Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast

Thread: The Royalty Problem - News: Brad got paid from TAD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,779 Times in 850 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    You know what's funny?

This is almost like the good ol' days again. I'm seeing quite a few old CA members jumping into the fray, who hardly ever/never post anymore.

Call me crazy but why don't you guys stay???
    Then we might have a fuckin' awesome community again.
    Wouldn't that be grand. But the turd in the punch bowl is too big to keep sippin the kool aide. It feels like by supporting manly we are validating those shitty clients that make you fight tooth and nail to get your money.

Admittedly I'm not committed to jumping ship. I'm going to stick around a little, simply 'cause I want to keep in touch with the community that's staying. I'm also balls deep in the POW challenge right now. But I'm gonna hedge my bets a little. This boat has a hole and it's not going to be pretty when we have to bail it out.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    does anyone have any sites similar to ca that you can post a link or just the name of the sites?... here's a link to a cool site it's not a forum but it has a lot of cool concept art for inspiration http://conceptships.blogspot.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Okaaay... I'm an old-time poster. I got my sheriiff title from Jason because I disagreed with him and faced him head-to-head off the forum. I think I may have used swear words in the convo. Maybe even baaaaaad sweary words. I'm not renowned for backing down if I think I might be right, and I'm not going to ask a single person here to back down.
    One thing I would ask from all the other community members, though, is to hang fire until Friday night. Let's give Jason a chance to clear things up. He has more than one person to deal with to straighten things up, and they need time to respond to him.

I understand why you are all upset (and if you're not, you bloody well should be). We are all members of CA, and anything that affects CA's reputation affects the integrity of each and every one of us. What has happened so far is pants, but it may be fixable. There is only one person who can attempt to fix it. Let's give him space to do that, and then have a discussion, if need be.

I want to keep on being a member of a forum where noobs and pros can be a family. I believe in that concept, but I'm not attempting to tell anyone what to do. Could we maybe give Jason a chance to fix any mistakes that affect the rest of us.

It won't be the first time in my life I've been told to piss off by somebody that disagrees with an idea I've put forward, but how's about it?

6. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creeptool View Post
    does anyone have any sites similar to ca that you can post a link or just the name of the sites?...
    and CG society are similar forums, however there's nothing that comes close to the strong, diverse and close-knit community of CA (or what was once here, anyway).

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterKiller_ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Sometimes the only thing left to an artist who's being abused by a client is to go public. That usually happens after years of correspondence that goes nowhere. It should not be taken lightly. And involving lawyers is not the solution, since invariably they're the ones who come out on top. Contracts are a minor tool that we all should have, but really it only acts as a guide and not a firm enforcement of it's details. So the only powerful tool we have in our meager arsenal is the network we are all a part of. And it usually will get some movement going in the problem once enacted. Don't think that Brad hasn't thought this through and weighed all the options before doing it. At some point we will all be faced with that decision. I know I have a few times now and I didn't have the nerve to do it so I had to eat the loss. But if an artist can step up and take affirmative action like this, we should be applauding it, not deriding it.

As for folks leaving CA or deciding not to go to any workshops coming up because of this; anyone who would do that should probably just leave. This isn't a playground. CA is an important place for those that want to learn and grow. And the forum isn't just by or about specific people. It's a great community of people that keep it going.
    Grave Sight Graphics: The Art of Eric Lofgren.
    elofgren@ telus.net (to use e-mail address please remove space between the '@' and 'telus')

My Art Blog
    My Online Portfolio (Updated Jan. 30/ 2011)
    ~NiNjA~^~mOuNtAiN~^~PoDcAsT~(Working illustrators talking illustration)
    Eric Lofgren's licensible rpg art resource
    Art Director for New Gods of Raanon

10. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Eric Lofgren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I always kept my first CA sb in my signature. It was my first big breakthrough after copying bridgeman cover to cover. it burned down in a fire though. I still refer to it when I feel like I'm not improving. I remember back then I didn't see any problems. Now I look back and see exactly where I've improved. I also look at it when I feel as if I'm not as creative as I used to be.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/sketchb...axe-grind.html
    I remember having to upload via dial up because I lived in the woods. I had photoshop elements and a wacom graphire.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; March 6th, 2013 at 10:56 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cryptcrawler deserves to be treated well with such professionalism and class, but alas this kind of news just makes me feel very awkward to be a part of CA as a forum member. I feel bad for Mr. Rigney and seeing his work on the videos and other places makes me appreciate what he's done over the years. But not only that, it is a sad reality for many of us artists and designers in the industry in any genre to deal with such unprofessional business practices. It's not just CA alone but anywhere else in the world and it's a lesson we all must learn from to never let this happen (or we can try the best we can to contain the problem). I certainly hope that CA/TAD would resolve this matter immediately with Cryptcrawler or else, the name of CA is forever tarnished.

Again, I feel bad and would love to see Cryptcrawler continue to get more work out there. I would love to see his video tutorials but may not be able to hear what he's saying, otherwise may be able to follow what he's doing on there. I think he does have a book out there as well on digital painting?

Ultimately, Brad Rigney/Cryptcrawler, and everyone of us as well, deserves to be treated with the utmost professionalism and respect.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pilgrim1099 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 133 Posts
    What an unfortunate thread. Brad has been wronged ,I have no knowledge and can't speak to what has been communicated or paid out between them but allowances need to be made.

However I want to bring your attention to another concern . I feel I must come clean too. I also haven't been paid any royalties for years on any of my downloads. Anyone want to know why? Is it the unscrupulous practices of the Evil Manley? Some dark Ca.org conspiracy to exploit artists?....... No.
    I thank and acknowledge everyone who has supported artists by purchasing the videos, New download sales are strong for the first few months. But soon after the videos reach a saturation point online, the sales graph nose dives to nearly zero. And that's because the amazingly supportive band of fellow concept art brothers and sisters torrent the videos. So who's upset at the tens of thousands of art students and professionals that have also directly stolen bread out of the mouths of Brads kid's by illegally downloading? Let he that has never torrented a video throw the first stone.

Knowing Jason for 15 years, I have endured more of his mistakes than anyone on these boards, and I won't defend his business or professional practices when it comes to interpersonal artist relations. . I'm sure that Brad has a legitimate concern that is worthy of addressing, and I applaud his courage for bringing this to our attention, but May I bring an even uglier truth to the surface.... as a "community" we may help each other out every now and then; however, we all steal from each other too. And many artists will do whatever it takes to get a little closer to the top. every institution has corruption, Welcome to the industry. The noble pursuit of drawing monsters, demons and villains for money.

But don't pay attention to what I have said. Let's tie a main loop around Jason's neck and stab him with a crimson dagger and watch him crawl into his own crypt. Burn down the CA servers, perhaps future artists can benefit from the downfall and make something more out of the ashes.

....as a gesture from TAD and CA.
    I Vote that they release all existing downloads on the site for FREE

Name:  cryptcrawler.jpg
Views: 1070
Size:  275.5 KB

16. The Following 47 Users Say Thank You to Android For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Android View Post
    What an unfortunate thread. Brad has been wronged ,I have no knowledge and can't speak to what has been communicated or paid out between them but allowances need to be made.

However I want to bring your attention to another concern . I feel I must come clean too. I also haven't been paid any royalties for years on any of my downloads. Anyone want to know why? Is it the unscrupulous practices of the Evil Manley? Some dark Ca.org conspiracy to exploit artists?....... No.
    I thank and acknowledge everyone who has supported artists by purchasing the videos, New download sales are strong for the first few months. But soon after the videos reach a saturation point online, the sales graph nose dives to nearly zero. And that's because the amazingly supportive band of fellow concept art brothers and sisters torrent the videos. So who's upset at the tens of thousands of art students and professionals that have also directly stolen bread out of the mouths of Brads kid's by illegally downloading? Let he that has never torrented a video throw the first stone.

Knowing Jason for 15 years, I have endured more of his mistakes than anyone on these boards, and I won't defend his business or professional practices when it comes to interpersonal artist relations. . I'm sure that Brad has a legitimate concern that is worthy of addressing, and I applaud his courage for bringing this to our attention, but May I bring an even uglier truth to the surface.... as a "community" we may help each other out every now and then; however, we all steal from each other too. And many artists will do whatever it takes to get a little closer to the top. every institution has corruption, Welcome to the industry. The noble pursuit of drawing monsters, demons and villains for money.

But don't pay attention to what I have said. Let's tie a main loop around Jason's neck and stab him with a crimson dagger and watch him crawl into his own crypt. Burn down the CA servers, perhaps future artists can benefit from the downfall and make something more out of the ashes.

....as a gesture from TAD and CA.
    I Vote that they release all existing downloads on the site for FREE
    The Royalty Problem - News: Brad got paid from TAD

18. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to HarbingerofIllRepute For This Useful Post:

Thanks

the plot thickens, another artists says he was screwed out of his royalties

https://www.facebook.com/aurelie.ney...01002989946164

-aurelie.neyret

That sounds way too familiar.
    I too did a tutorial video with ConceptArt / The Art Department, a few years ago. Thank you to all the people who bought it, but I'm sorry to say, if I had the choice I wouldn't do it anymore. The only royalties I got, I had to ask and ask and fight to get them. Now I had no answers or money at all since over a year and a half. It doesn't feel good when you have to beg for what you deserve, you know. And the whole thing is so transparent that you can't even be sure of what they own you anyway. Recently the video is no longer sold on the Art Department website, with no notification of any kind to let me know. So at least I assume they're no longer making money from it. But who knows how much they stole from the artists.

It's not my habit to reveal issues like that publicly, but after all, everyone deserves to know the truth. And I know Brad and I are NOT the only ones at all.

Thanks
    "Let he that has never torrented a video throw the first stone."
    Honestly I haven't and never even considered it. I spent a hundred dollars during a blow out sale where the videos were only 20 each (which is still expensive) and it was mostly stuff that I wasn't ready for. And there's no way I can stream those videos when I caught up. So I can see why some would boot it.

Your probably right and this is probably over chump change. It doesn't sound like malice or greed behind Manly's intent just a general dismissiveness. Somebody just doesn't want to go through the trouble of writing a check for fifty bucks.

21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    People are trying to defend Manley? Woooow

Yeah guys! It's piracy's fault man, or like, maybe it just wasn't that much money that he owes all those artists with successful video tutorials.. yeah.. Maybe

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Alla Primal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Same here. I've got 22 gigs worth of CA/MB downloads and they're all paid for. Time to get my throwing arm in shape again.
    Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pixeltuner For This Useful Post:

Page 18 of 71 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 68 ... LastLast