I just visited my local art museum and I was thinking...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

On the car ride back, humming to myself.

50, or even 1000 years from now what kind of art will be on museum walls. What will this "era" of art be called? Will it even include the types of art produced on this site? Will there be a big names that signify this period of the arts? Like Monet to Impressionism or Leonardo da Vinci to the Renaissance. What kind of art will be looked at years from now that will make Quadrillionares of the future go, "Oh yes, the sword of the paladin signifies yada yada, this is the armor he wears when he reaches "Level 100" which means blaa blaa blaa. I will sell it to the museum of hootenanny yard for 30 quadrillion souls."

Think about it! Its like a breath of fresh air when you realize that you're doing the same thing that Michelangelo, Vincent van Gogh, an all the other famous dudes did when there was nothing even close to what we're doing now.

I guessed that the regulars here would appreciate a thread that wasn't about someone worrying about becoming an artist. Instead, I'm more excited about being one.

Sketchbooks:
    Virtual Sprite - New
    Cali to SC, The Joshua Hollis Story - Old

W.I.P. Threads:
    By Crom! - Done
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's hard to tell what will stand the test of time. Just listening to old music stations, sometimes I think that in the 80's, I couldn't known what 80's radio stations would be playing now. There are things that are easy to guess, but we can't foresee how tastes will change. For a long time, Bouguereau was out of favour and he has only recently been rehabilitated and his work given prime spots in museums. Maybe he will fall out of favour again and his paintings will go back in the storage areas of museums. Maybe 50 years from now people will think James Jean and Giger were nutcases.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    We'll never know.

The end.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Psychotime For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's been awhile. But, I remember viewing this work at the Museum Of the School Of the Art Institute Of Chicago, and reflecting on the idea that I was inches away from something that was over 500 years old, but very very relevant!

"Life is short, art is long."

--Hippocrates

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The biggest threat to the longevity of art isn't so much fashion as strife. Once a museum has something, they try their best to hold onto it for as long as they can, only rarely selling due to budget cuts. They'll do what they can to promote what they have and keep it in fashion. Museums tend to be first looted in a crisis. If you want to worry about what'll be in one, 500-1000 years from now, you have to wonder about what disasters may occur in that time. Plus, the most famous works tend to attract freaks with hammers or acid vials hidden in their coats.

A couple other notes:
    1. Modern art, as a period, has already ended, circa 1955. We're in the post-modern era, which means next to nothing in terms of a definition. Already we can see that winding down (if indeed it ever really took off). Abstraction and representation will always play a part in all arts. In the future, modernism will be seen for what it was, a time of experimentation and greater freedom, with a great deal of wind and insincerity mixed in. And post modernism will be referred to as a long list of cheap jokes. Artists will continue to take the good with the bad, making what they want, good or ill, which is as it should be. The upshot, hopefully, is that, in future, art movements will be forced to come up with better titles, although I'm sure by the time we get to 3,000 AD they'll have had a 2nd wave of modernism. They might call it the 2nd Modernism, or Modernism 2.0. It'll be hell on art history students.

2. Illustration related to videogames will probably find its way into an illustration museum, and possibly one day into museums dedicated to American art, as there are so many great American illustrators, it's one of our strong points. And, we don't have any American Michelangelos or Durers, so we have to make up for it somehow. It'll be very hard to get digital art into a museum, until they figure out how to make a high quality print that's archival and durable longterm. Yeah, I know this already exists to an extent, but even so, the art world may cringe at this, as there's nothing unique about the print. They still have issues with traditional printmaking.

3. What people on this website are doing, predominantly, is not what Michelangelo nor Van Gogh were doing, neither conceptually, philosophically, nor in many practical aspects (same goes with Michelangelo and Van Gogh). The goals and stresses were very different, not to knock on anyone past or present. There are excellent artists out there today, and on this website. There are some artists that I'd confidently agree rival Michelangelo in skill of execution, although half of his genius was in creative design. But, I'd be very slow to ever state, "we're doing what Michelangelo was doing." It's not even close, not even the best of us.

Last edited by TASmith; March 4th, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,044 Times in 681 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dogs playing cards will be forever. I'm not joking.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Dogs playing cards will be forever. I'm not joking.
    In 2005 a pair of C. M. Coolidge’s dogs playing poker paintings sold at auction for $590,400.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogs_Playing_Poker

13. The Following User Says Thank You to bill618 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,519 Times in 2,457 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think, like in Children of Men, great works will be stashed away in nuclear bunkers so some artefacts from the ancient Pre-Space civilizations should persist. Maybe they will be as ubiqitous as now, more so even; maybe it will be hard to tell the real one from all the fakes, if matter compilers get very good. which presumably they will.

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It's already happened. Not for all the most famous works, but many of them are already safely stored while duplicates are placed in museums.

Members who have read this thread: 1