Art: What are the three most important art skills?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What are the three most important art skills?

What is the most important skill, technique, or concept that, if practiced, will yield the most results in terms of advancing your level of art? Is it the proportions of the figure? Value? Line quality?

I am trying to become a better artist, and I know I need to practice. I totally get that. Practice, practice, practice. My question is, if I have an hour after work, what is the best use of my time? I'm very curious what the artists here have found to be the two or three concrete skills that really helped them take their art to the next level.

Any advice is very much appreciated!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Value is the most important thing. If you only have an hour maybe do small value studies of old master works or simple, one-object still-lifes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is the most important skill, technique, or concept that, if practiced, will yield the most results in terms of advancing your level of art?

perseverance- you cant get better if you give up

curiosity - always seek to discover new things. dont be afraid to fail with something new

the gap - you create a gap between you and your heroes. you hold them above you as having abilities you do not. its the gap between you two that keeps you progressing and moving forward with your own work, always trying to close that gap.

i know it's not exactly the answer you were looking for, but taking on the bolded part of the question, this is what i believe to be true

BrandMooreArt
    http://brandmooreart.daportfolio.com/
    Twitter: @BrandMooreArt

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should practice whatever your weakest spot is until you're comfortable and keep just repeat that forever If lines make you the most nervous, practice lines until they don't. If it's values, practice values; hands, practice hands; and so on and so forth. At least that's how I feel like I improve the fastest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In my opinion three top most art skills are first of all creativity, confidence, perseverance, focus, collaboration, dedications and accountability. I would say that these things are strength of an artist. So, this skills are must in every artist according to me.

wall scrolls posters

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by peterrsergen View Post
    In my opinion three top most art skills are first of all creativity, confidence, perseverance, focus, collaboration, dedications and accountability. I would say that these things are strength of an artist. So, this skills are must in every artist according to me.
    I agree with this one, but also know that in order to make room for improvement you need to pull yourself in doubt, as to.. get out of your comfort zone. Else your work will stagnate and become dull.

If you are proud of what you did yesterday,
    you haven`t done today

CA Sketchbook!SKETCHBOOK
    Blog (my adventures): TUMBLR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Talis View Post
    I agree with this one, but also know that in order to make room for improvement you need to pull yourself in doubt, as to.. get out of your comfort zone. Else your work will stagnate and become dull.
    You are also correct and in every human for being a good artist self motivation or some creativity in own self is must. So, sometime focusing on one thing disturb our work as well.

wall scrolls posters

Members who have read this thread: 1