Can I get some advice in this one?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello,

I did a painting with a similar composition before and got some advices from you people.
    This time I tried to follow these advices.

What could be corrected this time?

Thanks for feedback.

Name:  autobahnwip.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  249.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey a-k-m!!

First thing for me, I think the foreground is way too dark. I know you are probably trying to create a silhouette, but I think lightening it up will help a lot.

I think you should go back to the design stage. If you can, make this a thumbnail first and design your shapes. The foreground can be your darkest shape, the middle ground can be your midtone shape, and the sky can be your lightest shape. It will help you define your shapes better, your shapes seem a bit mushy, but I think that you just need more time playing with photoshop. Good luck!

Last edited by Ally Hodges; March 4th, 2013 at 12:32 PM. Reason: spelling check

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ally Hodges For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool thanks for the hints...

here's the improved version:

Views: 314
Size:  268.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd lighten the foreground, you've made it a little too dark, or at least too dark for the very bright clear sky, as goes with the colours, it's bright and sunny out but the colours are muddy like it is grim and cloudy out. The tree branches need work and I'd maybe get rid of the second little tree as it is blocking the view of the construction in the distance. That also empties it up for some other stuff, maybe throw in some birds on the right or whatever relevant. The perspective on the stream seems a little off, needs to be more horizontal, set up some perspective lines. I did a quick paint over simply to show visually what I meant, you can easily decide if you want to get rid of the tree or not. It's not the best, I'm sorry, I only have a laptop mouse at hand hence the retarded birds and blurriness.

Name:  grvfds.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  214.6 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aceoko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say post the references for this and we can then see where you are trying to go with it, and then hopefully we can help steer you in the right direction.

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wheres the light source? tree bark and rock should reflect light differently to say, dirt and grass. the path in the middle, is it a river or a dirt path? l think a few horizontal strokes could also help level the ground.

The trees seem a bit to mathematically correct to be natural. every branch has two main branches coming off, etc. Use a reference of dead trees, it could help break out of this tree branching style. Also another thing about the trees. why are they all dead with he landscape looking pretty green and healthy? it is ominous and maybe if you want to keep them, expand on this feeling of dread and uncertainty?

but..overall, l think this has a lot of potential, l personally suck at landscape drawings so l can't really give the best advice but hopefully you find something useful out of all of it ^ ^

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meteor Panda For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I was also thinking, that there is missing something on the right side... The tree was too prominent and too heavy, there was nothing to balance it on the other side. But just the simple trick you mentioned of deleting half of it makes a huge difference

And the birds are a good idea to give more balance too!

Unfortunately I have no reference, I did it from imagination and or as an enhancement of my older thread's painting (http://conceptart.org/forums/critiqu...ding-them.html)

I tried to lighten the foreground and mostly the main tree as Ally Hodges recommended. But it seems that I fell back to going too dark again. I'll fix it.

The light is coming from the top left. haha, the stream in the middle was supposed to be an highway or a street leading to both towns. Well I guess I have to work on that too

When I started I wanted to have a rather dead looking landscape, maybe post-nuclear style or a cold winterday (without snow though). It was not my intention to make the grass too lively.
    On the other hand, grass is one persistant plant that grows when other plants are giving up eg.

Again thanks for all the help, I apreciate it much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by LaCan; July 14th, 2014 at 07:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    little update to this one, trying to consider your advices:

Views: 259
Size:  467.0 KB

Thanks for critics in advance

Ps: P.S: In the meantime I took out more saturation of the birds in the background, decreased the size of the fighting birds and tweaked the color of the tree right behind the first foreground tree... was way too brownish

Last edited by a-k-m; March 7th, 2013 at 08:25 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok, here the latest update... I will have a break now from this painting. But I still appreciate criticism

Cheers

Views: 237
Size:  488.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Biggest problems I can spot right now; there is no middle ground (it goes from very dark foreground to very vague background almost instantly), the colors are very lifeless and there is no focus point. I'm looking at the fighting birds as much as the turquoise pillars as much as the distant city; neither of the three seem more or less important. Also, your picture is huge. I don't know what size you work at, but work small first so you can keep a good eye on what you're doing.

Super quick paint-over GO.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot, very nice paintover! I'll definetely take your points into account.

Just a question...

How do you give more importance to an object in order to make it a focal point?

For example with the trees... Should I make them less detailed so they don't catch the eye? The turquoise pillars... Probably they are redundant and I can take them out so that the eye wanders then directly to the city in the back... and to make the city in the back the second focal point I would have to decrease its value even more?

I guess my painting is bit too overloaded maybe I should take out one of the mountains/ rock formations

Last edited by a-k-m; March 8th, 2013 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To give more focus to something cast a light on it, or make it a strong dark color against a light color, simply spend more time rendering out that particular area. Make the focus stand out somehow, maybe it's the only craggly ragged shape in a picture of softly painted mountains and clouds, there is a lot you can do.

I think the sky and clouds are too fake, they do not overlap the trees or have a natural movement, spend 45 minutes painting clouds out of a window and then paint some clouds in a painting like this later that day, and you will be amazed how much more control you'll have and how much better they will turn out.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to fersteger2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by LaCan; July 14th, 2014 at 07:58 AM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaCan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Word. Listen to LaCan. Follow those steps and until you've got a good hang of it!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to fersteger2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks laCan, next time I start a painting I will have to do much more planning and follow then your steps. For now I just overpainted my existing one. And I'm going to check out the book you recommended.

Any crits on the current paintover?

Name:  autobahn2.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  46.8 KB

PS: I realised, I was painting all the time with only 25% zoom. Now it appears really big

Just another question to add: Everybody is recommending me to draw from real life... I would love to do so but unfortunately I cannot move my computer. I do draw from real life from time to time with a ballpoint pen, however, I would like to go on with colors.
    What kind of coloring tools would you recommend for painting outdoors which are handy to transport and not too expensive?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by a-k-m; March 9th, 2013 at 09:51 PM. Reason: changed to a smaller sized image

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    little update

another question... my painting looks so "soft"...
    How do you get rid of the soft looking painting? by using some kind of texture brush, or even a photo textures? or is there a way to avoid it already when painting it with the standart brushes?

Views: 186
Size:  99.3 KB

I drifted a little away from the initial painting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another update... I think I will leave it like that and will consider all of your advices in the next painting. I already learned a lot from it in this painting and they really helped me pushing it at least a little bit.
    Thanks to all!

Views: 20
Size:  481.6 KB

Members who have read this thread: 2