Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks

From the Start: Learning to Draw

Hello! So, I'm a writer with basically no experience in drawing, however through viewing other artists' work became inspired to build my proficiency, primarily to allow me to draw my own characters, but also because I find the work of so many artists inspiring. My ability to draw is probably less than zero, but I'm determined to get better. I decided to start a sketchbook here in hopes of receiving lots of criticism and critique to help me improve. Thanks (:

Name:  heads.png
Views: 1443
Size:  422.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Everyone else hid under your bed, so I'm in your closet.
    Thanks
    Hey nixe, welcome to the forums. Good idea starting with the skull, learning the proportions of that really helps when drawing faces, not to mention you don't have to worry so much about likeness.

If I could give any advice to you it'd be make sure at draw what you see, not what you know things to be("symbols"). Also, I think it'd be a good idea to draw basic shapes in perspective, if even just as warmups. Bad perspective tends to be the first thing I see everyone have trouble with, and it affects pretty much everything in a drawing.

My Sketchbook Feel free to drop in and offer advice

Thanks
    Thanks very much. I just did a page on perspective and will do some more tomorrow, as well as some practice drawing lines. The perspective exercise reminded me a lot of when I learnt to draw 3D cubes in primary school - they went over *everything*!

Name:  perspective.png
Views: 2431
Size:  396.4 KB

Everyone else hid under your bed, so I'm in your closet.
    Thanks
    That's great! The ruled lines are nice when you want to do things perfectly like complex architecture, but I suggest you try to practice "feeling out" the perspective of the shapes a lot too(like you've done on the top right); It's pretty easy to tell when you've done it wrong(things won't line up), this type of practice will help you more later on when you start getting into visualizing the figure in perspective.

Anyways, keep working hard, I will look forward to your progress ^_^.

My Sketchbook Feel free to drop in and offer advice

Thanks
    Thanks (: Hopefully with practice every day I'll progress to drawing heads that really look like heads, haha. Everyone here is so amazing, it's intimidating and inspiring at the same time.

Sorry for the sketchbook spam today!

Name:  perspective2.png
Views: 1038
Size:  431.7 KB
    Name:  heads2.png
Views: 1070
Size:  436.6 KB
    Name:  skull.png
Views: 1135
Size:  102.3 KB

Thanks
    Hey, I know exactly what you mean about the intimidation and inspiration felt when browsing here. Hopefully that should become a driving force to keep you drawing and improving! I don't have a great deal else to tell you apart from go mental. You'll improve very quickly if you try to churn out practice after practice. That's what I'm attempting to do now!

Thanks
    Good start. It is clear you have good observational skills. Keep posting here for motivation Fun to scroll back through work and be able to see that you have progressed.

Thanks
    Thanks! I definitely plan to keep posting here. I've know a couple of people who've kept a daily sketchbook and the transformation in their drawing in just a year is amazing!

Here's a couple of pages from this morning. I think my heads are slightly improved.
    Name:  heads3.png
Views: 1092
Size:  462.5 KB
    Name:  lines.png
Views: 1001
Size:  439.1 KB

Thanks
    Great start!! Keep it up and I'm sure you'll be improving fast

Thanks
    Thanks!

I went rollerblading last night for the first time, which was horrifying, but I actually learnt how to do it by the end of the night, which was a skill I never thought I'd possess. I figure that if I can learn to rollerblade, then I can learn to draw as well.

Some quick contour and gesture drawings as well as another perspective page. Hoping to be able to sit down and draw for a while in university today as well.

Name:  contour.png
Views: 1039
Size:  513.5 KB
    Name:  perspective3.png
Views: 1037
Size:  520.9 KB
    Name:  gesture1.png
Views: 953
Size:  462.8 KB
    Name:  gesture2.png
Views: 965
Size:  458.2 KB
    Name:  gesture3.png
Views: 930
Size:  405.8 KB
    Name:  gesture4.png
Views: 920
Size:  407.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook! I know how you feel with rollerskating. I did both roller derby on quads and speed skating on inlines, and I still feel like a total spaz on skates because I don't practice nearly as often as I should. Moral of the story is practice as often as you can with both art and skating!
    If you ever need advice with skating, shoot me a PM. I may be a bit out of practice but I still know the theory quite well.

You're definitely on the right track with your art. My advice to you would be to try and draw a line of action to give your gesture drawings some fluidity. This tutorial covers what I'm talking about. Try not to feather your lines so much, too. I know it's a tough habit to drop (probably because you're afraid of messing up the shape, right?), but two bad lines look better than a thousand good ones. Here's my quick example I did in MS Paint:
    From the Start: Learning to Draw

Check out my sketchbook! Socially acceptable opportunity to yell at a teenage girl!

Thanks
    Somebody I knew was holding a fundraiser at the roller-center, so I went to support that, but it ended up being really fun. I'm hoping to go back soon without so many people there to watch me fall over.

Thank you! The tutorial was really helpful. I used the lines to try and quickly capture some people while I was waiting to go into a lecture (I didn't have much time, so they kind of came out like stick people). It was difficult not to use the short lines - I forgot I was doing it at first - but I tried to keep note of it. I borrowed out Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain by Betty Edwards from the library, so I'll go through some of those exercises over the next few days as well and hopefully that'll help with the way I see things.

Name:  gesture5.png
Views: 943
Size:  355.7 KB
    Name:  gesture6.png
Views: 874
Size:  307.1 KB

Thanks
    Hey nixe_dreamer!
    One generall advice I would give you is to start with really small steps. Start very easy and simple. For example I´d suggest you not to try to capture expressions or positions but to learn how to draw a simple stick figure first with correct proportions. You have to build your skill pice by pice. Maybe you could take some time and instead of drawing you search tutorial resources on the web. Pick a topic for yourself. For example just focus on facial structure for one month. Search for tutorials about that and if you got the money buy books. Then practice your ass off that one topic. Then jump to another topic like figure drawing or expand your field of studys to facial expressions or whatever. By time you´ll be good enough to try more complicated stuff like fancy positions and so on.
    I think at the beginning when one can´t really do much yet and doesn´t have a genereal comprehension of fundamental knowledge it´s very important to learn from tutorials and books even if it´s maybe more boring.
    I wish you good luck with your studys! Keep the work up!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3