Artist Review on MS Surface Pro

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Artist Review on MS Surface Pro

Stumbled across this review of the Microsoft Surface Pro. At first I was like ehhh Surface isn't great... but then after reading this, it looks like MS was able to integrate 1024 levels of pressure sensitivity. I haven't found an article about how the Pro works with PhotoShop but looks like it's great with SketchBook.
    Enjoy!

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2013/02/...ms-surface-pro

*Now to read the thread about a possible portable Cintiq!*

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for sharing this review. So now comes the dilemma, do I wait for the Cintiq Sketcher to be releases at the end of summer that will be running a Android os, but it would include progammable keys and a jog wheel. Or do I get a Surface Pro that I can load my full version software and use it as a portable Cintiq. I suspect that the Cintiq Sketcher is going to be around the same cost as a MS Surface Pro 128. I think I am leaning towards the Surface, my real drawing will still be on my Cintiq attached to my desktop and the Surface would be something that I could take on the road and actually use the same software that I have in my desktop. It almost seems like a very easy choice. A little onesided.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We can dream it will be that cheap.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I know about the Surface Pro is what I see on on TV. Apparently, its biggest feature is that it makes you dance.

Last night I slept like a baby: I wore a diaper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wildunko View Post
    Thanks for sharing this review. So now comes the dilemma, do I wait for the Cintiq Sketcher to be releases at the end of summer that will be running a Android os, but it would include progammable keys and a jog wheel.
    wacom hasn't published their slate's OS and any other features yet, cintiq sketcher is someone else's wishful thinking that's been around since late 2011.

on the fourth day of glitchmas my painter™ gave to me
    four random crashes, three broken brushes, two system hangups & one corrupted workspace

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sigmadog View Post
    All I know about the Surface Pro is what I see on on TV. Apparently, its biggest feature is that it makes you dance.
    This made me really LOL...
    Funny enough the dancers have been on some Dance Reality Shows and Movies: Step Up 3 (Don't ask how I know that...)

But seriously I'm now torn, I need to figure out how to get a copy of a Surface Pro with Photoshop installed.
    I guess some considerations are the following:
    • Do you need the features of a Cintiq? (Rotation, Tilt, 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity).
    • Whats your budget?
    • What applications are you going to run?
    • Processing power and memory a concern? (This references your application needs. Photoshop you'd want at least 6GB Memory, I'd prefer to go 16GB if possible.)
    • How durable of a unit do you need?
    • Are you concerned about battery life? (My LE1700 last about 1 hour now and I get kinda upset when I can't draw anymore when I'm in the zone.)
    • Screen quality? (Surface Pro's screen seems to be really nice. But if Cintiq is smart they may come out with a high resolution screen that rivals or on par with a IPS screen.)
    • Additional features & accessories? (USB Ports, Carrying cases, extra batteries, keyboard etc..)

For me my bench is a J3500 Motion Computing in terms of battery life, memory/processing power, screen (outdoor) & durability. I don't own one but based on specs and some of the tests I've seen its a great system. Just soooo expensive...2k -3K depending on build.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondok View Post
    [*]Are you concerned about battery life? (My LE1700 last about 1 hour now and I get kinda upset when I can't draw anymore when I'm in the zone.)
    This is my main concern. My magic mouse honks me off every time I put batteries in it once a month. I'd love it to be USB OR battery power so I could plug it into a laptop and keep going. And please, put a battery door on it. You know we're going to wear those things out and dread sending them to Germany to get new batteries put in.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Members who have read this thread: 4