back up on CA, which were fortunately still linked through our forums (and not turned off at livestream as I had thought), so those that previously purchased them can continue to access the content as usual. We got some good stuff done today.

So peeps are aware, inquiries regarding videos (streaming or downloads), or regarding any technical issues with Livestream can be sent to TAD directly as CA.O does not, just as in the case of the downloads, handle any video sales, nor does it have any ability to just put them back up for sale for everyone. The email to TAD is info@theartdepartment.org If you previously paid for a streaming class and cannot find your password, or have any other questions or concerns about those videos, the email above will reach the right person. Scott Richeson has handled that step for years, and that email will reach him directly. If you do not get a response or want a more instant response I believe TAD's live chat feature on it's site will reach the appropriate parties there during business hours (Central US time).

Moving forward, we also built custom code to showcase the community's and the industry artists streaming videos done on livestream (others like ustream and justin.tv are in progress), and the pre-recorded goodies on youtube that exist but are not easily found. Here is the link to show that it is up and working. Anyone is now able to add livestream and youtube video tutorials there, take advantage of the traffic if you are an artist doing it for promo, and see these free public channels shared on the boards: http://www.conceptart.org/forumdisplay.php?f=249

I really appreciate all the kind letters, support, and warmth regarding the passing of my best bud, my guardian, and my loyal Monsterman. He was at my side for almost ten years, traveled the world with me, went to many of the workshops, and was adept at making people love him. He had a lot of friends on CA too, a few of whom he stayed with frequently and whom he was like family with them too. We were bonded completely and he was a total champ in my life. So, please know that I appreciate the sensitivity there. His loss feels no different than the loss of my close friend in high school or that of an immediate family member. So thanks for the understanding. I miss him like crazy and more than any words can express.

With that said, there is more to do this week. I am looking forward to clearing the air and as said multiple times, will do so.

Last edited by Jason Manley; March 14th, 2013 at 06:02 AM.
    LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

38. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by paperX View Post
    We don't need 4.0 update to bring CA back to it's former glory, we just need Manley gone.
    Your post captured my attention, not because I agree or disagree, per se, although I do disagree,
    because CA's former glory only ever even existed because Jason & Co Founded this place!!!

The main reason it captured my attention is because I think this is a sorry state of community, and a truly shabby thing to say.

Everything that exists, and every body who lives in this world, exists by virtue of their relationship to one another,
    no one is ever truly alone, even though they may feel that way. Why do I say this?
    Because of your, and many other people's, attacks on Jason Manley, who is a living, breathing, thinking feeling human, not some infallible corporate machine. I want to remind you to be human.

It's so easy to let things out behind a keyboard, which you would never truly dream of saying to a person's face, isn't it?

Now, I won't pretend to know all of the ins and outs of the situation, because quite simply I don't.
    I read Brad's journal entries, and did feel a slight pull, noticing I could be swayed this way and that,
    but then I came to my senses and realized, FUCKING UNITE! WE ARE A COMMUNITY!
    THE WORD UNITY IS IN COMMUNITY FOR A REASON.

We are ARTISTS! We are CREATIVE! If someone in the community which we are members of -by choice- does something we think is below the belt, then the first thing to do should not be to disown them, if that is truly the case, but to summon them to do what we think they are truly worthy of.

When I was young, I asked my father if the world was truly black and white in the past, because the photos were taken in black and white. sometimes I wonder if that's how people see it today; Duality much? Don't you get it? The colours you see outside of yourself are not just outside of you! Situations aren't as simple as RIGHT and WRONG, Right and LEFT are just two directions in the 6 directions of SPACE, the most important being the hidden 7th in the centre; to go within and TRULY LOVE YOURSELF.

Learn to live in this unique moment, and face infinity, to see the fragile balance which this planet is in, recognize and come to terms with your role as a guardian and custodian of its vast beauty, something which you get to see a great deal of, if you open your eyes, whilst others are born to seemingly endless suffering, for who knows what reason? Even if you believe in reincarnation, You will NEVER be who you are, right now.
    Isn't that enough reason to be kind?

Quite honestly, The only life-form that behaves this way, with cells attacking it from the inside, such as you can find plenty of examples of in this thread, is Cancer; Growth and movement in one direction without consideration or remorse.

If you think you can do a better job, then step up to the plate, but don't even bother saying "all we need is xyz person to leave" without offering any of your own solutions, Because that is nothing but destructive, and not worthy of you. For all of the thousands, possibly millions, of transactions, that have gone on, since the inception of ca.org, how many incidences like this have there truly been?

You know, the way I see it, when we start arguing and hurling shit at one another like this, we've already lost.
    Society has a nasty habit of setting parameters on things which it deems are acceptable, and once you fall outside of those parameters, you then become hated, abused and "free game" or a "valid target", this is a really good reason to be an individual and have a moral and physical back-bone; to not fall into judging and hating and wishing ill on someone else, just because they "step out of line"; What line!?

The weird lines which we have gotten so used to using because we can't conceive of living in a world without money, without hierarchy, and so have weird issues with authority figures, because we are scared of accepting the full responsibility on being the one we already are? So what do we do?
    Just fight it and wish it weren't so?

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
    To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”

As for me, I am grateful, grateful to him, grateful to all the people who put energy into founding this place, keeping it running, and for the things I have learned here, seen, hints I've picked up, places I've gone because of recommendations, the workshops, but most of all, just plain grateful to have the knowledge that a place like this exists where like-minded people whom I can somewhat understand and communicate with, come together, and DO NOT WANT TO SEE DESTROYED because of in-fighting and people not seeing their common bond with one another.

Imagine if your comments actually got through, and he just decided, "ok, I'm out of here"

Maybe some day, and I hope soon, people will realize how close they all really are to one another, and how much of an impact every single thing we do here, has on one another, then, instead of wasting so much of our energy on -Keeping people, and the things they say, OUT- we will be able to combine our energies for a grander purpose.

And don't misunderstand me, I considered your comment, and I am not arguing with you, in a black and white sense, I just wish you would come to a higher level. I value your input, it's better for people to say what they believe, even if that is "negative", it's just that I think, some spiritual maturity can be gained, by people simply reflecting on what it would be like to receive their own comments, if they were the person they are aiming at.

In short, Keep living for building, and keep doing what you're doing Jason, I believe in the power of this community, and the good that can be and has been done by it, Thank you Jason, Thank you all the people who have made and contributed to conceptart.org in a major way.

I love you all, I hope you love and accept yourselves, Peace be with you.

40. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to samthemule For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    Ah, there's your problem, mate. You have heroes and leaders.
    Reminds of a quote

“Unconsciously we all have a standard by which we measure other men, and if we examine closely we find that this standard is a very simple one, and is this: we admire them, we envy them, for great qualities we ourselves lack. Hero worship consists in just that. Our heroes are men who do things which we recognize, with regret, and sometimes with a secret shame, that we cannot do. We find not much in ourselves to admire, we are always privately wanting to be like somebody else. If everybody was satisfied with himself, there would be no heroes.”
    ― Mark Twain

Make a sketchbook happy, feed it a tip to improve!

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=85628

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Yup. I was there for both sessions.

To echo Pavel, I know a lot of users were asking, it was one thing to buy the downloads person now has copy and can review them, but people have purchased the streaming classes and no longer have access to them. Is there anyone going to remedy that?
    Ok so I am trying to figure it out. I found this link:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forumdisplay.php?f=170

This seems to have the archive of the live streaming classes. I own (or owned) color theory, female anatomy, and anatomy for artists. Color Theory and Anatomy for Artists is in this forum, but Female Anatomy is gone. Where is it?

I really wish I could check if they work, but my passwords don't seem to be on this computer. I will have to check another computer at my parent's house for them.

If you have your passwords, can you please verify these threads still work? Thank you so much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pavel Sokov View Post
    If you have your passwords, can you please verify these threads still work? Thank you so much.
    Color Theory works for me (password as well as the stream itself) - the others I didn't check.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to Lyraina For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright so I checked and I own 4 classes:
    Female Anatomy, Mood and Emotions, Anatomy for Artists, and Color Theory.

All work still, except that female anatomy has terrible quality visuals and the sound is really off sync. I still have to watch this one and color theory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for checking those and the updates. For any issues with the TAD videos, I posted the info above to reach Scott Richeson who has handled the livestream matters like that from the beginning. Here is his email again info@theartdepartment.org and he will be able to help those of you who paid for the content and on demand access. I believe you can also reach him M-F during business hours (Central US time) via the live chat feature on TAD's website.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Importantly, the first of the formal responses to old rumors, false accusations and serious concerns has been posted: http://www.conceptart.org/showthread...38#post3669538

This is all taking considerable time, and as information is ready for release it will be shared. Thank you for any patience ahead of time.

Last edited by Jason Manley; March 16th, 2013 at 07:55 PM.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Page 29 of 31 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 34