Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    things from yesterday and the day before. I had a lot of problems uploading my stuff,i literarily had to try a hundred of times or more to upload these , yes i have tried with firefox it's the same. maybe it's because i'm on a mac or something but i hope they fix this, i like this site but things like these really bother me i hope its better if i want to upload the things i plan to do this evening ( don't count much on that though)
    Attached Images Attached Images                    

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    dump part 1

Thanks
    hey thanks for commenting in my sketchbook I left a response to your last post there. Your
    life drawings are off to a good start which is important since everything builds up from that(obviously)

Don't worry about making making massive progress early on, the first couple of years always feel awkward. Its just important keep churning out work. it seems to me that a big part in beginning to learn how to draw is building your visual perception. hand eye coordination and muscle memory ,for example, somebody might know the basics about gradations, light, shadows and halftones in an abstract sense(having read the rules and quality of light in a book) but might not be able render a convincing sphere because their perception of values and gradations is not up to par with their knowledge, that perception only comes after countless hours of practice. Having said that, its obviously a good idea to work on your art related knowledge and basics from the beginning. .I'm just mentioning this because many people feel discourage in the beginning then they start wasting time trying to find shortcuts and secrets or worse they convince themselves that they don't have an "inherent talent" an give up. They don't realize that there is the hump they have to go over. Drawing(or anything really) is not only about the knowledge you accumulate but how you execute that knowledge, its about adjusting your body and mind to this new way of thinking/working and getting comfortable with the yourself and your tools, which takes time.after a certain point you’ll notice less meandering more rapid straightforward improvement.Well at least that's my theory(based on my experience).sorry i wrote so much on the subject especially since you seem pretty motivated anyways.

Let me see if I can say something that's actually useful

Having read some of the your postings here, it seems that you're a bit disappointed with your schools and teachers, I think that's an common problem. You should probably realize that you're gonna have to be in charge of you're own education and be proactive in seeking out learning material which should be relatively easy if you have access to the Internet. My impression is that even people that have decent teachers still have to do this anyways and there are many great artist that were self taught so you shouldn't feel like your missing out. Andrew Loomis is a good place to start.I see that you have copied a page from Drawing the head and hands, that's great, try to get your hands on his other work if you
    don't already have them.

Also It's important to try to learn at least one thing from every drawing that you do, i might have giving the wrong impression earlier when i wrote about "churning out work" you shouldn't mindlessly draw. even in the beginning its good to create a habit in learning lessons and information from everything you do. It's also useful to deconstruct images to its basic parts (edges,values,proportions,contrast etc) it helps to demystify art when you realize its just a collection of these different basic visual aspects. the tricky part is building your perception to be able to distinguish all increments apart (softness hardness of an edges, darkness lightness of a value, etc) and what that say about the object your drawing/painting. That's why I recommend starting with basic shapes, this is especially useful when practicing lighting and perspective, most objects are just a collection of the basic shapes so if you can master rendering and perspective of these objects you can do anything I know you probably heard that before since it's such a cliché but I still think it vital that I emphasize how true that is.

I should give some quick advise on rendering. You should probably flatten your values for now and focus on distinguishing light side from the shadow side, a lot of your objects have too much going on in terms of values and textures. a lot of beginners are afraid of flat values they want to put gradations and textures on all the objects even when it's not appropriate flat planes should have relatively flat values theirs often a bit gradation because of bounce light or other variables but completely flat value can look more beautiful and realistic than a badly executed dirty mess. If You do render a round object be aware that the amount of gradation you give that object should be dependent on the roundness of the form people often give the same treatment to all round objects(especially photoshoper's usage of the fuzzy brush) but it often doesn't give the illusion of that specific shape or any shape its often just abstract fuzzy gradient that has no basis in reality. It's tricky as I mention before, the only way to know you did it right is to trust your senses,does it look/feel like a real object. knowledge and experience will steer you in the general direction but having a good perception key to executing gradation correctly which only comes from practices. Also try to stick to matte objects at first to build your sense of form, later you can add specular highlights and textures. Alot of this advise is all over the place, it's probably a good idea to get solid material on lighting and start from there.

It's also a good idea to have a good attitude/state of mind. anxiety, fear and doubt are all very counterproductive and just clouds your mind. I know from experience I used to be super inconsistent, some days i couldn't even draw a straight line, its only when I began to let go of my self doubt that I began to Improve,there a lot more to that but I should stop typing now.

Sorry for cluttering your sketchbook, Halfway down I realize that I wrote way to much I actually deleted a good chunk of my post. I've been forcing myself to give constructed feedback since I never feel I have the authority/right to give anybody advice and always chicken out, but I went a bit overboard today

well good luck on your goals I hope some of my rant was useful and not too badly written(sleepy).
    I'll try to fix the typos when i wake up.

ps.
    you should edit your profile so a link appears for your sketchbook at the bottom of all your post (It's called your signature I think). You can do that by clicking settings at the top of this page, there should be some threads on how to do that.
    Last edited by E.P Ramirez; June 10th, 2013 at 01:48 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to E.P Ramirez For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice start to your sketchbook You're definitely on the good way and I'm looking forward to seeing your progress in the future. So keep uploading

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Papu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    e.p ramirez : wow thank you for writing all of that most of my still life drawing classes involve basic shapes i also did almost nothing but basic shapes in first year of art academy and i had a whole class this year on perspective i wich we only had to draw cubes and pyramids and cilinders from imagination (i failed it with 9/20 but the teacher says i am a lot better now, it was mainly because my line quality was very bad) maybe i should do them a bit more as practice.i agree some of my shading looks messy i have an extremely experimental teacher in art academy ( for her the experiment an expressiveness of a drawing is way more important than anatomy or correct lightning and proportions etc so this had a lot of influence on my drawings cause she was the main person that learned me drawing so i have to learn to control that i have a lot of trouble with fears and i am depressed and sad a lot and like all my life i am not the most stable person i know things wont get better that way but i can't really help it, i also have asperger syndrome ( that also has a huge impact on my thinking, i have troubles making friends etc wich only makes me more sad) i have someone who tries to help me ( don't know the word in english not a psychologist but more like a guide or something ?) but it doesn't work that well had some improvements on the social part ( i used to think i was nothing and had no goals for my life)but still it's really hard for me

Thanks
    ramirez pretty much said everything....so ill just say keep up the good work!!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Xcarbon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    yeah, as i mention the whole shape thing was pretty cliché, I had assume you've done your fair share of them already. Its just something that a lot of people hear but i think don't fully appreciate at first. In a way you have to realize that on your own through your own experience. I know for me, in the beginning I did a cursory and half hearted attempts of shading and placing shapes in space, but then quickly move on to "real" drawing, its not until I went back and did more sincere studies of light and perspective that I felt I was improving, and its still something I do today.

Name:  b&w.jpg
Views: 590
Size:  34.3 KBName:  purple.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  35.1 KB

These still have a lot of problems( I can see a bunch right now) my sense and knowledge of lighting and perspective ,as well as all the other aspect of art, still has a long way to go but using basic and simple shapes to worked through these issues has paid major dividends. Also, as i pointed out in my first post, in the early stages its actually pretty hard to execute basic stuff, you kinda have to go back to it every once in a while when your visual perception,hand eye cordination and muscle memory gets better and work on it again.

sorry to hear about your personal issues i can relate to some of what your feeling, both the the art and social part. Some people can divert their negative feelings into their art I'm just not type of person, i needed to get rid of my fears and anxiety to work consistently and productively. After i realize that, I simply let my negative thoughts/feelings/attitudes go(not that easily, obviously), obsessing about something you have little control just brings misery, I know its easier said than done, negative ideas and thoughts often feel very important and that we should ruminate about them to sort them out but often that has the result of empowering them and making the issue bigger than they should be. Unless you can derive some lessons from them, its better to move on. its also very counterproductive, worry and self doubt takes up space and mental resource in your brain when you should be worrying about the task at hand and then you feel worse caused you weren't able do want you wanted as successfully, it can actually become a pretty vicious cycle.

sorry for the glib advise. I try not to give a lot of personal advise, beside the fact that it's rarely useful, it also often feels that it dismissive of what the person is feeling and the scope of their problems. and it's usually pretty simplistic and doesn't take into account all the complexities, nuances and idiosyncrasies and that make up that persons life and issues. I just hope that you can relate to it and find it useful in some way.

I'm glad you have a counselor to work out your problems and that you've made some headway with your social life.Again good luck with your goals and dreams and keep drawing.

ps.
    Just to be clear, I added the sphere images to illustrate that I still work and try to improve on the basics and probably will for foreseeable future. They are not there to show you the proper way to render a sphere. Those aren't very well made and trying to learn from them might inhibit your progress.

Thanks
    e.p ramirez: thanks i am planning to work a lot during summer vacation like 12 hours a day ( probably can't do that everyday but i can try) but i really need to study everything because i have to be able to make complete illustrations for school and i really want my work to start to look more proffessional

Thanks
    dump part 2

Thanks
    Hey, keep going, you will be a master one day...

Thanks
    jablar: that sure would be nice :p
    my practices from today and a pastel drawing of aslan from narnia from yesterday ref: http://conceitualidade.files.wordpre...0x1200_40.jpeg

Thanks
    studies from today and a dragon i had lying around for a couple of months and finished today anatomy was wrong but was just something to quickly finish so i didn't really care

Thanks
    last exam tomorrow so from then i can begin to build up to get to a more intense training program (probably it would't work if i just suddenly start working 12 h a day or more ) here is some quick random monster thing

Thanks
    from today, landscape practice without color-picking + some demon dude in progress

Thanks
    so some of my stuff seems to be suddenly disappeared from this sketchbook since i was here last :/ i'm not going to upload it all again so here is some off the old stuff but not all and the new things i went to a festival for 5 days and had a meeting with my counselor for a day and then i went to a city for a day and afterwards i got lazy and i wanted to see game of thrones because i hadn't seen it yet so lot of time lost and laziness while i promised myself to work so hard , feel a bit like a failure but that wouldn't help me back to work ( i hope ) some of these are not my design and here for study of styles or for fun

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast