Sketchbook: A heads up about the Sketchbook forums and a question for you all.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 11,134 Times in 2,681 Posts
    Follows
    Following

A heads up about the Sketchbook forums and a question for you all.

Hey all,

We are in the middle of production on the entire new site for ca and the sketchbooks area is getting some really great stuff that will allow you to view all the images very quickly, and show off your efforts in a way that makes it far more easy for people to view all the great art here. The journeys taken in the sketchbooks here are of the most inspiring on CA and so that was kept in mind for the new tools.

For now we are running some tests with the temp gallery and sharing features, which are currently working very well to increase views on the work here on the site. Right now the gallery is large, and we are experimenting with some more elegant layouts, but wanted to run some tests and see how things work.

As this is really your forum, we are super open to input on what you would like to see. The highlights gallery that is up now is just for trial. Originally I was looking at putting a grid of large thumbs up to replace the featured sketchbooks section for the transition to the new tech, (and we still can), but the big image with smaller thumbs was a happy accident. I have made the images very low weight so they should be quick to load and not impede viewing the forums.

However, I was curious what type of setup for highlighting the sketchbooks of merit, and the inspirational journeys would be to your liking. We can do large medium and small images, we can do thumbnails only, we can use the big image and have smaller thumbs under it, we can cut things down in size...as said, for the temp site updates we are super open and would love to hear any thoughts.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We will also be highlighting sketchbooks up in the main part of the site, as some of you may have noticed. For those who keep them updated with great work...the extra promo is entirely deserved.

Thanks for the inspiration.

Jason

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops are on sale- Join now and get 25% off!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,609 Times in 1,978 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ahh very cool Jason, yea i like the sound of that! it would be cool if say, under each post in the sketchbook section, there could be a button to vote for 'Banner Worthy' or something, and a algorithm that would automatically add the images based on the vote count. like 5 could make it to a small thumb, ten would bump it up to a medium thumb, and 20 wuld make a big thumb. and there could be a time limit for staying on the banner, so the same images arent always up there. . . about the voting button, thats gonna be a tough thing to specify which image in the post to vote on (as most people will upload multiple images at one time), but maybe you could use the same type of thing as the polls in the weekly challenges. maybe at the bottom of each sketchbook page there could be a poll with all the images from that page, and there could be a limit like one vote per day for each thread for every user. i dont know... just spit ballin . but i think its a great idea !

MY SKETCHBOOK!
    Some Sketchbooks you should check out! --->
    (expect this list to change alot)
    Mattinian
    RazorB
    Albino-Z
    MatejaPetkovic
    Cold
    Jama

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah that is where things are headed for sure...we have a whole new way to view images coming and we have vote counts and star totals from many years to be able to show things, and can do it by date as well. Easy peasy.

Members who have read this thread: 2