CHoW#320 :: Dranok the Pale - Centaur Warlord - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6
    JanDegler is offline *°* ..Reinvent yourself every day.. *°* Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres where I am so far... I guess I wont make it on time with the colors... anyway been a realy good practice... Crits are still more than welcome!!!

Name:  8small.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  272.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword95 View Post
    Oh no. I already posted it into Finals. Gotta paintover the paintover to make it look like it's not painted over... O__o
    First I want to say that I apologize for not being as attentive as I normally am. I had a very busy week and I haven't been able to keep up with all the updates from you guys. But since this is the second issue with a photo paintover, I cannot allow the entry into the poll. I have to be fair to the first person whom I had to deny poll entry for his first WIP by denying entry of yours this round as well. Regardless if you painted over it to make it look like yours, it was still a photograph.

I must say that they both turned out very well, but I hope you understand my decision. Next time there is a topic where this sort of thing may occur again, I will be sure to make it clear to everyone not to do paintovers before it's too late.

Just remember, you both produced very nice pieces to show off in your portfolios and that's all anyone can really ask for in their own work. If you have any concerns, please let me know.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

Visit my website for additional info. www.mjdstudios.com
    “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    greyskill and Sean McClain, i tried to fix these issues. I don't know if it's better but i tried.

I will fix some minor things but i think i'm almost done

Name:  chow6.png
Views: 352
Size:  726.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vincebiwerlookin good!

Nearly done!
    Name:  CHoW#320jsn08.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  150.6 KB

Sketchbook

Need to fill this up!
    Finally Finished

Mostly traditional media.
    Fine Art

www.jsnzart.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,656 Times in 771 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Baller work y'all. I might be able to put some more work in mine today but I have other things to do as well..

Tuner people, not Turner.

A mind that wanders so much, it brings back souvenirs.

Sketchbook -- Blog -- New Music --
    Traditional Paintings --
    The Drawing Dutchmen --
    Book Of Thumbs --

New Website!!!!!!!
    --

JanDegler is offline *°* ..Reinvent yourself every day.. *°* Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres my final....gr8 round guys!!!!
    Any crits are still helpfull....

Name:  CHOW Entry.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  460.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    !!!!!!!REMINDER!!!!!!!

Daylights Savings has occurred today, so you lost an hour. I will keep submissions open unti 11pm GMT for this week's poll.

IN ADDITION!!!!

His armour and battle axe must show his tribes markings
    Those of you who have NOT followed the guidelines and already submitted a final (Vaejoun, Atreides, GammaGrey,taffyjones, Thujon, IDP, Tsujni), you have time to fix this.

This is a small detail that should not be overlooked.

Quote Originally Posted by Thujon View Post
    Heres my final....gr8 round guys!!!!
    Any crits are still helpfull....
    Well Thujon here are my Crits and things to work on.

1.) Human anatomy. There are several spots that stick out reflecting your knowledge of human anatomy. Use reference
    2.) Along with anatomy, one of the more sore spots is the face/head.
    3.) Carefully follow the guidelines.
    4.) The horse, well, it's chest is not there for one. So again, use reference.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

“If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn't seem so wonderful after all.”
    ― Michelangelo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post
    First I want to say that I apologize for not being as attentive as I normally am. I had a very busy week and I haven't been able to keep up with all the updates from you guys. But since this is the second issue with a photo paintover, I cannot allow the entry into the poll. I have to be fair to the first person whom I had to deny poll entry for his first WIP by denying entry of yours this round as well. Regardless if you painted over it to make it look like yours, it was still a photograph.

I must say that they both turned out very well, but I hope you understand my decision. Next time there is a topic where this sort of thing may occur again, I will be sure to make it clear to everyone not to do paintovers before it's too late.

Just remember, you both produced very nice pieces to show off in your portfolios and that's all anyone can really ask for in their own work. If you have any concerns, please let me know.
    It's okay, you are right and I understand your decision. It was my bad anyways and I won't repeat it in the future. It'd be nice to add that paintover reminder in every ChOW rules though.

But it was fun! Can't wait for next ChOW! Good luck with your eligible entries, everyone!

DEVIANTART -:|:- BLOG -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- GOOGLE+ -:|:- FACEBOOK |:::| Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Spellsword95 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Spellsword95 View Post
    It's okay, you are right and I understand your decision. It was my bad anyways and I won't repeat it in the future. It'd be nice to add that paintover reminder in every ChOW rules though.

But it was fun! Can't wait for next ChOW! Good luck with your eligible entries, everyone!
    Thanks for understanding. Glad to hear you will stick around, because I am excited for the next topic which will be posted later today.

I have also begun to take steps to ensure that this issue doesn't happen anymore.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  anatomy.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  429.5 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by Havok Reed View Post

Well Thujon here are my Crits and things to work on.

1.) Human anatomy. There are several spots that stick out reflecting your knowledge of human anatomy. Use reference
    2.) Along with anatomy, one of the more sore spots is the face/head.
    3.) Carefully follow the guidelines.
    4.) The horse, well, it's chest is not there for one. So again, use reference.
    Thanks a ton havok for your crit!!!

To properly understand it please tell me exactly without mercy what do you mean by "sore spot like the face" ?? What strikes you mostly when you look at it....
    Thanks for all!!!

I attached the anatomical sketch... I thought this was quite ok.... I really have to improve on anatomy!!! THX!

Last edited by JanDegler; March 10th, 2013 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Current WIP, slowly wrapping it up. Got a few hours left to implement some sort of headwear and the axe, I hope I get it done in time. Awesome round everyone

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

quick entry- wips

hi, just doing a very quick last minute entry. I want to get more adept at churning out some quick little concepts with good value range. i didnt want to do it tooo by the book so i did a super-muscly body type.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

quick entry

not finished but what the heck. crits welcome. im trying to become better at just doing the damn thing and getting nice sketches down with good value range. so for what its worth-heres my centaur-he works out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cassandre: I would recommend joining in earlier to get a fully fleshed out work. AND what better day to do that than today! In 4 hours I will be posting the new topic

Anyway

Here is where I am with mine. I pretty much sketched this about 4 times before I was happy with the sketch. The rendering, however, I started getting sloppy with it...meh... I'll clean it up as I go. Gotta fix his arm, I changed the levels and the small dark areas became super dark which just changed the muscles all weird

Last edited by Havok Reed; March 10th, 2013 at 01:36 PM.
    !!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Thujon View Post

Thanks a ton havok for your crit!!!

To properly understand it please tell me exactly without mercy what do you mean by "sore spot like the face" ?? What strikes you mostly when you look at it....
    Thanks for all!!!

I attached the anatomical sketch... I thought this was quite ok.... I really have to improve on anatomy!!! THX!
    Hey Thujon, sorry I didn't even see this post XD. Now, I'm not speaking as an expert (I too have a long ways to go), but this is what I can see based on my current knowledge of anatomy.

Now, to answer your question, I can't go into much further detail because it's an overall lack of knowledge. Based on your red line, you need to do some studying up on form, structure, proportions, location, and functionality. What helped me the most was the requirement, from my life drawing class, to draw the human body with muscles and labeling them, knowing their names, and what they do.

Right now, the torso seems too elongated. The muscles on the arms kind of just...flow into a solid object, resulting in a flat look.
    Positioning, the pectorals in your sketch look too far up, and shoulders bulging out too much. He also lacks a neck and trapezius which may be the reason why those other things look off. The arm muscles will look different depending on the positioning and flexing of the arms, but since you did not define them, they are flat.
    The abdominal area is flat, undefined so it looks like a plain cylinder.
    You need to know the underlying structure and be able to mold the form into that.
    Now, the head is one of those things that will take a long time to be good at. I still struggle with mine sometimes. There are so many rules to making the head that I couldn't possible go over them all right here. I can only suggest that you pick up Andrew Loomis' procedure to drawing the head. You need to understand the underlying structure and how it all flows together. Again, I'm no god at drawing heads, but I have done it a ton, more than I could count, and still practice all the time.

I think you are trying to exaggerate without knowing the actual sizes of everything.

The horse part you painted doesn't have a chest.
    Name:  example 2.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  289.4 KB

I hope this helps you out.

!!SKETCHBOOK!!

― Michelangelo

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Havok Reed For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sean McClain - Thanks, I hope he looks more of a warlord now.
    Won't finish on time, but it was fun nonetheless.
    Name:  CHoW#320_Rustveld.png
Views: 285
Size:  475.7 KB

Last edited by Rustveld; March 10th, 2013 at 05:56 PM. Reason: added studies

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rustveld For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blargh. Looks like I won't finish in time either.
    Name:  DranokThePale_rev10.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  193.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    such amazing work from everyone, im somewhat glad im not in the poll^^

Eventhough i couldnt make it in time for the deadline i still found the time today to finish the pose and slap some ink on it, i guess this is as finished as my dranok will ever be.

z0mbi is offline Allergic to Fire and Headwounds Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean McClain View Post
    zombiewow cool line work...will we get to see color??
    I am so bad at color it's not even funny. I did try to color this one, but it wasn't going well... and then to top it off, my computer crashed and I had not saved any of the colors. I missed the final submission anyway because I was out of town.

I know I really need to tackle more color if I want to get any good at it, but I just have so much fun doing straight up line-work and color is always a chore.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to z0mbi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi friends, just wanted to show my version which i made for training. I knew i wont have time to finish this one so i just started.
    anyway, just want to post.
    In my mind theme is a little bit pagan, (and reminding me about Korpiklaani band's music (i don't know why)).
    Also i spotted that every time creature is somelike mythical, or legendary, I try not to show his face, because face will show his nature, temper and for me mythical characters have lack of this feature.
    Name:  Centaurus.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  224.5 KB

Sketchbook
    I'm mostly self-taught, please if you have free minute leave some crits for me!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6

Members who have read this thread: 4