Is this a good plan to improve my skills?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0

    Is this a good plan to improve my skills?

    Cick here to see my current skill level (hint it starts with AMATEUR and ends with Newbie )

    I am working a lot to improve my skills and become an amazing digital artists . but this year I want to have concrete goals instead of being so aimless like last year (I started with cubes and ended with hair...).

    Here is my plan!:

    1.-Practice perspective (Being able to draw a cube in any angle) MAIN PRIORITY and ONGOING
    2.-Learn the basics of anatomy proportions (third priority)
    3.-Learn to shade basic shapes MAIN PRIORITY in both digital and traditional medium
    4.-Draw a lot of still life SECONDARY PRIORITY
    5.-Draw a lot of gestures from models after number 2 TERTIARY Priority
    6.-Learn the basics of color theory Fourth Priority
    7.-Always Drawing from references to avoid the "cartoonish look" of my drawings SECONDARY PRIORITY

    What do you think/ would advice me?

    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

    "There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  


  2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    3,180
    Thanks
    752
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by legendarysonofgod View Post
    Cick here to see my current skill level (hint it starts with AMATEUR and ends with Newbie )

    I am working a lot to improve my skills and become an amazing digital artists . but this year I want to have concrete goals instead of being so aimless like last year (I started with cubes and ended with hair...).

    Here is my plan!:

    1.-Practice perspective (Being able to draw a cube in any angle) MAIN PRIORITY and ONGOING
    2.-Learn the basics of anatomy proportions (third priority)
    3.-Learn to shade basic shapes MAIN PRIORITY in both digital and traditional medium
    4.-Draw a lot of still life SECONDARY PRIORITY
    5.-Draw a lot of gestures from models after number 2 TERTIARY Priority
    6.-Learn the basics of color theory Fourth Priority
    7.-Always Drawing from references to avoid the "cartoonish look" of my drawings SECONDARY PRIORITY

    What do you think/ would advice me?
    It is extremely frustrating to give people advice, have them say "yes, this is wonderful!" and then two months later you see them again, still asking for advice, and seeing no evidence that they have actually done anything since then. Nobody can help you until you help yourself. They will only repeat things you have heard before until you process the advice you have been given and move forward.

    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

    "There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:


  5. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    148
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    It is extremely frustrating to give people advice, have them say "yes, this is wonderful!" and then two months later you see them again, still asking for advice, and seeing no evidence that they have actually done anything since then. Nobody can help you until you help yourself. They will only repeat things you have heard before until you process the advice you have been given and move forward.
    I have been practicing... I just want to be more focused that's all.Becuase I have practiced stuff I wasn't prepared for.


    Sorry about that.

    Check out my NEW NEW NEW SKETCH BOOK and my Constantly updated deviant art too! (Don't forget to critique both! I am very eager to learn)

    "There is a right way and an easy way". I am here to do things the right way .

    Philippians 4:13
    I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    717
    Thanks
    932
    Thanked 291 Times in 208 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Just get on with the perspective stuff. I don't think making plans for things in the far future will make you draw any better right now.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Slothboy3000 For This Useful Post:


  8. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    10,256
    Thanks
    3,535
    Thanked 5,476 Times in 3,685 Posts
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Do a ton of still lives.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:


  10. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2,710
    Thanks
    2,942
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Just draw.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    2,110
    Thanks
    801
    Thanked 909 Times in 455 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by legendarysonofgod View Post
    What do you think/ would advice me?
    go for it. succeed and fail. adjust. incorporate. grow.

    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

    "Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:


  13. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    145
    Thanks
    55
    Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I kind of agree that making lists probably won't help you (trust me, I used to be rabid listmaker -still am sometimes-, I'd make lists for everything you could possibly imagine, and they'd go like five years into the future... And what I've learned from making lists, is that you spend a whole lot of time planning stuff that's not going to happen anyway).

    If you must do something list like, just set a goal for yourself as a reminder, like "I want to get the fundamentals of drawing down". That should be more than enough to keep you occupied.

    Now, I'm a beginner myself, so I'm sure there's other people who know this stuff better than I, but here are some things that you can do:


    1. Get a book that explains the fundamentals of drawing.
    This way, you won't have to worry about making all those lists and lose focus, because the book will tell you what to do.

    One book that's recommended a lot over here is "Drawing essentials" by Deborah Rockman.
    I have this book myself, and while it can be a bit of a bore to read through it ( sorry, just my opinion, I can only handle this book if I read small chunks of it at the time), if you actually take the time to study the text and follow the instructions, you'll be well on your way to becoming a better artist. This book deals with drawing from life, perspective, figure drawing ... And if you get the second edition you'll also get a bit of color theory.

    Just open the book, and work your way through picking up whatever you need to reach your goal.

    2. Just draw. This is pretty much the method I'm using now, along with the book up there.

    Mix up your routine with studies from books and real life.

    If you have trouble coming up with stuff to draw, think about one thing that you would really like to be able to draw and then for one week(or longer, I just said one because I have the attention span of a goldfish), set small goals that will help you draw that object.

    For instance, last week I really want to draw fruit from life so I did. And this week, I really want to continue to learn to draw heads. So my plan is to do studies from Loomis' book, and apply what I learned there in real life (by doing a self-portrait, hopefully more than one). On the side I'll do some perspective because it seems like a pretty important subject that will help solve all kinds of problems.

    The reason why I would advise you to do it this way is because you'll actually enjoy learning new things, instead of forcing yourself to do what your list tells you to do and getting discouraged.

    At least, for me the moment I told myself that I could draw whatever I wanted, drawing became so much more enjoyable.

    And if you keep drawing with your big goal in mind, I don't think you can really go wrong.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ebi For This Useful Post:


  15. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,202
    Thanks
    1,192
    Thanked 1,233 Times in 794 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    It's great that you have a list of stuff that you need to work on, but I wouldn't worry too much about ranking them in order of priority. Just pick something you want to work on and work on it. Even if you end up over your head a little bit, you will still learn from the experience and gain understanding of what areas you still need to improve in. When you identify something that's really standing out as a problem in your work, feel free to drop whatever you're currently studying and work on it. The great thing about studying on your own is you don't have to wait until X project comes up - just do it. In my experience, the more extra duties you give yourself (like making lists or figuring the perfect study schedule), the more you're just delaying from getting actual work done.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  16. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:


  17. #10
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Hudson River valley, NY
    Posts
    16,212
    Thanks
    4,879
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by dierat View Post
    It's great that you have a list of stuff that you need to work on, but I wouldn't worry too much about ranking them in order of priority. Just pick something you want to work on and work on it. Even if you end up over your head a little bit, you will still learn from the experience and gain understanding of what areas you still need to improve in. When you identify something that's really standing out as a problem in your work, feel free to drop whatever you're currently studying and work on it. The great thing about studying on your own is you don't have to wait until X project comes up - just do it. In my experience, the more extra duties you give yourself (like making lists or figuring the perfect study schedule), the more you're just delaying from getting actual work done.
    Bingo.


    Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

    Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

    "Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

    "Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:


  19. #11
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    123
    Thanks
    38
    Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    From my personal experience I must agree with dierat, as soon as you start making lists it is an excellent way to keep postponing the drawing.
    Just keep in mind what you need to improve and draw.

    As for myself I stopped making lists, all I need to know is that I need to improve perspective and anatomy.
    Whenever I feel like studying I do one of those 2, if I don't feel like studying I doodle (this will keep the fun in it as some might lose it from only doing studies).


    Help me improve, critiques and criticism are welcome:
    My sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to SpectreX For This Useful Post:


  21. #12
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Richmond, Virginia
    Posts
    75
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Don't forget to have some fun!! Your list would bore me to tears if I didn't have any humor in it. For instance, could you make the cubes have faces fighting each other? Can your figure studies have some wacky gestures in addition to serious ones? Make it fun and you'll draw more.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to Ally Hodges For This Useful Post:


  23. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    68
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 19 Times in 13 Posts
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    I wouldn`t make drawing from life a secondary priority, if you can, go to life classes a couple of times a week(if available) and keep going- you will jump up pretty quickly if you do this with consistency.

    look at the recommended reading lists here, get the loomis books and harold speeds, and then ravage them.

    Ask yourself if you are really serious? If so, go for it.

    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 6

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook