Wacom Companion & Companion Hybrid - Discussion thread - Page 4

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Killer price tag. I will be old by the time I'll save enough green printed presidents. Otherwise, it's awesome, despite outdated hardware and unknown battery life.

DEVIANTART -:|:- FACEBOOK -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, Surface Pro 2 should be a better option without the steep price of Wacom's Companion. I would love the screen size to increase to 13" but I really doubt Surface Pro 2 will get a bump in its screen size. The latest crystal ball says this October.

Last edited by iMigraine; August 20th, 2013 at 02:25 PM. Reason: For got link.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What a huge disappointment. The lack luster hardware they've packaged with this is just pure garbage. It's like they didn't even try. Where the hell is the innovation in this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, what a disappointment indeed. I can't say I'm surprised though, I should have known a company like Wacom, who over the last five years has completely failed to successfully innovate their product line in conjunction with the rapid advancements in tablet technology, would underwhelm. If this thing had Haswell, it would be better, but still overpriced. And the Android tablet is a total non-starter. Who wants Android for $1,500 when you can just go get a Note or something with similar functionality at 30% of the price?

And the Windows 8 version, might as well just go for a discounted Surface Pro, which clearly has its downsides but is good enough when you're saving $1,100. I'm happy to hear the Pro 2 is slated for October release, and I hope that plays out. I bought the orginal Pro and launch day and I was actually pretty impressed, but I ended up returning it because of battery life, limited power, pen calibration, and the fact Windows 8 wasn't quite ready for primetime in terms of display scaling (and native 1080p is a bear on a 10 inch screen). The Surface 2 should resolve most of these issues. The only thing Wacom got right over the Surface is the standard 256GB of storage and 8GB of ram, compared to 128 and 4GB respectively on the Pro. The jury is still out on the 13 inch screen. Size is nice, but quality? And that size comes at the cost of bulk and weight - at almost 4 pounds.

That said I look forward to some hands on impressions.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm I'm digesting what they are releasing and if there will be the ability to upgrade to better hardware.

Having a system that converts to a Cintiq or keep as on the go seems to be a huge bonus.
    2048 levels of pressure sensitivity + tilt.

Realistically if you wanted a portable Cintiq with the power to design on the go you would need a few things.
    Solid laptop (like a MacBook Pro with specs to work with large PSD files + other programs for multi tasking)
    13HD Cintiq
    Power source

Although 2k seems steep an all in one unit like this can do baseline sketching, inking or paint blocking with PS.
    The one thing I'm not sure of is why they decided to use an integrated Graphics Card... That just doesn't go well with PS from what I've been able to gather.
    Also battery life will be a factor... If it lasts 1 hour or less, then its going to be pretty worthless as a stand alone device.

Has anyone looked at the new Samsung ATIV Series 9 Pro Touch, Sony's convertible, or any of the others by ASUS or Lenovo? Those all seem to be pushing towards something closer to what a designer needs. Except where I'm not too keen on is most are capped at 4GB memory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think wacom did pretty good this time around giving the customer what they wanted. there was a large number of people who complained about the 13hd and needing power. you very well could say a lot asked for a portable 13hd. which is exactly what they gave us with the companion line. the lower end companion can be used as a regular cintiq as well, so its not like your paying a ton of money just for an android tablet. your paying 1000 for the cintiq + 500 to have the convenience of a tablet. Thats not a bad deal. plus its using the tegra processor so you couldnt ask for better android hardware.

People complain that you cant use the windows 8 version as a cintiq like the android version but seeing how it already has its own windows 8 hardware i dont see the point and can understand why it was omitted.

I am disappointed about not having haswell like everyone but its still a great addition to the wacom line. There is more then quite a few things they got right. I think the companion line would stir interest in anyone looking at the old 13hd. Since the portability is one of the reasons why people choose that size next to price.

im not saying its perfect especially the price but its still a really sweet device.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    your paying 1000 for the cintiq + 500 to have the convenience of a tablet. Thats not a bad deal. plus its using the tegra processor so you couldnt ask for better android hardware.
    This was my point too. I wonder what sort of connections it has, battery life etc. We haven't heard a peep out of arshes on this. I think people were unrealistically wanting a tower in a handheld. Not gonna happen. there's a lot of computing that goes on in our software. I would imagine it's going to need a backup battery or something if you want to keep it going any length at all.

If it works well, they are going to make so much more money off that stylus than the tablet. Think of all the tablets out there right now. Students, wannabe artists, doodlers, kids. And they're affordable. high priced, but affordable. Those things will sell themselves if they work right.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ivy bridge probably helped them keep their costs "Wacom reasonable" I think Haswell would have put this thing over $3000, ha. Thing is Haswell's greatest improvement was battery life. In spades. Like 5 hours to 9 hours. So yeah, it's a shame.

The reason it pisses me off that the Companion can't be used like a Cintiq is because in 4 years when the companion innards are looking pretty weak and outdated your investment still would hold up in the form of a cintiq, justifying the steep price somewhat.
    That's one of the big reasons people justify the cost of any cintiq to begin with. Because it doesn't contain the hardware it never gets "old" you can still buy a cintiq from 8 years ago on Ebay and use it with powerful hardware. It keeps it's value.

Allowing this feature on the Cintiq Companion would have given it the true edge over competition from Samsung ATIV Q and Fujitsu T902.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoneseeker View Post
    The reason it pisses me off that the Companion can't be used like a Cintiq is because in 4 years when the companion innards are looking pretty weak and outdated your investment still would hold up in the form of a cintiq, justifying the steep price somewhat.
    That's one of the big reasons people justify the cost of any cintiq to begin with. Because it doesn't contain the hardware it never gets "old" you can still buy a cintiq from 8 years ago on Ebay and use it with powerful hardware. It keeps it's value.

Allowing this feature on the Cintiq Companion would have given it the true edge over competition from Samsung ATIV Q and Fujitsu T902.

Or when the battery wimps out, you can hook it up and still use it as opposed to sending it somewhere to get the battery replaced replaced. That's something I'd want is a freakin' battery door on a tablet! 40 bucks for my ipod battery and a chance to break the screen. thanks apple.

www.findphil.com for a look at my older stuff
    www.facebook.com/vig.illustrationgraphics for recent stuff
    http://velikan.tumblr.com/ for the latest up-to-the-minute stuff, and process nonsense
    And finally, http://www.here-there-be-monsters.net/ is the place to be if you want to buy some of my work that has been kitted by the talented hand of Dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I discovered something neat on youtube the other day. With the hybrid companion when you plug it into a laptop and it turns into a cintiq you dont have to plug the cintiq into a power outlet. it uses the internal battery. so you could run a laptop on the battery with a cintiq on itsbattery without any requirement to having an ac outlet for either of them. if you disconnect the hdmi cord it switches back to android and you can see how much battery life you have. then plug the hdmi back in and bam it goes back to cintiq mode. no reboot required.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the video I saw in youtube that gives a bit of review of the new cintiq companion hybrid and it was done by shogmaster.

Cintiq companion hybrid playlist

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I'm holding out for the Surface Pro 2.

That price is utterly nonsensical for the hardware involved.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am very happy about this new professional joypad. Does anyone has experienced it's performance
    with Adobe Flash, I draw and animate in flash. Just curious if there are any reviews you have seen
    so far on youtube or other forums.

Sketchbook - . Show Real - . Commission me- Online Shop - .

*critique* advice* help full links* paint overs, highly appreciated !

Submissions accepted;"DRAW THE CHANGE you want to see in the WORLD!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I took the liberty of changing the thread title to the actual device name now that it's released.

Cheers
    -Nemome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/05/w...-on/#continued

Engadget just released this review of the Wacom Companion.

I wish I would of found the booth at PAX2013, but oh well.

After reading the review and hearing that the team had issues with stuttering I think I'm more inclined to look at the Android Hybrid or wait in the Surface Pro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondok View Post
    After reading the review and hearing that the team had issues with stuttering I think I'm more inclined to look at the Android Hybrid or wait in the Surface Pro.
    From your link they are saying just they tried to do something that could slow down any other workstation...what a confusing way to say that lol
    When we tried it, we found that performance was a little on the laggy size, and part of that is perhaps, because of our expectation. We had hoped that this would behave like a Windows 8 tablet, but in reality, this is a Core i7 PC. Considering that even a high end PC would struggle with editing multiple DSLR images at once, we can't fault the hardware for stuttering every now and again.
    Remember that such bloggers/journalists don't do much with such hardware as they are mostly like chicken which found a toothpick.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hecartha View Post
    From your link they are saying just they tried to do something that could slow down any other workstation...what a confusing way to say that lol

Remember that such bloggers/journalists don't do much with such hardware as they are mostly like chicken which found a toothpick.
    Oh yes, I totally agree.
    It's more of that I'm inclined to wait then give up on the product.

Interesting that it can't handle large photos if that's true.
    Currently I do post production using photoshop or LR across, sometimes in the upwards of 1100 images. I'm using a gen 1 i5 quad and 8 gigs of memory with standard HDD setup on Raid 1/0. Sometimes it gets slow but in thinking if their statement has any validity it still gives me pause.

Ill try to do the buy and test up to the return period and post a review. It won't be so much on conceptual design as it would be for touch up. But I work on RAW files that can get up to 100mb+ which should give it a run for the money

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    we dont get desktop pc performance from .5 inch thick devices yet. people need to stop trying to compare them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Surface Pro 2 announcement coming September 23rd. I'm leaning towards that over the new Cintiq. Won't be as good from a Wacom perspective, but for half the price it will have most of the features, and it's just a portable workstation anyway. I'd rather have Haswell and the smaller form factor, even though a 13" screen would be nice. But it will weigh twice as much, use outdated tech, and again, cost twice as much (or more!). Only real disadvantage to Pro is the glossy screen, which isn't great to draw on, not much drag. But I imagine their are screen covers to help with this? Regardless, I hope the Pro 2 gets an October release.

I bought the Pro 1 but returned it a few days later. I think this new one will address nearly all the problems of the original, including poor pen calibration which I understand has already been fixed on the original.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Malifer View Post
    we dont get desktop pc performance from .5 inch thick devices yet. people need to stop trying to compare them.

Why is that? At least support your statement considering a desktop like the one I mentioned is close to 6 years old. New generation Ultrabooks are a lot faster then my system so I don't think people's "want" for micronized hardware is far from the truth. SSD flash drives are clocked at 30x even 50x-100 faster (see latest article below from Anandtech) for RAM based tasks than a standard HDD. Less volatile and most thin devices have SSD or form of flash storage in them. CPUs now are including a GPU, again saving space in a chasis. Maybe you're thinking of STATE of the art hardware in a desktop Vs a mobile device (tablet, laptop etc..). If that's the case, your statement has validity, otherwise comparing something from years ago is not, due to the micronization of hardware.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7287/a...ops-vs-laptops

MacBook Air version 1 was close to what my Dekstop was able to achieve from a post production stand point.

If there is any disbelief in how fast technology has evolved, I would recommend reading Popular Science and finding the article on the miconization of satellite technology. Basically the editor and chief of PS, was able to preview new satellites the size of a Rubix Cube which had the same power + some from a satellite the size of a house less than 10 years ago.

So again the pipe dream is NOT fiction, it's closer to reality then you would think.
    If you don't believe me about the Popular Science article then here's the reference for you:
    http://www.popsci.com/technology/art...ocratize-space

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    despite all current devices like samsung slate 7, surface pro, samsung note 10, fujitsu t902. Cintiq companion is the first true portable device which can be caried and used anywhere with express keys and I believe best surface for drawing. I'm just waiting for any video which could show true drawing on big canvas size with colours and large brush sizes and see the performance if it handles PS well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well at least there is an artist who was able to test both the Hybrid and Win8 version. Sadly she nailed several things that most artists would consider deal breakers.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/r...ds-on-review2/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bondok View Post
    Well at least there is an artist who was able to test both the Hybrid and Win8 version. Sadly she nailed several things that most artists would consider deal breakers.

http://www.digitalartsonline.co.uk/r...ds-on-review2/
    I didn't find either of those reviews very useful or qualified. They are a tiny snapshot of someone messing with the unit a little bit. I can't speak first hand on the Win 8 Companion but I do own the Hybrid and have gotten a couple weeks to settle in and get acquainted with it. I am not a professional but there aren't a lot of in depth reviews of the devices yet so you'll have to settle for my take until a true pro weighs in. I plan on writing up a full review with pics and all soon but I'll hit the highlights here.

Initially I was struck by a couple things, good and bad.

1. It's a little heavier than a typical "tablet". You're not going to walk around with one hand in your pocket and the Companion in the other browsing stock prices.

2. It is on the large side. While it feels a little less portable than a true tablet, the real estate, which includes a healthy area around the screen it self, is very good for gaining leverage as you draw/paint on it with out being propped up on the stand (ie in your lap). So you really need to be planning on creating with this thing more than you plan on consuming with it. If you want tiny bezels that make it look like a tool out of star trek then you may be disappointed. If you want a digital canvas that you can grip and maneuver with out fear of mis-engaging the screen, then the thing is a one of a kind.

3. Resolution. Initially I thought the resolution was sub par. I couldn't understand how this could be with a 1920x1080 screen. I thought it must be the matte finish. After some very intense scrutiny I found that most of the resolution issues really just came down to content not being designed for such a large Android device yet. The largest out there these days is 10" so most apps only optimize to this size screen. HD tablet apps are becoming more common though and the ones that are HD look great.

An additional note about the matte finish. I do believe it diminishes the resolution/clarity. I understand it is to improve the feel of the tip on the surface, which it does. But it still doesn't feel like graphite on paper and never will. So I wish they gave you the option to get a glossy surface so the resolution really shined through. Also, the matter coating is estensably the reason that the touch sensitivity is so low, which brings me to...

4. Touch sensitivity. While much of the form of the Companion is subjective, unfortunately this is the only purely negative aspect. There are times when I press on the screen with my finger over and over and it just doesn't register. Other times instead of swiping it selects as if I were trying to press a button and not swipe. When the touch screen works it is great. When it doesn't it is pretty frustrating. Usually all it takes is for me to switch to a different finger but the response of a touch screen has definitely come to be something we expect to be at a certain level.

5. Express Keys. Really one of the biggest reasons I decided to keep the Hybrid. I can't imagine working for long periods of time on something in PS with out them.

6. Battery Life. Pretty good. I have yet to run the battery down completely after a day of use. On par or better than most portable devices.

7. Stylus. I love the Wacom stylus. The way a drawing instrument feels in my hand should probably not be that big a deal (from a skill standpoint) but it sure is to me right now. Wacom stylus is second to none for me. Thought I wish the buttons didn't rattle so much. First world problem.

8. Android apps. Not a ton of options yet but luckily there is a very good one in Sketchbook Pro. It just got another refresh and it is a strong app. Still has a couple wrinkles but it is super good for sketching and pretty good for painting.

9. Wacom Creative Canvas app. Not there yet. It shows some potential but they have a ways to go.

10. As a Cintiq attached to my laptop. Great. The accolades of the 13HD are well documented. Its awesome.

11. How I use it.

Unplugged: When it is in Android mode I use it for sketching most. Then for e-magazines. The huge screen is great for mags but some of them are still not HD yet. And games that are tablet optimized rock too.

Wired: I paint and draw in PS. While the PS workspace is plenty big to work in, I am certain using a screen any smaller than 13" would be very difficult (such as the 10" screens on most tablets". I am curious to see if I hooked the Cintiq into a windows 8 with touch machine if I could use the windows touch interface as if it were native. Maybe there is someone here that has some insight on that.

Bottom line. Its a creation tablet. It is designed to be a tool for an artist and give some added flexibility while in transit. As with all things, there are things I'd change about it if I were king for a day and there are things I love about it. I enjoy the thing most when I am drawing and painting with it and I think that is the measure that matters.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good post. I'm having trouble finding qualified reviews anywhere, but it's still early in the product cycle. I'm currently using an ancient 21UX that weighs a ton, takes up too much precious studio real estate and I've been looking to upgrade for awhile. Unless serious negative reviews start coming in on the Hybrid, Wacom's getting my cash.

Who you gonna believe, me or your lyin' eyes? - Chico Marx

sketchblog

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Members who have read this thread: 8