Art: Asked how much I want to earn for short film?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Asked how much I want to earn for short film?

Hi guys and gals,

I have had that awkard moment where I have been asked how much I really want for my concept art for a short film at the 10 to 15 thousand pounds GBP budget level. I believe they are not trying to necessarily be tricky, more that so far they have not had a concept artist for this project, or for the proof of concept trailer they produced, all linked to what they hope is a full feature being arranged by their US producer.

What they have in mind is for me to state a percentage. I know that 1% of budget seems very low and I wouldnt expect 10%. I think this is to be a negotiation.

Ah yes, so far they have counted 7 full colour pieces I have completed, with perhaps another 5.

Any ideas,

Lee Lightfoot (hope this is the right place to ask this?)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,955 Times in 2,397 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Why are you doing work without knowing what you are being paid? 12 pieces of art are at least worth 15k on the low end.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is not true. It depends on your experience and the kind of work you're doing, and mostly on the quality that you can deliver. 12 pieces of concept art are around 4000$ for a good level beginner if you can do one piece per day within 8 hours of work being paid around 40$ per hour which is average for a professional level concept artist. But i repeat, i don't know your level, and i don't know the level of quality your client expects from you (which is very important)... but we know the budget and you know they can afford the cost (it doesn't matter how much money they can make with the movie).

Ok i've seen some of your art, what you do is not concept art for game and movie industry so i don't think you can apply the rates i'm suggesting you. I think you will have to lower the rates a lot for this project but how much depends on the kind of work they need and how much time is going to take you. I guess your client is going to be happy if you ask for something around 1500-2000$ probably less, it depends on you man. Make some calculation on how much time is going to take you per piece and how much do you think your work is worth per hour.

Last edited by Hitsu//San; March 3rd, 2013 at 06:19 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.