Local screen-sharing software?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Local screen-sharing software?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Local screen-sharing software?

Hey guys,

I really don't know the correct terminology for what I'm looking for, but "local screen sharing" was the best I could think of to describe it. I'm starting a club at my university that revolves around digital painting, illustration, concept art etc. We have a very renowned studio art program, but no digital painting - so I figured it was high time someone organized something! I managed to get a room full of state of the art computers and art software here at the school, where the computers are arranged in a line across long tables with a walkway through the middle - the computers are pretty much arranged in a grid. So, I thought a really great feature would be to have the ability to work on your own art while simultaneously being able to look at any screen on the grid and check out what someone across the room is doing. If a member really likes how a peer's art is coming along, they can keep that window visible while working on their own painting, and perhaps try implementing some of that person's technique they really like. Alternatively, they could get up and go observe that person and communicate with them, asking them how they did this or that. Just watch, be inspired, learn. And of course everyone can do this all the time. So whether or not you're the fastest gun in the west, you can always find someone who knows how to do something really well, and add that technique to your repertoire, or at least learn from it in the long run. I have a lot of other things in mind, no doubt, but this one requires some kind of software to network these computers together and I really don't know how to go about doing that. I've used screen sharing before in applications like Skype, but that's about all the know how I have on the matter. I guess think of it like a LAN screen share? Eh... I have no idea. Do you guys know of any software, with or without a required install, free or not free, that could accomplish this? In a perfect world, such a thing would not take a place on the hard drive and would be free of charge, but I am still absolutely interested in any options I have right now.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh there is google hangout for that; but this is not LAN ( but maybe some technical network guru can set up the things to be able to work like a local network )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We use on premise RHUB web conferencing appliances for conducting online meetings & sharing desktops. It is only onetime cost and is very easy to use as well.

Members who have read this thread: 3